Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Return to biking and Diversion 900 problem

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

victorludorum
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:12 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Return to biking and Diversion 900 problem Reply with quote

Hello! Smile

After having a break from riding when i sold my ZRX1200, I've jumped back in, but with a cheap and hopefully solid Diversion 900. I'm not looking for too many thrills, but just a comfortable ride to get me out and about to do a bit of tourism (living in France). The bike has only done 32,000 km; it's a bit tatty, but nothing serious. It runs well, but it does seem to be blowing the 'signal' fuse regularly. I've taken a bit of the plastic off today and will look a bit further this weekend. The only clue that I have is that it happens when the fuel level is low, so i'm wondering if it's something to do with the level sensor. The fuel gauges seem to have a bad rep on these bikes, but could a level sensor be causing a 20amp fuse to blow?
Cheers all Wink

Gary.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:06 - 13 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just unplug / disconnect the level sensor but make sure the live feed is insulated.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:39 - 13 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has the bike got any additional electrical items (extra spot lights, a phone charger or heated grips etc.) on it that might be running off that circuit? Probably a bit of a bodge but try putting a 25amp fuse in there or maybe even a 30amp. Not actually fixing the cause, just avoiding the symptoms. While most people will advise against allowing more amperage through a circuit than it was designed for, most are designed to take around twice the stated amperage before the wiring starts getting anywhere near warm. So 20amp to 25amp, maybe even 30amp, should be no problem.

victorludorum
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:56 - 13 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing has been added to the bike at all, so the circuit should be as it left the factory. I'm going to take the tank off this weekend and see how things look. Cheers all Wink

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:16 - 13 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
Why not just unplug / disconnect the level sensor but make sure the live feed is insulated.

Because that doesn't fix the actual problem.

Check the wiring under the tank - it's likely there's been some chafing and conductors have been exposed. You can use self amalgamating tape to repair it or cut the wire, slide some heatshrink over it (glue lined or marine is best), strip the ends, solder and then insulate with the heatshrink.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:05 - 14 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been through the same on the 600, chasing a blowing fuse on the signal circuit. Have a look at the wiring diagram, on the 600 at least its feeding the indicators and the neutral light and maybe 1 more feed. Have a bunch of fuses ready and slowly eliminate each item by unplugging them until you find the cause. Also worth wiggling the bars and the loom it goes into to see if you can cause it to pop in a certain spot.

For me, it was a short around the headstock in that circuit, obviously for you, it could be anywhere in that circuit.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:23 - 14 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
jaffa90 wrote:

Because that doesn't fix the actual problem.

Check the wiring under the tank - it's likely there's been some chafing and conductors have been exposed. You can use self amalgamating tape to repair it or cut the wire, slide some heatshrink over it (glue lined or marine is best), strip the ends, solder and then insulate with the heatshrink.

"""The only clue that I have is that it happens when the fuel level is low, so i'm wondering if it's something to do with the level sensor."""

My reply eliminates the wonder of the level sensor. Razz

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:18 - 14 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:

"""The only clue that I have is that it happens when the fuel level is low, so i'm wondering if it's something to do with the level sensor."""

My reply eliminates the wonder of the level sensor. Razz

It's fine as a test, not as a fix.

victorludorum
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:43 - 22 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played around with it at the weekend and saw that the fuel level sensor has a plug connector just underneath, so i disconnected that and the fuse is not blowing now. I filled up the tank and took it out for a run and so far it's ok. The fuel sensor could be a red herring of course, but I'm pretty confident it's not. Fingers crossed anyway!

Cheers for all the input; i appreciate it Wink

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:42 - 22 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess it would be when something in the level sensor activates and then something in the loom wiring could be shorting.

So it's worth checking the wiring that runs from that plug back through the loom.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 362 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1