Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Import duty post brexit.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 05 Apr 2021    Post subject: Import duty post brexit. Reply with quote

Has anyone bought from fc moto since we officially left Europe? Or any other Europe based retailers for that matter.

If do, how much is the import duty we now have to pay?

(I know there's stuff on the internet, but it'd be nice to get some idea of the real numbers).

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 05 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been holding off ordering from XLMOTO for the same reason.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:18 - 05 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

No import duty, but the VAT rules have changed so if you're buying something below some arbitrary cost (about £135 I think?) you pay VAT at source (assuming the seller is registered for UK VAT) and if it's over £135 I think you pay it on import.

It's a dumb rule and it was brought in as a sneaky at the point of Brexit. If things were as they were before we wouldn't have anywhere near the hassle we're now having buying from the EU.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:04 - 05 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's making shopping a nightmare on eBay too.
(Also noticed a marked increase in prices since xmas). We are now a captive market!

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:48 - 06 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It cost me £54 to import a £200 bagster seat from the Netherlands.

£12 of that was the paperwork charge from FedEx.

DJS
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:36 - 06 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought a £100 used part for a vintage bike from Australia via EBay.
Ebay charged me VAT at the point of sale (for a used part that was originally manufactured in the UK in the 1920s FFS!) and then I had to pay another £19 To the Royal Mail in duty before they would deliver it to me.
Thieving barstewards all of them!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:31 - 06 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeypony wrote:

No it didn't. Pre-Brexit the cost on the sellers site would have been £240 as it would already have included the VAT.

the £12-14 quid form Fedex was to collect teh import VAT (£40) and send it to HMRC. It is this charge that is somewhat annoying and a consequence of our exit from EU.
On the other hand at least we have Covid Vaccines.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:45 - 06 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Monkeypony wrote:

No it didn't. Pre-Brexit the cost on the sellers site would have been £240 as it would already have included the VAT.

the £12-14 quid form Fedex was to collect teh import VAT (£40) and send it to HMRC. It is this charge that is somewhat annoying and a consequence of our exit from EU.

Well no because the £200 price on the seat presumably already includes VAT paid in the NL? There may be some way to claim back the 21% paid in the EU, the same way as we do tax refunds here for people exporting goods but its complicated and a lot of time wasted.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 13:02 - 06 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

Parcel Force have been charging an unavoidable £12 fee to pay duty for at least 15 years.

I feel it is at best a dodgy interpretation of the laws/rules around duty. If I could be bothered I would do some research and take them to court about it. It makes me incredibly angry whenever I get stung.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:09 - 06 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

CorriganJ wrote:
There may be some way to claim back the 21% paid in the EU

That 21% is pocketed by the retailer.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:37 - 06 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
CorriganJ wrote:
There may be some way to claim back the 21% paid in the EU

Nice additional margin from UK-based customers eh Crying or Very sad

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:49 - 06 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

CorriganJ wrote:
A100man wrote:

Well no because the £200 price on the seat presumably already includes VAT paid in the NL? There may be some way to claim back the 21% paid in the EU, the same way as we do tax refunds here for people exporting goods but its complicated and a lot of time wasted.

Unlikely, they want to look competitive and so they quote ex-VAT prices for the UK. I'll bet if you changed the currency to Euros on the buying site with delivery to EU it would be the Euro equivalent of 240 GBP. No need to feel hard done by.

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:45 - 06 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

Unlikely, they want to look competitive and so they quote ex-VAT prices for the UK. I'll bet if you changed the currency to Euros on the buying site with delivery to EU it would be the Euro equivalent of 240 GBP. No need to feel hard done by.

Ah well if its a ex-vat price then yes obviously and that would be paid regardless of where you are. But I worked once in retail and we would have rich customers from asia that would ask for vat refund forms so claim back the VAT they paid when they left the country

boundy
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:10 - 06 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

From fc moto

We ship VAT-free to destinations outside the EU.
The 19% German VAT will be automatically deducted from the invoice total.
You may, however, be liable for import duties. Please contact your customs office to find out about possible customs duties or import fees.
Customers residing in the EU, who hold a valid EU tax/VAT ID will receive a VAT-free invoice. Please note your EU tax/VAT ID in the comment field for your order.

