Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Pavement parking ticket

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:08 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Pavement parking ticket Reply with quote

I got a parking ticket a couple of weeks ago for parking on the pavement on Maidstone High Street while I went into NatWest. It was a dumb fuck thing to do but thought I'd try my luck, and I've had a lot of success recently at tribunal getting parking/traffic tickets overturned that had initially been rejected by the local authority (I think more through lack of initiative or willingness to commit funds and resources to the case on the part of the local authority if I'm honest than the actual plausibility of my case, COVID-19 and lack of staff/resources may also have played a part in this).

Either way:

Maidstone High Street is a pedestrian zone with exceptions for disabled badge holders, buses, taxis, for "access to off street premises" at any time, and for loading by HGV from 5:30pm to 10:30am:
https://i.ibb.co/60BTCsG/1.png

The ticket they gave me was Code02 parked or loading/unloading in a restricted street where waiting and loading/unloading restrictions are in force.

Bit flimsy maybe but my challenge to the council was that my bike wasn't parked "in the street" as their ticket claims. It was parked on the pavement (which is a very grey area as to whether or not that's legal but I'll go into that later) but I think the most flimsy part of the challenge is claiming that being parked on the pavement isn't actually being parked in the street as they claimed. What do you guys think? Is being parked on the pavement classed as being parked on the street? Surely I can't be the first biker to get a ticket for parking on the pavement, I'm guessing there must be a whole raft of people on here who have challenged such tickets with varying amounts of success?

Did my vehicle even have legitimate reason to be in the area? It would be a stretch to argue that NatWest is an off street premises as it's right on the High Street. But I never actually admitted I was going to NatWest. There's a PROPER pedestrian zone down Week Street which is adjacent to NatWest and spurs off from the High Street that not even Buses and Cycles are allowed down. I could argue I needed to gain access to one of the businesses down there and this was the closest point I could get my bike to without actually riding down the pedestrianised pavement?

They rejected my challenge and now I either have to pay the fine or wait for the notice to owner to come through at which point I can take it to tribunal. Their reason for refusing my representation didn't address the fact I was parked on the pavement and not on the road though. They came back to me with "The area in which your vehicle was parked is a Pedestrian Zone. Pedestrian Zones are areas where you may not park at any time and by parking there you were in contravention of the parking places order.".

I've done a lot of searching on Google and while I cant find any solid government legislation to back my theory up, a lot of credible sources on the internet are saying that the legality of parking on the pavement is a very grey area. Only London and a very few other local authorities have specific bylaws in place to prohibit parking on the pavement. Everywhere else it's kinda legal but frowned upon but so long as you're not causing an obstruction it's overlooked/allowed.

Where I parked was at a bicycle stand on the pavement:
https://i.ibb.co/2YCHL0F/2.png
You'd be hard pushed to argue that was causing any sort of obstruction. What also springs to my mind is that sign entering the High Street didn't give any permissions for cycles to enter, yet there's a cycle stand on the pavement. Aren't cycles classed as vehicles on the road? I sure thought they were! So if bicycles are allowed to park there why aren't motorcycles?

Regarding the tribunal I see the route of decisions going something like this:

Was there a procedural impropriety in issuing the ticket (i.e. does my argument hold up that I wasn't parked on the street?).

If yes, I win the case, if not:

Do I have a legitimate reason for being in the High Street (i.e. do my reasons for requiring access to off street premises hold up?).

If not I lose the case. If I DO have legitimate reason to be in the High Street, am I permitted to park on the pavement, bearing in mind it's a pedestrian zone?

Bearing in mind there's no legislation I can find that prohibits parking on the pavement. The sign only prohibits access to the High Street for vehicles with exceptions. If you meet those exceptions then surely parking on the pavement should be the same for anywhere else in the country (except London where it's illegal) right?

Also worth bearing in mind, if they say I'm not allowed to park on the pavement why are they allowing other vehicles i.e. bicycles to do so (as long as they're not causing obstruction)?

