BCF: Bike Chat Forums

iridium plugs

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:52 - 16 Apr 2021    Post subject: iridium plugs Reply with quote

has anyone used them? are they worth the extra cost over standard plugs? (thunderace).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:01 - 16 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally last longer. Some bikes do not like them, for some reason. I've not heard any gains apart from longevity being anything other than a placebo effect, but my circle of bike minded friends tend to run OEM or bikes where performance isn't the priority. I scored a good deal on some so I'll be trying them in the Viffer, but I wouldn't be paying a premium for them unless you have forums/owners clubs full of people raving about them.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:23 - 16 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were a big thing back in the day where every other power ranger on a 400 or 600 was fitting them to try to get performance improvement. I never saw such a thing. We also found that some bikes didn't get on with them.

To be honest, spark plugs are so cheap that I'd not bother with the iridium ones. They might last a touch longer, but I don't think they last long enough to make them good value, if you take my meaning.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:38 - 16 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the input fellas Thumbs Up

SW Motech Shop UK
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:26 - 18 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good but dont put them in a bike that already has running problems. They dont like working again if you foul them.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:26 - 18 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

NGK Iridium in all my bikes from Factory.

I had two old BSA 250 singles with Kickstarts.

Bastirts to start with the plugs that were fitted.
I managed to find NGK Iridium to suit both.
The difference in starting was amazing.
The bikes were not road ready when I got them so I never noticed any benefits in running performance.

I fitted Iridium to a Honda 125 I 'felt' that it was slightly better in performance though 125 performance improvements are not fantastic.
Possibly the fact a new plug was fitted may have been the improvement I noticed.

Project Farm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcVF3xL_fzk

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:21 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have heard a lot about how iridium makes starting procedure easier. Especially on 6V systems, contact points ignitions and dynamos. All those systems, where you need a good clean spark under limited power to get things going.

On modern 12V digital ignition systems with alternators these benefits are just not there. Maybe at very high RPM iridium plugs work better than standared ones, but that's pub/dyno talk.

I got NGK iridium plug for my XBR (12V alternator, digital ignition system) and I'm yet to see any benefits. Perhaps it's going to be the longevity and durability of such spark plug.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:27 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that iridium plugs lasted longer but made a weaker spark.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:40 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the NGK motorbike catalogue there are three options for the YZF1000R T/Ace...the OEM DR8EA,the gold palladium middle option the DR8EVX and the Iridium option,the DR8EIX.On some Yamahas there is only the Iridium option,namely the 2002-2003 YZF-R1.Not sure why as the engines in the 5PW are to all intents and purposes the same as in the 5JJ-R1,except for fuel injection.

I do use the CR9EIX Iridium option on my R1 as I felt the throttle response far bettered the standard CR9E,there not being a middle option for the early R1s.

I also use the Iridium option on my dirt bike,where throttle response is of a large benefit,especially in the fast sections of an enduro course.

As for my FZR-R I bought the middle option as I had experienced these before on previous bikes and I feel that it gives the benefits of a more expensive plug without the expense.As I also have Dyna coils fitted to this bike the fuel consumption and power is sufficient for what I use this bike for,ie. a runaround/general purpose bike.

Always have a 'Plan B'

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:18 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're in my project bike, thanks to a previous owner. It has a hard starting problem which I'm trying to chase down, so they're not a panacea. In principle, I can't see how they might result in better running. Electrical arcing is electrical arcing.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:25 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
They're in my project bike, thanks to a previous owner. It has a hard starting problem which I'm trying to chase down, so they're not a panacea. In principle, I can't see how they might result in better running. Electrical arcing is electrical arcing.

Iridium plugs have a better self cleaning function.
'Conventional' plugs self clean through high temperatures.
High temp can increase risk of pre-ignition (pinking) which reduces power.

For poor starting, fuel and air should be considered too.

An airleak after the throttle body/s will 'dilute' the air-fuel ratio. It needs enrichment for the start.

I use this outfit for plugs.

Plugs plus all the spec and some tech.

https://www.gsparkplug.com/shop/about

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:16 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Absolutely right. On this project though, the very low compression on one cylinder could be a candidate for the hard starting issue, and I haven't yet had time to set the dwell gap and static ignition timing on the points. I'm not doing anything yet until my new coil arrives.

From what you're saying about self-cleaning properties, that could be a big clue in itself as to why they were fitted in the first place, as the plugs are absolutely foul (rich) all the time. If they were normal plugs perhaps they'd be solid with carbon deposits. The carbs look awful, and for some unfathomable reason someone has dumped metal epoxy right over the mixture screws... I got a spare set of brand new (!) carbs with the bike, so I don't have to worry about it though. All problems will be ironed out when I get around to them.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:32 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
MCN wrote:

Absolutely right. On this project though, the very low compression on one cylinder could be a candidate for the hard starting issue, and I haven't yet had time to set the dwell gap and static ignition timing on the points. I'm not doing anything yet until my new coil arrives.

From what you're saying about self-cleaning properties, that could be a big clue in itself as to why they were fitted in the first place, as the plugs are absolutely foul (rich) all the time. If they were normal plugs perhaps they'd be solid with carbon deposits. The carbs look awful, and for some unfathomable reason someone has dumped metal epoxy right over the mixture screws... I got a spare set of brand new (!) carbs with the bike, so I don't have to worry about it though. All problems will be ironed out when I get around to them.

Mixture screws have probably been 'fixed' as the previous keeper was aye tamperfering with them and wore out the thread. Air leaking in through the thread would cause rough idle.
And if threads are worn then odds are the carb if FUBAR.

New coil, new plugs, new leads and sort out the low compression ( Shocked ) and it will be like a new pony. Very Happy

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:58 - 20 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

picked up some standard plugs for about a quarter of the price of the iridium ones. i have a feeling that installing them is going to be a pain though Neutral

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:50 - 23 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they're available then I use them. Longer service life, so less taking the tank and airbox off. Less chance of cross threading a plug thread, or crap falling in the cylinder.

More chance of corroding in place though, due to being in for years.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:19 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
picked up some standard plugs for about a quarter of the price of the iridium ones. i have a feeling that installing them is going to be a pain though Neutral

Yes it will be. And once you find a plug spanner that will fit the tight hole/ awkward access you'll be panicking how much gritty sh!t dropped into the hole during the change. Wink

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 25 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

Yes it will be. And once you find a plug spanner that will fit the tight hole/ awkward access you'll be panicking how much gritty sh!t dropped into the hole during the change. Wink

fortunately Yamaha supplied a plug spanner in the under seat tool kit Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 356 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1