Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bridgestone Tyre Choices

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 09 Apr 2021    Post subject: Bridgestone Tyre Choices Reply with quote

Basically I've got four choices (cos it's Bridgestone or go home as far as I'm concerned - Japanese bike = Japanese tyre - makes sense to me, I just don't trust those Frogs or Eyeties when it comes to my rubber, yes I'm prejudice!). Would entertain the Krauts if necessary but probably more suited to a BMW or a KTM.

T
S
RS
R

What's your thoughts?

I've got RS11's on my FZ1 but looking to change to an MT-10 within the next couple of weeks and wondering whether to keep the S22 rubber it comes with or swap them out for RS11's... or maybe even T31's? Subject to advice received herein, obviously! Bearing in mind it's a brand new unregistered bike so the rubber coming off could be sold on eBay as (nearly) new tyres, thereby getting almost the full value of the tyre back so not actually costing that much in the grand scheme of things to swap out for different rubber.

Truth is I probably won't be doing any track days any time soon. I'm no longer commuting by bike like I was before so really these days I'm usually a fair-weather rider as there's no NECESSITY to ride any more, it's mostly for pleasure now.

So bearing in mind 60% to 90% of my riding will be on dry sunny days - best tyre for my usage?

I do like a sticky tyre but my only concern with the RS is that the backroads round my way (especially Yalding Hill) have high banks and the gravel can gather in the road after a heavy downfall from previous days, even if current climate is dry and sunny, for days even weeks after a heavy downfall there's hella gravel on the road! Would the T or S be better with surface gravel than the RS?

Also worth noting that I'm doing a 1.5hr Maidstone to Cambridge (and back in the same day) motorway run, on average about once a fortnight (more often during football season, less often outside football season), some of which will obviously be in the winter but there again I'm not going to be riding very sportily in the winter am I, so possibly losing performance in the wet from a more sporty tyre is going to be less relevant as I'm naturally going to be taking it more steady in poor conditions anyway. Plus the once or twice a year jaunt to south of France or Spain. Possibly leaning towards a more touring orientated tyre???

Thoughts welcome, input gratefully received!

Last edited by DUCAUDI on 01:29 - 11 Apr 2021; edited 1 time in total

Irezumi
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:22 - 10 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont have a great deal of experience on Bridgestone tyres having mostly stuck to Michelin Pilot Road's over the years.

I do however have T30 Evo's on currently (SV1000s) but have covered less than 1000 miles on them, being a fairly large mixture of riding though. I have never got anywhere near getting them to cause concern grip wise in any conditions. Including cold drizzly winter days, although I don't really do proper winter riding.

I cant see why for road riding you would need anything more than this level of tyre, I guess the T31 now.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 11 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My interpretation of the Bridgestone product lineup:

R = Race (I think aimed at track use only)

RS = Race Sport (I think aimed at nakeds/supersports/supermotos that get ridden on the road but also taken to the track many times a year)

S = Sport (I think the staple tyre for most nakeds/supersports/supermotos, can be good on the track but more compromises made towards real world conditions and getting higher mileage)

T = Touring (I think aimed at sports tourers and tourers, more focused on wet weather handling, softer ride and very high mileage)

Is that about right? Correct me if I'm wrong?

I don't think the R's are road legal, and even if they are I don't think they're recommended for road use. That's why I got RS's on my FZ1.

From what I can gather the raciest tyre that should be used on the road is the RS's. Reviews rave about them even for road use (not just track use) and go an about the superior dry grip, agility and confidence while cornering, high stability etc. I'm all for that. I do very little wet weather riding but I just wonder if a more touring orientated tyre like an S or a T would be better in the real world especially round here where there can sometimes be unexpected gravel in the road sometimes coming round bends. Would an S or a T be any better in these scenarios? Or do they not offer any better surface gravel grip they're just better in the wet and harder wearing? Not bothered about cost of the tyres or mileage because I'm not commuting, it's a toy to be enjoyed so don't feel the need to compromise on getting best value for money, just best possible performance for my use case.

For example, if the RS are just as good as tackling surface gravel as the S and T, but the emphasis on the S and T is better mileage. I'll stick with the RS. But if the S or the T actually offer better real world performance, I might consider changing.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:30 - 11 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're missing a trick then. I'll stick to the fat French Dude.