I'd be really interested to hear your thoughts EVEN if it's not what I want to hear Laughing

Last edited by DUCAUDI on 02:23 - 12 Apr 2021; edited 1 time in total

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:15 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said I have to wait for the notice to owner to come through before I can take it to tribunal but this is my draft challenge:

I am challenging this PCN as I believe there has been a procedural impropriety in its issue.

The PCN was issued for being parked on a restricted street.

MBC's own photographic evidence shows that my motorcycle was not parked on the street as the PCN claims. It was parked on the pavement outside the business establishment I was visiting.

I challenged the PCN to Maidstone Borough Council on this basis and they rejected my representation on the basis that my motorcycle was parked in a pedestrian zone (not that it was parked on the street as indicated on the PCN).

Their change of reasons for issuing the PCN is why I am claiming procedural impropriety.

However, notwithstanding this, the use of the High Street by motor vehicles is restricted with some exceptions; one of which being access to off street premises.

My reason for being in the High Street was indeed for access to an off street premises. My motorcycle was not parked in the street, it was parked on the pavement. To my knowledge no local legislation exists to prohibit the parking of motorcycles on the pavement provided they are not causing an obstruction. As you can see from Maidstone Borough Council's own photographic evidence the footway is more than wide enough and my motorcycle was parked sensibly and responsibly so as not to cause obstruction to anybody.

I have searched the internet extensively for a definitive answer as to whether or not the parking of motorcycles on pavements is allowed or not and while I have been unable to reference any official government legislation, the general consensus from dozens of reputable sources indicate that unless there is a specific bylaw in place by the local authority, it is not illegal to park a motorcycle (or any vehicle) on the pavement, and even if there is a relevant bylaw there should be appropriate signage (which there is none, only the sign permitting access to off street premises which is exactly the reason for my vehicle being there in the first place).

Sources to back up my claims:

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/advice/biking-tips/where-can-you-park-motorcycles-rules#:~:text=Parking%20on%20pavements%20is%20sometimes,life%20it's%20best%20to%20push.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/legal/parking-on-the-pavement/

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q387.htm

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1360472/Can-you-park-on-the-pavement-EVG

Thoughts?

twooo
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 07:16 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuberculosis wrote:

Thoughts?

You admit it was a stupid thing to do, and therefore know fine well you shouldn't have done it. You know chances of getting a ticket are pretty high and at the very least you're going to give yourself a load of grief in the future (as is the case) and may still end up paying a fine.

Suck it up, pay the fine and park in Fremlin car park next time. I know, it's a whole 3 minutes walk and your time is precious. How much time have you spent fighting tickets??

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:38 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the streetview image a car is waiting if not parked which might add weight to the case.
In some places a building frontage is actually not part of the 'road' at all originally there might have bene railings or even garden there.
You could also cite security concerns if you chained to the bike rack.

I did have a similar dispute years ago in a local high street they had parking bays then at intervals a pavement build-out with planters.
There were tarmac triangles where the paving joined parking ideal to park a bike.
They decided to pave over that area with no change of signage so I just continued parking there but got a ticket for 'on footpath'.
They conceded not an obstruction but still wouldn't have it because the paved area had short stretch of double yellows which they said extended no parking on that bit right to the shops adjacent.

Eventually had to pay up but I never went back to that poxy town again so their loss Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:41 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a highway context, the "highway" or "street" is the entire public realm on a given road, including the footway. The extents begin where the public highway begins (usually the front of buildings on these sorts of streets) and extends to the opposite side.

You may wish to be careful; although the local authority is attempting to diddle you on the waiting restrictions, you technically have also breached the Pedestrian Zone order - I am fairly sure this is a traffic offence and potentially endorsable. The person who issued your ticket will have taken photographs and it looks like the ped zone order is in force continuously (unless loading and unloading, but I think you'd be hard pressed to justify that retrospectively!). Probably unlikely to manifest itself, but the local authorities often have close working relationships with the local bobbies and their evidence is considered pretty solid. If they felt particularly annoyed they may share the info . . .

