BCF: Bike Chat Forums

eBikes?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:15 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: eBikes? Reply with quote

Just to be clear - electrics aren't remotely my thing.
Outside of twisting 2 wires together or crimping a spade connector up i'm useless.

There's definitely no way i'm understanding the scale and differences on the outputs, wattages, voltages and how they all combine or not - i'm not an entire thicko but I have a numbers form of dyslexia, my brain just can't calculate arithmetic.

This aside I rely on eBikes for work, and a chat last week got me all confused; talking about range and recharge times.
My takeaway was that was we're mostly limited today on plug-in-the-wall charger capacity, something about 2aH? or 2 something anyways, which makes an 8aH battery pack take 4 hours to recharge.

I need a workshop explanation (or at least something more refined than a week long pointless google investigation) as to why we're limited to such a trickle charge situation when the whole world is having a dramatic shift in both energy supply and EV usage?

Comparative e.g?; my Samsung Galaxy phone can fast charge, but my bike battery can't?
...could someone dumb it down for me?.. Embarassed Laughing

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:10 - 13 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 4 hour recharge sounds ok and safe so why not buy a spare battery?

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:53 - 13 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Batteries are electrochemical devices; they operate on the principle that a chemical reaction between dissimilar elements in the battery causes a migration of electrons to one of the battery terminals (and a corresponding deficiency of electrons at the opposite terminal). With rechargable batteries, that process is reversible. Force electrons backwards through the battery (with a higher, "charging" voltage), and the chemical reaction reverses. The battery is fully charged when the dissimilar elements in the battery are fully transformed to their original state. The cycle of discharge and charge occurs many times over the life of the battery. Unfortunately, the chemical reaction releases heat. The manufacturer has determined that 2 Amp/Hours is the fastest charging rate that the battery can support. Charge the battery too fast, or discharge the battery too quickly, and it will overheat.

Many instances in the news in recent years of battery caused fires. Hoverboards and the Boeing 787 Dreamliner come immediately to mind.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:48 - 13 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Batteries charge and discharge at their best within a window of temperature. I’d they are too warm they can overheat at the extreme but even a mildly high temperature will mean inefficient charging and a reduction of long term battery life. To help with very fast charging future cars will have batteries with direct cooling circuits through them as well as cooled charging cables.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:48 - 13 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Limiting factors:

* Manufacturers specify a maximum charging current for their batteries.
* Low current "trickle chargers" are much cheaper than high current "smart chargers."
* Fast charging lithium ion batteries reduces their capacity over time, i.e. they wear out quicker.

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:11 - 13 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
A 4 hour recharge sounds ok and safe so why not buy a spare battery?
I have spares, they're £500 each and don't address the question.

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:15 - 13 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
Yep. Batteries charge and discharge at their best within a window of temperature. If they are too warm they can overheat at the extreme but even a mildly high temperature will mean inefficient charging and a reduction of long term battery life. To help with very fast charging future cars will have batteries with direct cooling circuits through them as well as cooled charging cables.
Thinking cooling circuits and cooling chargers ey?

Interesting.
So, rather than the 6 or whatever cells per section and 3 sections currently squeezed tight into a battery case they could have fractional spacing?

Surely the fast charging degrade issue has an effect over years not months?

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:18 - 14 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
To help with very fast charging future cars will have batteries with direct cooling circuits through them as well as cooled charging cables.

Refrigeration to cool battery packs in hybrid trucks and buses has been around since the early 2000's. I do not think so much to address overheating during charging, but discharging.

st3v3 wrote:
So, rather than the 6 or whatever cells per section and 3 sections currently squeezed tight into a battery case they could have fractional spacing?

A battery can be built to any voltage in multiples of the cell voltage. e.g. a lead-acid battery cell produces 2.2volts. Manufacturers connect six cells in series for a 12 V battery (13.2V). A lithium ion battery cell produces approximately 3.7 V. A battery could be constructed in any multiple of 3.7 V. Need 110 Volts DC for your motorcycle motor?, string 30 Li-ion cells in series. Use a transformer to supply the required DC voltage for charging.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 18:16 - 14 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The limitation is the bikes and their chargers. Likely because they are using cheap components.

If they were using expensive components, you could charge them up in under an hour. There's enough power available at the plug to charge an electric motorcycle with a much larger battery in 4 hours.

eBikes still seem to fall into the "shit and expensive" category.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:50 - 14 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

To give you an idea the typical 18650s I use in eBike batteries are rated at ~3Ah capacity per cell, trickle charge of 1.5A and fast charge of 4A. So that equates to (at best) 2 hours for a slow charge and 45 mins for a fast charge.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 11 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1