BCF: Bike Chat Forums

U Turns

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 19:56 - 07 Nov 2002    Post subject: U Turns Reply with quote

Well I have my DAS test tommorow and basically this is my week point!

Everything else, no problems, but I'm strugalin bad with these Crying or Very sad

So what are your hints and tips that I can take with me tomorrow to try and get me round no problems when it comes to my test tommorow?!

and everyone whos religious, say a little pray for me (I'm gona need it on these U turns)

Cheers

Hex
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 20:02 - 07 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the problem you're having? Not getting round enough before the kerb or general wobbliness?

Cos if it's not getting round, you need to look at the point in the middle of the road that your essentially rotating around, and magically you'll turn tighter.

GOOD LUCK!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:06 - 07 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

The major thing is on power on if it starts to go over.... it's counter-intuitve but you can do a U turn on full lock by just pulling the power on as it starts to fall.
Obviusly be smooth, and dunt just crack the throttle open Smile

Best thing is to go out *now* and tommorow morning if you can and practice. Preferably on a road narrower than the one you'll be doing them on in the test.
On my tests I had a road 50% wider than the ones I'd been practicing on, so it wasn't much hassle.

Good luck

zaknafien

PostPosted: 20:10 - 07 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

does it matter if you do it fast or not? i can do a U turn on my NSR but only if i do it pretty quickly ya see.

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 20:31 - 07 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

my problem, hmmm well its sort of as I come to the end of the turn.

I can turn it round (however I'll try the looking in the middle of the road thing - ta EB) just as I come to straighten up I go all wobbaly and either head towards the kirb or end up putting my right foot down Confused

think the heading towards the kerb is cos I look at it? but i aint sure!

I'll be well upset if I fail because of this fecking manouver
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

tanner18
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:31 - 07 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

the road i did my u-turn on was only just big enough for my bike when i had to push it round. all i can say is get your arse out practicing thats the only waymake your mistakes now

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 20:45 - 07 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hex wrote:

think the heading towards the kerb is cos I look at it? but i aint sure!

You always go where you look... when you straighten up, look up and ahead rather than staring at the kerb.

On your test, make sure you look at the camber of the road (you get time to do this cos the examiner makes you pull over, parks behind and walks up to you) spend that minute or so composing yourself and looking at the road, which way it slopes, drains, gutters and stuff so there are no nasty surprises.

Like the guys say - just get out and practise it as much as you can before your test. And don't worry *too* much - on my DAS I think I got the hang of a U-turn properly on the morning of my test!

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 21:09 - 07 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practice loads in a carpark, aiming to do it in 2 car parking spaces. You'll get better and better. I could get teh NSR and CG round on full lock after a while. I also managed to get the CG round in 1 space by standing on the pegs and almost dragging the bike on the floor, but that was just loads of practice. It's a little harder on bigger bikes. Just keep the throttle constantly high and go round on the clutch.

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 21:13 - 07 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually found it easier on the bigger bike - doing it on the SR on my cbt was a wobbly mess, while the ER5 on the das felt much more stable, nice low centre of gravity or something like that.

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 21:16 - 07 Nov 2002    Post subject: .... Reply with quote

hex what bike you doing um on???

took some practice but i can now do a U turn on my nsr...just by getting to know how much power to give/ how much to lean etc.

bassically mate.....go out and practice.

and

GOOD LUCK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

moonym20
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 23:11 - 07 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

practice is the answer m8 you can do it, its all mental is what my instructor said as soon as you think you are loosing it your instant reaction is to try and prevent it, at which point you panic and lose ballance or put a foot down, try and be confident U turns were my weak point as well and out of about twenty that i did prior to the test only five were actually spot on. some how when i did my test i did it straight away with no prob's........ just relax n u can do it
a little tip though don't blip the throttle and then do the U-turn with ur clutch in or else ur examiner will just ask you to do it again Sad
the same thing happens with emergency stops if he see's ur fingures hovering over the brake he will make you go around again
hope it helps
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

evilbob

PostPosted: 01:28 - 08 Nov 2002    Post subject: u turns Reply with quote

piss easy m8 (mayby its just cos i got crap directional skill and have to do em alot). I was told my my insturctor dude to look where u want to go. Keep the bike sorta on the clutch and use the rear brake to vary speed.

Smile and practice a bit.

laters and good luck
You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:38 - 08 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I was told when doing my CBT.
That's how I practiced doing it before my lessons/test.

My DAS instructer told me to just use the throttle and clutch not touch the rear brake... which confused me as I'd spent a while perfecting it with the rear brake Evil or Very Mad

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 13:08 - 08 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Gav

Just remember to keep looking where you're going.
Next step.... spelling! Oh dear oh dear, nerves MUST have gotten the better of you! Laughing

tanner18
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:34 - 08 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

hope you pass mate.

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 15:25 - 08 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

best of luck mate
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

eon_tal
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:11 - 08 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

guud lock m8! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 176 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1