FYI; commonly misunderstood, but the side of the road where a waiting restriction exists (e.g. double yellow lines), the restriction applies to that whole side of the road including the footway; it doesn't just apply to parking along the kerb. This is why some people fall foul and get tickets for parking at the back of very wide footways or even verges (e.g. in industrial estates) even though they're not parked "on" the double yellow lines.

I'd bite the bullet and chalk it up to experience.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:01 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be lifted, transported and crushed if it was in Scotland. Our government has no leeway.
(Unless you're a Scottish government minister.)

Edit:
Easy option is to cough. Expensive refresher on council parking rules.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:05 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't ever admit how you got the bike onto the pavement (unless you did actually push it there with the engine off). You'll wish you just paid the parking ticket otherwise. Wink

edit: apparently I was given bunk info by a cop once and you don't need a lid on to push it along the road.

Last edited by xX-Alex-Xx on 10:21 - 13 Apr 2021; edited 1 time in total

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:09 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You gambled, you lost. You knew it’s was a bit necky and did it anyhow.
Pay up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:19 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

twooo wrote:
You admit it was a stupid thing to do, and therefore know fine well you shouldn't have done it. You know chances of getting a ticket are pretty high and at the very least you're going to give yourself a load of grief in the future (as is the case) and may still end up paying a fine.

Suck it up, pay the fine and park in Fremlin car park next time. I know, it's a whole 3 minutes walk and your time is precious. How much time have you spent fighting tickets??

Taking it to tribunal is all pretty straight forward. It's all done online. It's a calculated gamble. It's double or quits at this point. If I pay now I get the reduced rate of £35. If it goes to Tribunal it'll cost me nothing for the hearing but if I lose I'll forfeit the reduced rate and have to pay the full £70. Personally I'm prepared to roll the dice again, it's paid off in the past although I'm less confident about my case this time. Could just come down to MBC not being willing to commit the required resources to the case. It's happened before! The last few tickets I've had to fight haven't been for parking breaches but for bus lane related infringements for two of my drivers (I run a small taxi business). One parked in a bus stop in Tunbridge Wells to pickup/dropoff and they have a Smart Car equipped with a roof mounted camera that goes round recording infringements and dishing out fines, I could have just paid the fine and passed it on to the driver but I get a little bit of smug satisfaction from these little victories so decided to challenge it. I managed to dig out some legislation that permits taxis to park on a bus stand to pickup and drop off. TWBC were having none of it. I took it to Tribunal citing the specific legislation and TWBC folded. The other one recently was a different driver going down a bus lane where taxis are permitted in the Medway Council area (we're licensed with Tonbridge & Malling Borough Council). Got a ticket because apparently only Medway licensed taxis are permitted to use the lane. Complete bullshit! We've been using bus lanes all over the country for years including central London and rarely get a problem. None of us have EVER had a ticket from TfL or any London borough for using a bus lane and we're up there quite a lot. I personally have had bus lane tickets from Canterbury and Cambridge and IIRC somewhere random like Worcester or something but they were all successfully challenged and cancelled at council-level without going to tribunal once I showed them the taxi licence on the vehicle. So the notion that only Medway licensed vehicles are allowed down there is nonsense. There's no signage to indicate this and I checked all the local bylaws, even their own parking enforcement policy, nothing to back up their theory. Challenged it. Refused. Went to Tribunal. They folded. Victory for the little guy Mr. Green Just makes you wonder how many other poor taxi drivers from surrounding areas have been shafted by Medway Council cos they didn't have the bollocks to take them to tribunal.

doggone wrote:
In the streetview image a car is waiting if not parked which might add weight to the case.
In some places a building frontage is actually not part of the 'road' at all originally there might have bene railings or even garden there.
You could also cite security concerns if you chained to the bike rack

That car you see is in a disabled bay so chances are it either had a disabled badge in the window or it got a ticket too. Well spotted, but no, I don't think this will add any weight to my argument.