XL moto

We have our warehouse in continental Europe and we are working on adjusting to the Brexit changes that are effective January 1, 2021.

Due to customs clearance and to the new transit processes at the border, it will take longer for you to receive your parcel.
We will handle all customs duties, import fees VAT and similar, to ensure your shopping experience is the same as before. There are no additional charges to pay upon delivery.

For the sames reasons, it may take longer for your return parcel to reach us..

Louis Moto

Attention!
Our Service: We always pay any applicable customs charges plus the VAT on your order before shipping it to you.
So you can be sure there’ll be no unwelcome surprises. Simply place your order and enjoy!

Looks like FC moto is the one that will most likely incur additional handling charges

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:54 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Re: Import duty post brexit. Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
I know there's stuff on the internet, but it'd be nice to get some idea of the real numbers.

Can't give you fixed numbers but can give you some sort of idea.

I recently ordered a taxi roof sign from a company in Austria who I've used before. They send you an invoice and you have to do a bank transfer before they dispatch the goods. For UK customers they've changed their bank details now. I think the prices of their good remain the same but now you have to transfer (in pound sterling I might add) the amount on the invoice to their Austrian bank account. NatWest charged me £15 for the privilege of sending money abroad. I haven't received the goods yet but I'm half expecting a demand for customs payment from the Royal Mail informing me the package is being stored at the sorting office until it's paid. We'll see.

Also just last night I ordered a Yoshimura slip-on (for the MT-10 I haven't bought yet!) off eBay from an American seller. sportsbikeshop.co.uk are estimating delivery end of May whereas most eBay sellers are estimating early May (and they're cheaper) so decided to bite the bullet on ordering that as I don't want to have to wait months for it to arrive if I order it after I actually get the bike :-/

ANYWAY no doubt sportsbikeshop.co.uk don't usually stock them and just order direct from USA as and when an order is placed.

There were about 5 different sellers from USA on eBay. Some offering it through the eBay Global Shipping Program which claims to include all import taxes, customs and fees (we'll see if that turns out to be true) and some sellers were offering them with their own shipping options. The Global Shipping options were on the face of it more expensive (£284.01 for the can, £26.90 for postage and £76.90 for import charges), about £70 to £80 more expensive in fact! I just wonder if going with one of the cheaper sellers would have mean getting stung for import charges by Royal Mail and ending up costing more in the long rung.

Thing about Brexit - no pain, no gain. Just gonna have to stomach it aren't we until Bojo strikes some awesome trade deal with USA, China, Russia and the commonwealth Dance!

Ste wrote:

Unlikely. You're not going to have retailers all of a sudden 21% better off. Their competitors will drive down the price to reach an equilibrium roughly the same profit margin they were making before. Unless it's milk we're talking about, that's the only market I'm aware of where the prices are fixed :-/

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:42 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Re: Import duty post brexit. Reply with quote

Tuberculosis wrote:

I recently ordered a taxi roof sign from a company in Austria who I've used before. They send you an invoice and you have to do a bank transfer before they dispatch the goods. For UK customers they've changed their bank details now. I think the prices of their good remain the same but now you have to transfer (in pound sterling I might add) the amount on the invoice to their Austrian bank account. NatWest charged me £15 for the privilege of sending money abroad. I haven't received the goods yet but I'm half expecting a demand for customs payment from the Royal Mail informing me the package is being stored at the sorting office until it's paid. We'll see.

Also just last night I ordered a Yoshimura slip-on (for the MT-10 I haven't bought yet!) off eBay from an American seller. sportsbikeshop.co.uk are estimating delivery end of May whereas most eBay sellers are estimating early May (and they're cheaper) so decided to bite the bullet on ordering that as I don't want to have to wait months for it to arrive if I order it after I actually get the bike :-/

ANYWAY no doubt sportsbikeshop.co.uk don't usually stock them and just order direct from USA as and when an order is placed.

There were about 5 different sellers from USA on eBay. Some offering it through the eBay Global Shipping Program which claims to include all import taxes, customs and fees (we'll see if that turns out to be true) and some sellers were offering them with their own shipping options. The Global Shipping options were on the face of it more expensive (£284.01 for the can, £26.90 for postage and £76.90 for import charges), about £70 to £80 more expensive in fact! I just wonder if going with one of the cheaper sellers would have mean getting stung for import charges by Royal Mail and ending up costing more in the long rung.

