Yamaha Fazer

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

AL-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:51 - 08 Apr 2021    Post subject: Yamaha Fazer Reply with quote

Hi all

Had a break from biking but looking to get back into it. Brief history had a FZS600 for 7 years, brought the Yamaha Tracer 900 brand new in 2015 which got stolen, replaced it with the Yamaha Tracer 900 GT which again was stolen!

Thinking about going back to the basics. My wife says we had the most fun on the FZS600 compared to the others

I don't want to go back to the 600 so I am tempted to go for the thou.

I believe the Gen 1 is considered to be better than the Gen 2?

I need comfort, good MPG but plenty of power for 2 up touring or solo weekend blasts to keep the fun aspect

I only want one bikes so it has to do it all

Anything to look out for?

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:35 - 08 Apr 2021    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Fazer Reply with quote

AL- wrote:
Hi all

Had a break from biking but looking to get back into it. Brief history had a FZS600 for 7 years, brought the Yamaha Tracer 900 brand new in 2015 which got stolen, replaced it with the Yamaha Tracer 900 GT which again was stolen!

Thinking about going back to the basics. My wife says we had the most fun on the FZS600 compared to the others

I don't want to go back to the 600 so I am tempted to go for the thou.

I believe the Gen 1 is considered to be better than the Gen 2?

I need comfort, good MPG but plenty of power for 2 up touring or solo weekend blasts to keep the fun aspect

I only want one bikes so it has to do it all

Are you looking for a new bike or something a bit older? The 1st generation (2000-2005) FZS 1000 is a great bike but there are others you could consider. The Bandit 1200/1250 is an excellent all-rounder, good fun to ride solo but also good comfort for touring with a pillion. The VFR is worth a look too, the 800 is a superb sport tourer and the 1200 is excellent too although the looks are very Marmite.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:42 - 08 Apr 2021    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Fazer Reply with quote

AL- wrote:
Hi all

Yeh! Buy bigger chains, and disc-locks, and a big angry dog, and a gun, and a lockable shed, and a ground anchor! Shocked Thumbs Up

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:02 - 08 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on my 5th consecutive FZS1000 (gen 1).
I think they make a better all-rounder than the gen 2, which is a bit more sports focussed, though still a very good bike.

On the gen 1, most common problem is seized EXUP valve. This can be avoided with at least annual servicing. When you switch on the ignition, you should hear it cycle. If there is a problem, you should get a repeated 7k rpm reading on the rev counter, the EXUP fault code. If you do need to service a neglected example, chances are the cover bolts will be seized, which can be a pain to deal with.

The original rear shock was only good for about 15k miles, shouldn't be too many around still on that.

Occasionally, there can be a problem with front fork damper rods, causing a fork seal leak, but it is very rare. So if you go to check out one with an eye to buying and it has a leaky fork seal, just bear in mind it could be more than just the seal that needs replacing. As said, very rare though, I've heard of only about two cases in all my years riding these bikes, and one of those I spotted at a dealership where I was buying the bike - they replaced the fork with one nicked from another example they had in their showroom, and I had no further problems.

They are capable of getting 200 miles, maybe even a little more from a tankful. I wouldn't expect that for regular use though - depends on where you are on the hooligan scale!

I find them very comfortable, although some complain about the standard seat. I've done two trips of nearly 1000 miles in one hit, and obviously that leaves you squirming a bit but generally speaking I haven't seen what the fuss was about from those mentioning it. No worse than anything else I've owned, for sure.

There are some great well-tried and tested mods you can do to make them even better, as I have, but they're an excellent bike as standard, assuming no faults. Many who are wooed away by something newer come back to them eventually.

Well served by a good owner's forum where much helpful knowledge is available:

https://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?action=forum
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AL-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:04 - 08 Apr 2021    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Fazer Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
AL- wrote:
Hi all

Yeh! Buy bigger chains, and disc-locks, and a big angry dog, and a gun, and a lockable shed, and a ground anchor! Shocked Thumbs Up

The dog slept the whole time. Only person to wake up was the person living opposite who heard them grinding the chain locks off and disc locks off the bike. By the time he got downstairs they already had it in the van and were driving down the road

AL-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:23 - 08 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Thank you for such an informative response. Exactly what I was after. I think Gen 1 will suit my needs more. But I will ask on the FOC website as well

I did remember your fazer trips a few years back and enjoyed reading the reports and the photos. Clearly the fazer still has plenty to give. I did consider the FJR but I don't think that will be suitable or as fun in the turns

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 01:57 - 09 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Fsz1000 a year or two, a lot to do with reading chickenstrip's trips and trying a bunch of the current sports tourers after doing a few euro trips on smaller bikes and wanting something bigger.

Mine with touring setup https://puu.sh/Gr0Xs.jpg

Ive ridden the Mt09 tracer too as I considered buying one, the mt09 engine is a bit more mental off the batt, but the R1 motor in the fazer will pull harder once you hit 7-10k. Fazer is a lot more 'analogue' for sure, its fueling will feel a lot smoother than the tracers!

My biggest problem with the tracer was the suspension for the price, my biggest problem with the fazer was the suspension also Laughing

Put a R6 or S1000rr shock in the rear, maybe springs in the front and its sorted though, though set up for a harder ride. Worth taking your machine by K-tech or similar to tell you what settings you really should be using.