I swear I remember hearing or reading something somewhere about there being this law where the first one metre of the pavement outside a business on a street is owned by the business (so they're able to set out A-boards and sandwich boards etc.) and because of this you can legally get away with parking a motorcycle (or any other vehicle so long as it's small enough) on the pavement so long as it's no further than a meter from the building. Anyone else recall this being a thing or have I just imagined it? Either way this wouldn't entirely help me because:
a) I can't actually find any reference to this on the internet anywhere let alone any hard and fast legislation (so a very strong possibility I've just imagined it)
b) my bike was further away from the wall than one metre anyway

ThunderGuts wrote:
In a highway context, the "highway" or "street" is the entire public realm on a given road, including the footway. The extents begin where the public highway begins (usually the front of buildings on these sorts of streets) and extends to the opposite side.

This pretty much backs up what I already suspected. I think that claiming my bike wasn't actually parked in the street could be putting me on thin ice.

ThunderGuts wrote:
You may wish to be careful; although the local authority is attempting to diddle you on the waiting restrictions, you technically have also breached the Pedestrian Zone order - I am fairly sure this is a traffic offence and potentially endorsable. The person who issued your ticket will have taken photographs and it looks like the ped zone order is in force continuously (unless loading and unloading, but I think you'd be hard pressed to justify that retrospectively!). Probably unlikely to manifest itself, but the local authorities often have close working relationships with the local bobbies and their evidence is considered pretty solid. If they felt particularly annoyed they may share the info . . .

Not sure about this. According to the council the whole area is a pedestrian zone. Not just the pavement. And exceptions are made. So al long as your exception is legitimate, I'm not sure parking on the pavement in a pedestrian zone is any worse than parking on the road in a pedestrian zone as the whole thing is a pedestrian zone. And like I said, from the sources I've read so far it appears that parking on the pavement isn't actually illegal apart from in London.

I think maybe the plan of attack is drop the whole "my bike wasn't parked in the street" shenanigans and concentrate more on having legitimate reason to be in the pedestrian zone for access to an off street premises, and the fact that parking on the pavement isn't illegal as long as you're not causing an obstruction.

Don't think I'm just gonna "pay up and chalk it down to experience" as some of you are suggesting. To make things clear I haven't posted this here to try and gain any sympathy, it's just that based on my previous experiences I reckon this could be a coin toss, double or quits so to speak. I think it's worth rolling the dice again. If I fail you won't here me whinging or whining, I'll be stumping up the full £70. I'll keep you posted either way on the unlikely off chance anyone is interested.

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:34 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the expense of looking like I’m rolling over for the state and toeing the line, is it worth it? You may save a couple of minutes parking more locally to where you want to be and save a brief walk but spend hours fighting tickets afterwards?
Still, your time, your decision...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:33 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
Don't ever admit how you got the bike onto the pavement (unless you did actually push it there with the engine off, and your helmet still on). You'll wish you just paid the parking ticket otherwise. Wink

There's no requirement for wearing a crash helmet whilst pushing a motorbike.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bit about the first metre outside a shop being private is rubbish. You do get private bits outside some shops, luck of the draw, but every public highway boundary in the country can vary widely, you need to look at the relevant highway authority's maps to check each one. The back line of the highway can even go in and out, different for buildings next door to each other, usually because of the buildings that may have been there before the current ones were built.

I've had to repave a large area of footway near Aldgate Station and then have a line of blocks cut in afterwards in a crazy pattern, straight lines, then right angles, 45 degree angles etc, just because that was the old building line, but the developer didn't build up to it because they wanted some landscaping or new pedestrian areas. The developer paid me to do all the areas in the same material, but I needed to put a physical reminder of what was ours and what was their land in case there is ever a liability claim when a dozy pedestrian falls over and breaks something they need. You could still get a parking ticket all the way to the building line though, I was just marking which bits we repair and which bits are theirs to fix.

These days, thanks to a court case a few years ago, lots of adjudicators consider the waiting or loading restriction to go all the way up to the building line unless there is something physical first, like a fence or a line of bollards, something that stops Joe Public wandering freely.