I used to be a die-hard Bridgestone fan too, I ran BT45 on my GPZ5s and 020s on the VFR for years. Then I PR4-ed and realised the error of my ways.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:42 - 11 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing yeah I know Michelin are generally considered the best in the industry, car or bike, just, dunno... Francophobe! I try to make everything I buy Jap or Kraut. Just the way I am :-/

We all have our idiosyncrasies!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:06 - 11 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuberculosis wrote:
Laughing yeah I know Michelin are generally considered the best in the industry, car or bike, just, dunno... Francophobe! I try to make everything I buy Jap or Kraut. Just the way I am :-/

We all have our idiosyncrasies!

In that case, add the Metzeler sportec to your list.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:07 - 11 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conti's German as well innit?

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:08 - 11 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just kinda think a Japanese bike deserves to be clad with Japanese rubber :-/

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:09 - 11 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is of couse the pissabolity I'm talking out of my arse Confused

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:15 - 11 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuberculosis wrote:
Conti's German as well innit?

Yes, but they're shit. I had a set of M7RR at one point and they were pretty good.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:17 - 11 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny thing about Metzeler I think in the non-biking community you see the name and assume it's like a naff budget brand because they're not as high profile as brands like Michelin, Dunlop, Pirelli, Bridgestone etc... Well I certainly did anyway before getting into biking. But it seems they're absolutely raved about among bikers.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:22 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be a brand fanboy. Run what works for the bike and your riding. I always ran Dunlop Roadsmart's on the VFR. Changed it up and the Maxxis are worlds better for a sports tourer and my riding style.

Also - This isn't in the Workshop...

Irezumi
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:34 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

I used to be a die-hard Bridgestone fan too, I ran BT45 on my GPZ5s and 020s on the VFR for years. Then I PR4-ed and realised the error of my ways.

I have gone from PR4's to the T30 Evo's, there is a bit of a difference in profile I think but hard to tell between old and new. In terms of outright grip they feel a bit sportier and with confidence in all weather conditions I really cant tell a difference.

Tuberculosis wrote:
I do very little wet weather riding but I just wonder if a more touring orientated tyre like an S or a T would be better in the real world especially round here where there can sometimes be unexpected gravel in the road sometimes coming round bends. Would an S or a T be any better in these scenarios? Or do they not offer any better surface gravel grip they're just better in the wet and harder wearing?

I think durability is the main advantage. A softer/grippier tyre will be better in the wet assuming its ability to clear water, as dictated by its tread pattern, is equal. For me cost and my ability also comes into it. I will get more mileage from a more sports touring tyre (+ they cost less) and the extra grip offered by a sports tyre will be wasted on me and my riding.

The T30/31 is a sports touring tyre. I have seen lots of reports saying the S20evo offered little advantage over the T30evo. With the RS likely being overkill though.

Good review here on the T30 evo's https://www.motorcycle.com/products/long-term-review-bridgestone-battlax-t30-evo

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:19 - 15 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that the "R" tyres come stickered up with a salient warning that they MUST be used with tyre warmers. That's how track orientated they are.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:22 - 15 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort of fuckwit assumes that the tyre manufacturer country of origin has to match the maunfacturer of the vehicle?

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 15 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me, clearly.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:50 - 15 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
What sort of fuckwit assumes that the tyre manufacturer country of origin has to match the maunfacturer of the vehicle?

The whole of Germany? If it it wasn't recommended fitment when the bike was new, it isn't allowed to be fitted without documentation and an inspection to show it is a TUV authorised modification. That's why German bikes have huge lists of recommended tyre fitments when you buy them.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 09:48 - 16 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

The whole of Germany? If it it wasn't recommended fitment when the bike was new, it isn't allowed to be fitted without documentation and an inspection to show it is a TUV authorised modification. That's why German bikes have huge lists of recommended tyre fitments when you buy them.

That's just mental, though.

What happens when someone makes a new model of tyre? They either pay for TUV approval or just accept people with older bikes just won't purchase it? It seems to apply to German tyres as well so it's not country specific.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:40 - 28 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
...something about trip-trapping over my bridge...

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:37 - 26 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Similar experience, left Bridgestone after the 021s replaced the 020s (which were excellent), and they were the scariest tyres I'd ever tried on a motorbike (still are). I could feel them giving way in the wet, front and back, even pootling. Back end would step out with no provocation in the dry. Genuinely terrifying. I've tried Pilot Roads and Angel STs, they've all done the job as far as I can push them (which isn't much).

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:59 - 06 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:
terrifying.

Only word needed to know the post is about BT021's Laughing

S22 are my current favourite. They don't inspire the ridiculous PR4 levels of confidence in the rain, but have been through a few hours of torrential rain / flooded roads while not going slowly.

Order of preference so far:
S22
S20
PR4
Roadtec 01
Roadsmart 3
PR3
Rosso Corsa 2
BT021
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 286 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1