Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Seeking clarification on 'Special Roads'

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

FRS900
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:00 - 11 Apr 2021    Post subject: Seeking clarification on 'Special Roads' Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm currently a very weary L plater looking to get on with my DAS at some point this year. Aside from the regular 46-50 mile daily commute, I'm racking up a fair few miles by simply... well... enjoying riding.

As things start to open up, I'm looking forward to doing longer rides; going to see friends further afield, and doing work-related travel armed with nothing more than an A-Z and a trusty YBR 125.

I'm based in South Wales and looking to meet a few friends up North (North of England) later on in the summer while making a tour of it.

One of the routes I want to take is the A470 and A487 from Cardiff then the North Wales Expressway (A55) to Chester.

But apparently part of my route is a 'special road'. Namely between J17 at Conwy to J23 at Llanddulas. I'm hearing a mixture of different things as to whether I can use this stretch of road. Some say no L plates; others say yes L plates; others say yes because I'm not 50cc or below...

I was hoping to get some sort of clarification so that I don't end up being pulled over and whammed with points before I've even got the full licence!

At the same time, if I am not able to then I'd need to find a way of bypassing that stretch of the Expressway... however that's possible. That could be a good 16 mile of road that I cannot use, so there's no knowing how much extra distance that'll put on!

Really appreciate the help and advice in advance.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:40 - 11 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Chester, if you're not taking the A483 (which is meh) I'd just stick with the A470 (which is great) then pick up the A494 (which is also great) at Dolgellau. That'll take you through to Chester

Your next problem is getting from there into the North of England without going on a motorway. I suppose it depends where you're heading but there isn't a good way (I take a very slow motorcycle to the Dragon rally in North Wales from up North every year and if there was a good way without going on motorway, I'd use it). Might land up being best picking up one of the Mersey tunnels, going out through Liverpool and cutting up to Preston on the A59.

I can tell you now, it's a long ride. Longer than the distance would have you believe. Either start early or take 2 days.

EDIT: I also once went up the A5104 juat after the A494 crosses the A5. Tricky to stay on but goes all the way to Chester.

F18
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:02 - 11 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the expressway parts to be 'special road' and to avoid at all costs for L riders and also (any) 50cc machines.

As above, avoiding anyway is a fair idea.

andy_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:11 - 11 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The road signage seems to be pretty specific.
https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/thumbs/t_a55.jpg

Minor roads are more fun anyway Thumbs Up

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:54 - 11 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
For Chester, if you're not taking the A483 (which is meh) I'd just stick with the A470 (which is great) then pick up the A494 (which is also great) at Dolgellau.

This, or any other number of brilliant riding roads through Snowdonia. Wales has some of the best roads in the UK - so why in the world would you even be considering the N Wales Expressway, which is definitely not one of them!

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:50 - 11 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
so why in the world would you even be considering the N Wales Expressway,

probably because he wants to get there before he retires....

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:07 - 11 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting post from andy-uk.

The pedant in me says that you are not a driver, but a rider.

The cantankerous a-hole in me notes that if you get your A1 then on a 125 you don’t have to display L plates so in theory then you could ride a special road Laughing

Having just been out for a 50 mile run the ‘biker’ in me says anything but the A55.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 11 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

“Special roads”? Why didn’t they just call that 10 mile section the A55(M) ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:26 - 11 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:

probably because he wants to get there before he retires....

Not really, it seems to me like a long-road for a short-cut if you land up doing 16 miles on the A55 when going from Cardiff to the North of England anyway.

If you wanted a quick route, you'd cut across to Hereford and go all the way up the A49 to Warrington, which is what I do if I want to get back up North by the most direct route while avoiding Motorways from anywhere South West-ish. It sucks though (but not as much as the M5/M6 "smart motorway" and inevitable average speed zone roadworks).

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:51 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot to be said for, as you put it, going armed only with your trusty YBR125 and an A-Z.

However unless you know how to avoid the main routes and know exactly where you're going, I find going armed with a satnav set to avoid motorways just as good. I don't own a biker specific TomTom but I understand there's an option on them to set it for more fun/twisty/scenic routes.

When I go to the south of France and/or Spain once or twice a year I always set my satnav to avoid tolls and avoid motorways. No idea where I'm going until I get to my destination (maybe the occasional zoom-out to get my bearings) but the routes it picks out are to die for!

I just use a Rokform holder and phone case and stick it on Google Maps.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:31 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Re: Seeking clarification on 'Special Roads' Reply with quote

FRS900 wrote:

But apparently part of my route is a 'special road'. Namely between J17 at Conwy to J23 at Llanddulas. I'm hearing a mixture of different things as to whether I can use this stretch of road. Some say no L plates; others say yes L plates; others say yes because I'm not 50cc or below...

North Wales, especially the coast, is my stomping grounds. Absolutely No L plates, you read about confused learners getting it both barrels from NWP every so often. Runs from the Black Cat to Llandulas IIRC.
The A55 is a fucking soulless road. I hate it on my VFR which is designed to munch miles. I'd hate it more on a 125. Take the coast road, the A5, hell, there's a multitude of roads that are far better for any bike. A 125 is going to be pinned constantly and probably bullied on the A55. What timescale are you looking at? I can probably chuck you up a route in google maps with some interesting roads on it.

Last edited by ThatDippyTwat on 11:01 - 12 Apr 2021; edited 1 time in total

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:54 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Re: Seeking clarification on 'Special Roads' Reply with quote

As all the above. The A55 (further east) also has a habit of having the odd tractor tootling along at 25mph - this means that all traffic ends up piling into the outside lane to get past it. It's busy. Unless your timing is immaculate / you're lucky with gaps in traffic, that'll be fun to get past as you won't be able to accelerate.

As others have mentioned, it's pretty dull and on a 125 the climb up from Rhuallt (going east) is pretty steep for a dual carriageway (albeit it has a 3rd climbing lane here) - you'll be probably down to 40mph with HGVs overtaking you.

I'd cut across Snowdonia, maybe even over the Horseshoe Pass and across (average speed cameras on the other side these days but less of an issue on a 125!).

Finally, as Stinkwheel said, the Northwest of England (specifically the area around the Manchester Ship Canal) is horrendous to get across without motorways. You've effectively got the choices of either motorways (which are out obviously) or toll bridges, with the odd exception. Could weave in a route going over the new Runcorn bridge (Mersey Gateway) - not sure if there are any learner restrictions on it, but it is a toll bridge, except for bikes it is free! It's an impressive structure.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:38 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Re: Seeking clarification on 'Special Roads' Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
the Northwest of England (specifically the area around the Manchester Ship Canal) is horrendous to get across without motorways.

Yep - OP, we don't know far and where oop North you are going, but might be worth heading East from Wrexham/Chester to the Peak District and then riding North that way. Still can't entirely avoid built-up areas but you can minimise them with care and there are some lovely roads that way.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:15 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

If you wanted a quick route,

nothin about this trek is gonna be quick..

you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:45 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

If you wanted a quick route,

nothin about this trek is gonna be quick..

you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

True, so may as well make it good. So A470 then A494...

There is a little cafe just off the big car park in Dolgellau that does a SUPERB all day breakfast.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:49 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

the only good bit ..is the fact I'm not doing it Neutral

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:24 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

The bad part is that after the beacons, you're turning off before the good bits of the A470 (Coed-y-Brenin and northwards).

If you're after a quick route that's not scenic, then A470 Cardiff to Newtown then A483 through Wrexham to Chester. From Chirk to Chester, the A483 is NSL dual carrigeway. with the odd 50 stretch past Wrexham. If you want a route past that avoids it, yell out.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 351 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1