Find the traffic order for the offence they are trying to do you for, the waiting and loading order I assume. Read it, it might be wrong, it might be experimental and never made permanent after expiry date, it may have an exemption you can prove you fulfilled. It might even give a bay location that bears no resemblance to what's on the ground.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:11 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

yen_powell wrote:
The bit about the first metre outside a shop being private is rubbish. You do get private bits outside some shops, luck of the draw, but every public highway boundary in the country can vary widely, you need to look at the relevant highway authority's maps to check each one. The back line of the highway can even go in and out, different for buildings next door to each other, usually because of the buildings that may have been there before the current ones were built.

I've had to repave a large area of footway near Aldgate Station and then have a line of blocks cut in afterwards in a crazy pattern, straight lines, then right angles, 45 degree angles etc, just because that was the old building line, but the developer didn't build up to it because they wanted some landscaping or new pedestrian areas. The developer paid me to do all the areas in the same material, but I needed to put a physical reminder of what was ours and what was their land in case there is ever a liability claim when a dozy pedestrian falls over and breaks something they need. You could still get a parking ticket all the way to the building line though, I was just marking which bits we repair and which bits are theirs to fix.

These days, thanks to a court case a few years ago, lots of adjudicators consider the waiting or loading restriction to go all the way up to the building line unless there is something physical first, like a fence or a line of bollards, something that stops Joe Public wandering freely.

Find the traffic order for the offence they are trying to do you for, the waiting and loading order I assume. Read it, it might be wrong, it might be experimental and never made permanent after expiry date, it may have an exemption you can prove you fulfilled. It might even give a bay location that bears no resemblance to what's on the ground.

Do the brass buttons in the pavement no longer define the boundary of the building plot, for parking purposes?

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:39 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:

FYI; commonly misunderstood, but the side of the road where a waiting restriction exists (e.g. double yellow lines), the restriction applies to that whole side of the road including the footway; it doesn't just apply to parking along the kerb. This is why some people fall foul and get tickets for parking at the back of very wide footways or even verges (e.g. in industrial estates) even though they're not parked "on" the double yellow lines.

I would say the exemption to this, from experience, is if by some luck the area in question is private or unadopted land.

I have got tickets overturned where I parked a car on a footpath outside a shop I rented because the footpath upto the edge of the kerb was part of the shop property and noted so on Land Registry info.

Best way to find out is spend a half hour researching shops to let in that spot over the year or 2, their location plans and council planning docs have to have outlined spacing of various areas and be clearly marked with regards to what you're doing in the available space.
- this is very handy with pavement cafes who specifically floor-plan the kerbs and street furniture for scale.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:30 - 13 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

st3v3 wrote:
ThunderGuts wrote:

I would say the exemption to this, from experience, is if by some luck the area in question is private or unadopted land.

I have got tickets overturned where I parked a car on a footpath outside a shop I rented because the footpath upto the edge of the kerb was part of the shop property and noted so on Land Registry info.

Best way to find out is spend a half hour researching shops to let in that spot over the year or 2, their location plans and council planning docs have to have outlined spacing of various areas and be clearly marked with regards to what you're doing in the available space.
- this is very handy with pavement cafes who specifically floor-plan the kerbs and street furniture for scale.

A bike gear shop I used in Glasgow has a big wide pavement.
We were previously allowed to park our bikes onnthe pavement next to the shop window.

Parking restrictions were adjusted and now it is not allowed and ticketed if parked on the pavement.

There's a demarcated bike parking area on the road there now though.

The PIA about that is cars park on the bike parking.

Folk wonder why their cars get keyed. Very Happy

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:57 - 13 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
yen_powell wrote:

Do the brass buttons in the pavement no longer define the boundary of the building plot, for parking purposes?
They definitely show the property boundary. City of London has lots of places with studs, metal strips showing their property line and signs saying there is no intention to dedicate as highway, or alleys that close one day a year so they don't become highway by accident, long use without interruption. Best bet for a ticket free existence is a physical object that can be parked behind, then you can show it is not part of the highway or affected by the waiting and loading order. As I said, one bloke went all the way to court on this point and got stuffed and that has set a precedent.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 5 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1