Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Purchasing a warranty on a used bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

barryd
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:55 - 14 Apr 2021    Post subject: Purchasing a warranty on a used bike Reply with quote

Just about to hopefully purchase a used maxi scooter. A couple of the dealers I am talking to offer the standard 30 days cover and one or two three months which are always return to base (not great if the bike wont go) but they dont sell the extended warranties.

Is it possible to purchase your own on a used bike and if so from where and for how much? Cant seem to find anything online or a recommendation.

Im not mechanically minded and Im partially disabled anyway so having good breakdown cover and hopefully some kind of six or twelve month warranty cover might be a good idea.

Any thoughts?

smokin joe
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:50 - 14 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've seen of them there are so many exclusions they are not worth it. If you trust the dealer you bought it from and you have it serviced regularly (Which will be a requirement of the warranty anyway) you'd be better off saving your money and going without.

Remember, these warranty companies make their profit by not paying out unless they absolutely have to, so the first thing they do in the event of a claim is to look for reasons to reject it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:21 - 14 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep from all I have seen, the purchasable warranties actually dont cover much and expect them to try and fight you the whole way on it if you do have to make a claim.

Have you considered looking at financing a new scooter? something with a good few years warranty included?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:05 - 14 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

They give you great cover for things that don't fail.

Things that regularly fail will be excluded.

Peace of mind until you need it and then it's no good.

It won't be cheap anyway.

I 'think' BMW offer extended warranty on their machinery for so many years, providing the beast is dealer serviced and recommended work paid for.
The extended warranty prolly costs £300+ per annum.

But that covers just about everything that could go wrong.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:46 - 14 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloke tried to get me selling these policies at my garage to customers. 'You'll make £££'. As has been stated there are so may exclusions that they will rarely pay out.
I wouldn't sell them - fundamentally because they are a rip off.
Salesman couldn't understand why I wouldn't go for it.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:15 - 14 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

97.3% of the time, extended warranties are just another way of parting a sucker from his money. You might win once in a while, but odds are strictly against you (which is why they're offered in the first place).

barryd
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:48 - 15 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I think thats that settled then. I dont think ill bother. What I might do though is revise my breakdown cover so I can have the bike taken to a mechanic of my choice should it break down. The bike I am looking at is a 2014 Piaggio BV350 with just 8000 miles on the clock and a service record from a reputable dealer so hopefully it should be ok although lets face it, its Italian. Laughing

I haven't ridden it yet but will be on Tuesday. I hope its ok as I have literally been looking for a suitable bike for summer fun for a year now. Im a bit limited in my choice because of my dodgy legs.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 15 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
The extended warranty prolly costs £300+ per annum.
But that covers just about everything that could go wrong.

You've clearly never run a BMW then! Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 10 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1