Thing about Brexit - no pain, no gain. Just gonna have to stomach it aren't we until Bojo strikes some awesome trade deal with USA, China, Russia and the commonwealth Dance!

Are you VAT registered? If you are then the taxi sign will be the same price from Austria that you used to pay and will always have been shipped ex-VAT. If not then the Austrian company should have reduced their price to exclude their VAT. On entry HMRC will want import VAT at 20% and the courier will probably charge an admin fee to collect this for them. There is no import duty component for the 'customs payment' since we have a trade deal.

For the American item you will have to pay import duty and VAT I guess (no trade deal) no matter which option you choose, and I suspect you're correct in thinking that the cheaper sellers will prove more costly in the long run...

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Re: Import duty post brexit. Reply with quote

Tuberculosis wrote:
NatWest charged me £15 for the privilege of sending money abroad.

Next time - assuming you can't use a credit card with a non-loaded exchange rate - try https://wise.com/ - works out much cheaper

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:31 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Re: Import duty post brexit. Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Are you VAT registered? If you are then the taxi sign will be the same price from Austria that you used to pay and will always have been shipped ex-VAT. If not then the Austrian company should have reduced their price to exclude their VAT. On entry HMRC will want import VAT at 20% and the courier will probably charge an admin fee to collect this for them. There is no import duty component for the 'customs payment' since we have a trade deal.

For the American item you will have to pay import duty and VAT I guess (no trade deal) no matter which option you choose, and I suspect you're correct in thinking that the cheaper sellers will prove more costly in the long run...

The taxi sign arrived and I'm pleased to say no customs charges were asked for by the courier.

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Next time - assuming you can't use a credit card with a non-loaded exchange rate - try https://wise.com/ - works out much cheaper

That's ace, thanks!

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:27 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

FC Moto...... I could tell you what I think the F.C. stands for. Only bought from them once and that was once too often.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:48 - 13 Apr 2021    Post subject: Re: Import duty post brexit. Reply with quote

Tuberculosis wrote:

The taxi sign arrived and I'm pleased to say no customs charges were asked for by the courier.

Good news - was it under the 135 quid limit I wonder?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:50 - 13 Apr 2021    Post subject: Re: Import duty post brexit. Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Tuberculosis wrote:

I think it has to be over £135 to be free from stupid charges.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:34 - 13 Apr 2021    Post subject: Re: Import duty post brexit. Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
A100man wrote:

I think it has to be over £135 to be free from stupid charges.

The only difference is that under 135 the seller has to collect the import VAT on behalf of HMRC (so it's probably bundled in the price paid) and over 135 the seller can remove the VAT and it gets added at point of entry into the UK (but likely with an admin charge from courier).

At the end of the day it's just juggling the same tax we always had, but now HMRC are trying to offload the collection of the itsy bits to the EU sellers.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:12 - 15 Apr 2021    Post subject: Re: Import duty post brexit. Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

It was just under £170 Shocked

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:21 - 15 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJS wrote:
I recently bought a £100 used part for a vintage bike from Australia via EBay.
Ebay charged me VAT at the point of sale (for a used part that was originally manufactured in the UK in the 1920s FFS!) and then I had to pay another £19 To the Royal Mail in duty before they would deliver it to me.
Thieving barstewards all of them!

TBF You would have been hit by VAT & Duty when buying from Australia before Brexit too. These are all standard charges that have always applied to items purchased outside the EU. The only difference now, is they also apply to purchases from all our favourite EU countries too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:06 - 16 Apr 2021    Post subject: Re: Import duty post brexit. Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

The only difference is that under 135 the seller has to collect the import VAT on behalf of HMRC (so it's probably bundled in the price paid) and over 135 the seller can remove the VAT and it gets added at point of entry into the UK (but likely with an admin charge from courier).

At the end of the day it's just juggling the same tax we always had, but now HMRC are trying to offload the collection of the itsy bits to the EU sellers.

Yep.

I just checked with a US seller I know and he was being made to jump through enough hoops that he stopped exporting to the UK - fixed it now though, you can order through his website providing it comes to more than $200 (£135 = $186 just now) then he ships tax free and we cop for everything on arrival.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 4 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2