Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

FZX 750 Assistance required

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

MuffinMan
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:48 - 15 Apr 2021    Post subject: FZX 750 Assistance required Reply with quote

Greetings Smile

Brand new to the forums and registered today in order to ask for help. I hope this is the right place.

My better half owns a FZX 750 circa 2001 which has been sitting in the garage for the last five years. I understand they are temperamental beasts (This is an import from the USA).

I would like to get the bike properly serviced and safe so she can ride again as an anniversary present in about six month's time.

I understand the bike was in working order when it got stored, so assumption is nothing seriously wrong apart from neglect. (Has been kept in a garage the whole time)

I am looking for someone who may be willing/able to guide me through servicing the bike to safe running condition. Due to the sad state of affairs this would have to be over Zoom or some such and happy to do an hour here and there whenever the calendar of the expert allows.

I would like to pay fairly for the time of any such expert in whatever method is best suited. Happy to discuss.

I have NO motorbike servicing experience. I have limited car servicing experience, extensive electrical and digital experience.

I hope this is the right place to ask if not please do tell me to go away and thanks in advance Smile

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:21 - 16 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which part of the world do you live in?

MuffinMan
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 07:16 - 16 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
Which part of the world do you live in?

Bristol. Also just over the m4 bridge into Wales.

Nutty
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 08:02 - 16 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the bike the FZX700 if imported from the USA , not a great deal of difference except the cc

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:27 - 16 Apr 2021    Post subject: T Reply with quote

No real experience of bike maintenance, so your honest which is a good start.

You have a good working area with good ventilation and light, an other good thing...

Get a manual and study the exploded views on CMSNL, print them off if you can...

If it was mine and just purchased for example
Knowing the bike has been in good storage for the last five years, I would start with a good dust off and let it see the light of day.

Tank, seat and battery off.

Any plastics off and out of the way.

Drain the oil and filter, remove the plugs and pour some redex down the plug holes...

The oil that drained out into a bowl would be examined for "glitter" and everything else...

Place a clean bowl and catch the redex that will eventually drain out.

Do Not attempt to turn the engine over at all at this stage, stage 1.

Stage 2. Remove necessary covers so engine can be turned over with plugs out, by HAND.

Yours has under bucket valve shims and looks like the engine can run with the cam cover off.

CHECK this is so...

Turn the engine over in the correct direction very slowly and watch the valves open and close.

5 years is plenty long enough for things to "stick" like clutches, brake pistons, engine pistons and VALVES.

Valves usually stick open, meaning they are reluctant to close, meaning a stuck open valve will tangle with a rising piston, bend, and may even break a valve guide, disaster.

You must turn engine over by hand and watch the valves, lubing as you go, watch them open and close with no hint of sticking.

The ones to watch initially will be the ones open when the engine last stopped.

Watch for increasing valve clearance between cam lobe and bucket, meaning that valve is stuck open.

If a valve is stuck open the rising piston will touch it, you will feel this...and with a bit of luck the valve will spring closed.

If the engine sticks, do not force.....investigate !

When happy valves are free, increase turning speed with a socket and rachet.

Happy ?

Stage 3

New engine oil and filter and hand crank until new oil appears at the head. No need for expensive oil at this stage, but get 2 oil filters...

Happier ?

New add battery( new one after 5 years ) and whizz engine over with plugs out and ignition killed.

Engine turns over freely and oil light goes out more or less instantaeniousely ? Yes, great.

Valve clearance check, any slack or tight ones ? No, good.

Compression check, all about 150 lbs per square inch ? Good...

Stage 4

Next is ign system check.
Be carefully as these systems do not like bad earth connections, especially HT ones.

All plugs produce a spark ? Yes, good.

Stage 5

Next is fuel.

Start at the Fuel filler cap and eventually end up at the Carbs, but first, arrive at this stage, then report back.

Time taken so far, say 5 hours over 5 days...rush the valve checking stage and potentially turn this prospect into a parts donor bike...just take your time, there is lots more to come...

ENJOY!