I am still runing it stock carbs with a slip on, and I can get 200 miles from a tank (fully drained) with a mix of motorway and A roads. Ive got 50 mpg on my fuelly account, from doing a 400 mile trip of wales, mix of 70mph motorway and going harder in the A roads.

Ivans carb mod is the route if want performance, though it will lower your MPG.

I would go for a bike with black engine paint (later years) The silver seems to flake more.

Expect to pay 2-2.5k for a good example, I would not buy a shitter, they have quite a few systems on them, carbs, igniter box, AIS, Exup. Its more things to go wrong on a bike thats just been abused through its life.

I am very happy with mine, it took a bit of sorting, but it suits me perfect for being about to knock out massive touring, weekend scratching, good amount of parts available, still cheap etc.

The catch is, they are all 16+ years old at this point, expect to possibility do some spannering at some point.

AL-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:52 - 09 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tdibs wrote:

Again thank for you such an informative response. Very helpful Thumbs Up

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:38 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first gen FZS1000 is definitely more comfortable than the second gen FZ1 but the first gen is carb fuelled. Personally I'd plump for the better reliability of EFI on the second gen. You can always get a custom comfort seat made by Top Sellerie in France which is what I always planned to get for my FZ1 but changing to an MT-10 soon so won't bother now. Don't get me wrong there's nothing wrong with the comfort of the two-piece seat on the second gen, it's just the one-piece seat on the first gen was definitely more cushy and plush.

While the Bandit 1200 and 1250 are good bikes the FZS1000 and FZ1 knock spots off them both, respectively, in terms of performance. I think the VFR offers slightly more sporty aggressive riding ergonomics so kinda depends on your preferred ergos.

I think the first gen FZS1000 knocks spots off the first gen Bandit 1200, and the second gen FZ1 knocks spots off the second gen Bandit 1250... But with the reliability that comes with EFI in mind, and if outright BHP isn't that important to you... maybe a second gen Bandit 1250 would be a better bet than a first gen FZS1000?

Snorty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:52 - 18 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got an '07 FZ1. It's alright.

Bit of a slouch off the line though have to feather loads of clutch. My K4 and ZX9 had much better low rev response.

Past: CB125TDC | TZR125 | GPZ500 | CBR600F3 | ZX9-R | GSXR1000 K4
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:07 - 18 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the carbs on the gen 1 have really been a source of unreliability. Standard bikes can be a bit fluffy at low revs sometimes, but the bike as a whole is very reliable assuming you look after them.
The Ivans carb and air box mods get rid of the fluffiness, and add more power throughout the rev range. An occasional carb balance is likely the most you'll ever need to do, standard or modded, again assuming no neglect.

For me the key with the gen 1 is its potential. Do the right mods and you'll have a bike that will challenge even some much more recent models in almost any respect, and it won't cost that much to do them compared to the cost of a late model bike. Without any mods (you really do need to make sure you have a good rear shock though), it's still a very good and reliable bike.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:30 - 18 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazers are shit bikes. Razz

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:59 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Now, now. Tut Tut

Everyone knows that all sorts of good things can grow in shit... Laughing

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:03 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

What's the best bike then JK?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:10 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuberculosis wrote:
MCN wrote:

What's the best bike then JK?

Careful now, or someone's gonna catch a fish! Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:16 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2000 Fazer 600 hack. It was an insurance write off that I bought for about £170 and made into wifies track bike. When she gave up track days I put it back on the road. It's been totally reliable with the minimum of maintenance and is as boring as fuck. Laughing

I would expect the 1000 to be less boring!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:25 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I borrowed the Fazer 600 (box eye) courtesy bike from a dealer I worked at for a couple of weeks while my own 1000 was waiting for repairs. I thought it was pretty good....now wait a minute, this needs context!

For a couple of weeks before that I'd been using their GS500 - couldn't wait to get shot of that thing Laughing

S'all relative, ya know!

AL-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:27 - 02 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to update this thread but I did indeed purchase a 2004 FSZ1000 with less than 12k on the clocks

Came with goodies as well:

Full ivans kit and foam air filter, renthal bars, pazzo levers, R&G bar ends, GPR titanium end can, heated grips, nitron rear shock with remote preload, Fork Serviced 9.5nm K Tech springs and Ohlins fork oil. Full service history and exup valve serviced last year

Mr. Green

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:21 - 02 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

AL- wrote:
I forgot to update this thread but I did indeed purchase a 2004 FSZ1000 with less than 12k on the clocks

Came with goodies as well:

Full ivans kit and foam air filter, renthal bars, pazzo levers, R&G bar ends, GPR titanium end can, heated grips, nitron rear shock with remote preload, Fork Serviced 9.5nm K Tech springs and Ohlins fork oil. Full service history and exup valve serviced last year

Mr. Green

A very nicely spec'd bike. Pics please! Very Happy

AL-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:56 - 02 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics. its a grey import colour scheme that wasn't available in the UK

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:25 - 02 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

US model? We seem to get a few of those over here. Not much difference to UK ones. If it has "FZ1" decals, that's usually a giveaway, reflectors on the forks is another, paint job different.

I think I like that can better than the Scorpion on mine.

AL-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:52 - 03 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes mine has the extra reflectors and the FZ1 writing

I will take some better pics at the weekend

I really like the exhaust. It fits nicely with the bike

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:01 - 03 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks awesome, congrats!

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:48 - 03 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bike. Good choice. Should serve you well.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:29 - 04 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

great mods - someone's blown their beer tokens on that mutha

giz a full review

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 298 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2