Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

26" MTB - overhaul or replace?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: 26" MTB - overhaul or replace? Reply with quote

So I'll start off by saying I don't do much MTB'ing these days. I do enjoy it when I do and it's all cross-country type stuff, so rocky bridleways, trails etc..

My MTB was bought new in 2009; a Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc (and it was considered a good bike when new). It's got a 27 speed triple, hydraulic 160mm disc brakes and 26" wheels. I never had an issue with it's capability (I was the limiting factor). The thing is now is the thing needs some TLC;

- Brake fluid change and full clean-up
- New chain and probably new sprockets/rings
- Fork wasn't the smoothest last time it went out - no idea what's needed there
- New tyres probably as although they look OK, they're the age of the bike (I got several pairs for different riding conditions when new and as a result they've lasted)

I suspect it's mostly/all just "servicing" and a day of me and spanners and £100 of bits will sort it.

The bike's not done mega miles, probably only a few thousand (albeit all off-road miles on rough ground). It's never been crashed and has been garaged it's entire life.

So the question is; do I do it up knowing that it's been fine before and I'll doubtless continue to enjoy it, or do I move into what I understand to be a totally different modern world of single chainrings, 12 speed cassettes, 29" wheels etc.. and enjoy the "modern" experience? Is it worth the spend?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:54 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having recently been through broadly the same quandary, I'd say fix it up as it is on a budget and don't chuck too much at it.

If you want more modern equipment then buy a second hand newer model on eBay as the cost of throwing bits at your current bike gets you damn near some very decent machinery. I spotted a decent Marin hardtail the other week for ~£400 and thought by the time I'd bought the pedals and the grips the bike had I'd be ~£120 out of pocket to modify my own, and the tyres were like new and ~£40 an end, too. That's half the cost of the bike just in those alone.

My bike is similar spec to yours BTW, being a 2008 GT Avalanche 1.0 and I'm currently doing 40k runs off road on it no bother. If I were doing less XC and more TR I'd definitely buy something else, mind.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:28 - 13 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, cheers. Ordered a few bits to overhaul it and will see how it goes. Thumbs Up

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:56 - 13 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s pretty much ‘retro’ now, but there’s a thing for them - I’d do as you are, give it some love, remember how much fun it can be then, if you’re wanting more get another bike. By another, I mean as well as this one! And second hand is a great option - I have 6 bikes and they were all bought second hand.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:51 - 13 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it bizarre that something I bought comparatively recently is now considered retro. Laughing

Irezumi
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:01 - 13 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will cost a lot less to refurb. Guy a new bottom bracket, maybe get a ned headset put in and good to go. Forks can be sent off to be refurbed but lots of how to guides on youtube, can also send off to many places/give to LBS to fix. Or buy some fancy new ones.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:10 - 13 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would buy a new set of forks and fix the other bits.
The Rockhopper is a decent frame and was let down a bit by those Suntour forks.

Spoil it with some Marzocchi forks, you can buy a pair of Bombers for under £100 on ebay these days and you'd be super unlucky if they needed any work doing to them and if they did it's not a big cost to refurb them. Then you'd get years of ace performance from them.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 20 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little update; all was going well until this evening - progress to date;

- Headset dismantled, cleaned and regreased
- Rear hub cleaned out and rebuilt with new bearings and grease
- Fork oil changed
- Drivetrain stripped and cleaned
- Front brake fluid changed and bled

All went to pot when I attempted to sort out the rear brakes; the pistons are knackered. One piston is totally seized to the point of not even emerging, the other side refuses to retract (Avid Juicy 3 SL) and I actuated the brake lever a bit to get the piston to come out a bit so I can see what state it was in and it virtually popped out (went a bit wonky so clearly not seated properly anymore). A bit of googling suggests these brakes, while considered good when new, rapidly earned a reputation for being horrendous to keep working. Long discontinued so spare parts are hard to get hold of and/or expensive.

I now need to decide do I get all the replacement seals, pistons etc. (probably £40 worth) and attempt to overhaul the caliper myself (never done this but I gather if methodical it's not too difficult) or do I get a new rear brake. SRAM Level can be had for £50-odd quid; it's nothing special but will probably be functional. It'll also be compatible with my "Avid Pro Bleeding Kit" (soon to be renamed the "Bleedin' Avid Pro Kit"). I don't know if brake calipers can just be thrown on a bike though; not sure on the compatibility of such things.

Frustrating to fall at the last hurdle. I had even optimistically got the new chain out ready.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:15 - 20 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just go with a new brake, fiddly working on something so scaled-down.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:42 - 21 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Managed to get a SRAM brake (lever, line and caliper) for £50. It's the rear brake anyway so it doesn't do a great deal. Laughing

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:54 - 21 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
It's the rear brake anyway so it doesn't do a great deal. Laughing

Doesn't do a great deal?! That's the lever that when you pull it and lean over the front of the bike and leave long snaky black lines behind you, all the girls' knickers fall off Wub
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:57 - 21 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
ThunderGuts wrote:
It's the rear brake anyway so it doesn't do a great deal. Laughing

Doesn't do a great deal?! That's the lever that when you pull it and lean over the front of the bike and leave long snaky black lines behind you, all the girls' knickers fall off Wub

So that's where I've been going wrong all these years, never knew skids were such a turn-on

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:06 - 21 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pah! Might have worked 30 years ago but today you must remove the front brake entirely and wheelie everyway to stand any chance of catching a girl's attention Smile

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:06 - 27 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike all fixed up now. Forks still aren't perfect despite fresh fluid; just feel a bit hesitant / not smooth. Keeping half an eye out for something used, e.g. Bombers or DJ3 (recommended by a mate) but seems to be slim pickings so far.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 326 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1