Last edited by bikenut on 09:02 - 16 Apr 2021; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:55 - 16 Apr 2021    Post subject: Re: FZX 750 Assistance required Reply with quote

MuffinMan wrote:

My better half owns a FZX 750 circa 2001 which has been sitting in the garage for the last five years. I understand they are temperamental beasts

Not sure where you get that idea from. They have 5 valves/cylinder which is somewhat unusual but apart from that they are much like any other water cooled 4 cylinder carb'd bike from the era. In fact the motor was used in a huge range of Yamahas over a 15+ year period and has a reputation for being 'solid'. Any bike mechanic worth their salt should be able to get it running well.

Your most likely first issue will be clogged carburettors.
If you have a meticulous nature you should be able to getthses off easily enough and clean them (YouTube guides abound) After that try a set of new plugs (a squirt of oil down each hole) a battery and give it a whirl. 5 years isn't so long..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 09:50 - 16 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the 750 5 valvers are reasonably reliable.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:50 - 16 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd change the petrol & oil, remove mice from airbox and just try to start it. See what happens and plan from there.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:25 - 16 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike nuts advice is good, but I wouldn't be that cautious about the valve train on a motors that 'only' been standing 5 years. i don't think sticking valves are that common. Fair enough if you have time.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

MuffinMan
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:42 - 16 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.

Having read through your advice and taking into account my inexperience I think I'll start via the path of least resistance and work my way up from there.

So as per @wr6133 advice I will change the petrol and oil, charge the battery and see what happens. (Jokes aside there probably are mice in there, even had them infest my car speakers)

That failing - onto @A100man advice to clean carburettors and replace spark plugs and see if does anything.

That failing I will move onto the detailed regimen provided by @bikenut. Hopefully the previous work will give me the confidence to tackle everything mentioned, even though I'd have to figure out what equipment I'd need to buy to do it all properly.

Thanks again for the advice and any further guidance and advice is certainly most welcome.

Cheers

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:55 - 16 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuffinMan wrote:
So as per @wr6133 advice I will change the petrol and oil, charge the battery and see what happens. (Jokes aside there probably are mice in there, even had them infest my car speakers)

Certainly would not hurt to remove the plugs and turn the engine over by hand. Turn at least 2 revolutions. Any interference issues will be apparent. Pump a couple squirts engine oil into the spark plug holes to show the pistons, rings, and cylinder walls some love after 5 years without lubricaiton.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:45 - 16 Apr 2021    Post subject: T Reply with quote

Valves can and do stick, open usually...

Just whack a battery on it and whizz it over, if no valves are stuck, there you go, BUT if one of the many in the engine is reluctant to close...massive damage, you just ruined a potential good bike !

Your bike, your damage, your problem.....

Slow down a bit, spend the 5 hours or so, and be sure !

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:59 - 16 Apr 2021    Post subject: Re: T Reply with quote

bikenut wrote:

Just whack a battery on it and whizz it over, if no valves are stuck, there you go, BUT if one of the many in the engine is reluctant to close...massive damage, you just ruined a potential good bike !

unlikely.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:19 - 16 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuffinMan wrote:

So as per @wr6133 advice I will change the petrol and oil, charge the battery and see what happens

That failing - onto @A100man advice to clean carburettors and replace spark plugs and see if does anything.

That failing I will move onto the detailed regimen provided by @bikenut.

Just bear in mind that if anything is stuck when you fire it up (unlikely, but worse case scenario) it'll probably be too late to follow bikenut's advice. Very Happy

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:16 - 16 Apr 2021    Post subject: Re: T Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
bikenut wrote:

unlikely.

Very unlikely. At starter motor speed they'll just be pushed back anyway.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:26 - 16 Apr 2021    Post subject: T Reply with quote

Valves inclined ? That is "not in line with the piston" ala transit diesel banana engine etc.....etc.....etc..

Valves can even tangle with each other, a stuck open exhaust clashing with an opening inlet....

Is it worth the risk, or do you check....

If it was mine, I would make absolutely sure the valves open and close with no hint of sticking before fitting a battery in spinning the engine over at above average cranking speeds...plugs out, ign killed.

But that's me, you will be different......

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:04 - 16 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a 5 valves the valves are virtually straight.if it's that stuck you'd be looking at a new valve and at 50 quid plus vat you better hope that you only have one stuck.

Tbh it's better to trash the engine and buy a second hand one than rebuild the valve gear with new kit.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 347 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1