Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Getting a bike before passing test, insurance

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:52 - 20 Apr 2021    Post subject: Getting a bike before passing test, insurance Reply with quote

Im looking at getting my first 'big bike' and ive found what im looking for, I have just spoken to my insurance company (Bennetts) who I have a policy with for my 125 that I ride between lessons/tests, and they wont insure the new bike even though it will be garaged etc and I cant ride it, if I dont have the licence to go along with it

Has anyone ever insured a bike before, for just fire and theft, before they have passed, and could recommend any companies who will cover that

Ideally, I didnt want to lose the 6 months or so NCB ive currently built up by cancelling my 125 policy, I wanted to change it to the new bike on a fire and theft basis as I cant ride it yet, then ring them up once ive passed and change the policy to fully comp

At the minute im not sure how long the dealer would hold the bike for me, my mod1 is booked and mod2 shouldnt be far away as long as the mod1 goes ok

spongefinger
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:08 - 20 Apr 2021    Post subject: Bikesure ? Reply with quote

Looks like bikesure do a Laid Up bike policy that may suit your needs https://www.bikesure.co.uk/laid-up-insurance/[/list]

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:15 - 20 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bike is it and what security have you got?

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:39 - 20 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
What bike is it and what security have you got?

Triumph Bonneville T120

it would be behind a very large car you couldnt get the bike past during the evenings, behind padlocked gates, inside a concrete garage which is locked, 2 large chains, ground anchor, and alarmed disc lock

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:00 - 21 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did similar, garage, car on drive, two chains and I also removed the battery and kept it on a tender inside the house.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:24 - 21 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if the broker you are communicating with is concerned so much with security.
There's more 3rd party liability risk when the vehicle is being used.
Whether you have it locked in the basement and the key under your grannies mattress may be of little consequence as far as their underwriting policy states.
Insurers can be funny.

I've never been in that situation so cannot advise.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:12 - 21 Apr 2021    Post subject: Re: Getting a bike before passing test, insurance Reply with quote

BRUN wrote:

Ideally, I didnt want to lose the 6 months or so NCB ive currently built up by cancelling my 125 policy, I wanted to change it to the new bike on a fire and theft basis as I cant ride it yet, then ring them up once ive passed and change the policy to fully comp

Yeah, you're unlikely to win on that one I'm afraid. Best course of action would be get the bike back, secured and SORN'd, and take the financial punt yourself on self-insuring. Sounds like security isn't an issue so you'd be bloody unlucky.

As for the 125 policy - are you selling the 125 to fund the big bike? If so, you might want to write to the insurers and inform them of cancellation...... forgetting maybe the stamp, or the letter.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:25 - 21 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like i will have to give that bikesure a ring to see if they will cover it

not keen on using them as they seem to be a division of Adrian Flux, who I had a big problem with about 10 years ago which took months to sort out

would their be any issue with me leaving the 125 policy running if i no longer own it, the cost isnt an issue as it was pretty cheap and is already paid for in full

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:35 - 21 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRUN wrote:
looks like i will have to give that bikesure a ring to see if they will cover it

not keen on using them as they seem to be a division of Adrian Flux, who I had a big problem with about 10 years ago which took months to sort out

would their be any issue with me leaving the 125 policy running if i no longer own it, the cost isnt an issue as it was pretty cheap and is already paid for in full

Bikesure are Flux.

If you leave the 125 policy running then that's very, very naughty but I'd do it anyway and like I say, pretend you've written to them to cancel it (empty envelope in post with proof of postage and theoretically leaves your insurer as the MID insurer and, therefore, potentially, you're on for any third party liability claim.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:02 - 21 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally with the security you have unless you live in a proper shithole I wouldn't bother insuring the new one till you pass.

Unless your garage burns down often.

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:03 - 21 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

if their is a risk with the insurance then i wouldnt take the risk, its not worth it

will probably try and find somewhere else as i really dont want to deal with flux ever again if i can help it, id even pay more if thats what it takes

im still hoping the dealer is willing to hold it for a few weeks but i wont find out until Friday

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:09 - 21 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Personally with the security you have unless you live in a proper shithole I wouldn't bother insuring the new one till you pass.

Unless your garage burns down often.

yea we have considered that, even putting it in the house, but this is my one chance to own a bike like this so i cant take any risks

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:26 - 21 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought about putting it into secure storage?

When I had my kitchen done I had to get my 911 out of the garage as builders were going to be walking through there a lot. Paid ~£100 a month for it to go into a humidity / temperature controlled hangar, sat on a CTEK charger, exercised around the yard once a week etc. The place was like Fort Knox.

I should expect somewhere like that to store a bike for a couple of months would be ~£100 tops and you'd like to think a very, very low risk of anything going wrong.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:06 - 21 Apr 2021    Post subject: Re: Getting a bike before passing test, insurance Reply with quote

BRUN wrote:
Im looking at getting my first 'big bike' and ive found what im looking for, I have just spoken to my insurance company (Bennetts) who I have a policy with for my 125 that I ride between lessons/tests, and they wont insure the new bike even though it will be garaged etc and I cant ride it, if I dont have the licence to go along with it

Has anyone ever insured a bike before, for just fire and theft, before they have passed, and could recommend any companies who will cover that

At the minute im not sure how long the dealer would hold the bike for me, my mod1 is booked and mod2 shouldnt be far away as long as the mod1 goes ok

Often learner/125 policies can not be upgraded to a larger bike. As some underwriters do not cover larger bikes.
So you may find that you lose the time on the 125, unless you complete a full year.

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:08 - 21 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, it did cross my mind but not looked into that yet

their is a place not far from my work, but iirc it had a bad fire a few years back lol

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:19 - 21 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's not due another one for a good few years yet then, lol.

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:59 - 21 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd not bother insuring the new bike as suggested.

Some insurance policies will allow you to make your policy dormant while you look for another bike, i.e keep it running until you need it again but not actually insuring a bike.

I normally buy a new bike before selling one, but my most recent bike change meant that for the first time ever I went for a total of 9 painful days without a bike in the garage.....
I sold my MT09 before I found something I wanted, I was able to put the policy on hold. I then found a replacement bike and was able to insure the new one with the time remaining on the original policy.

Worked for me Thumbs Up

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:26 - 21 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

bacon wrote:
I'd not bother insuring the new bike as suggested.

Some insurance policies will allow you to make your policy dormant while you look for another bike, i.e keep it running until you need it again but not actually insuring a bike.

I normally buy a new bike before selling one, but my most recent bike change meant that for the first time ever I went for a total of 9 painful days without a bike in the garage.....
I sold my MT09 before I found something I wanted, I was able to put the policy on hold. I then found a replacement bike and was able to insure the new one with the time remaining on the original policy.

Worked for me Thumbs Up

thanks ill look into that

Peanut_Butter
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:08 - 21 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be some Mrs you have if she's letting you keep it in the house till you pass Wink

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:23 - 21 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peanut_Butter wrote:
Must be some Mrs you have if she's letting you keep it in the house till you pass Wink

it was actually her idea lol

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:36 - 23 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent news, the dealer will hold it for me !
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 330 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1