Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Only In America

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:30 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Only In America Reply with quote

Two men killed in Tesla car crash 'without driver' in seat.

Actually the thread title is probably unfair on Americans. I'm sure there are plenty of dumb Brits that would try it if they could afford a Tesla on their Universal Credit donations. Wink

It seems that someone was in the passenger seat and someone in the rear seat and It is unclear whether Tesla's Autopilot feature was in use.
Oh deary me! Laughing Darwin proved right again. Thumbs Up

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56799749

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:13 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would of thought ...
The car would be aware nobody was in the seat and at very least scold you loudly.
Even my ratty Isuzu pickup makes an unholy din if someone is in passenger seat and doesn't put on seat belt (or circumvent that - but it still *knows* someone is in the seat with no belt).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:36 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought seat occupancy check systems were standard these days. Especially in a 2019 Tesla. Was the car modified? Why didn't it just stop on its own when there was no input from the driver? VW group cars warn you twice and then stop on their own when it's safe to do so, if you don't respond.

On the other hand, driver's seat occupancy check doesn't really make much sense because whenever the car is moving there is always someone sitting in the driver's seat. These seat occupancy check systems only make sense in case of a crash, so the airbag control unit knows which airbags to deploy. It's also important for the SRS = supplemental restraint system.

Well, it's only April but I think these two will win this year's Darwin awards. Thinking

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:48 - 20 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, not the first time something like that happened. That's why American cars come with a warning label saying "Cruise control is not a substitute for driver input."

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:46 - 20 Apr 2021    Post subject: Re: Only In America Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I'm sure there are plenty of dumb Brits that would try it if they could afford a Tesla on their Universal Credit donations. Wink

Correct:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-43934504

And, IMO, this is why all of this 'augmented' driving experience is just a gimmick.

If you have to be at the wheel and alert to everything going on, then you may as well just do it yourself - it's less boring, and easier to focus.

Of course the reason for the law not being changed to allow driverless technology to take full control is because god only knows what the AI does when it gets itself into a catch-22. Kill the driver and the occupants of an oncoming car in a head on, or kill the child by seeing it as the lesser of two evils just to mow it down. The driver has to make that choice.

Would you want to make that choice as you're dawdling along not really paying attention because the car does all the work for you? Not sure I would.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:00 - 21 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove from airport to Glasgow in a Vauxhall Something. As I was wending my way up the M6 I noticed the steering was unnervingly twitchy when changing lanes. It felt as though there was a fault in the vehicle's steering.
After about 5 miles I worked it out that the car had some sort of AI affecting the controls.

Object avoidance, and steering.
Had to keep at least a hand on wheel to steady wheel pr you heard a ping. If you let go a few times you were admonished by the bossy lady bot to hold the steering wheel. (Mildly arousing. Drooling )

The steering control is just fecking annoying as the force to correct between lanes is quite powerful.
But worsereserer is that if the lines are not very prominent the 'aactive' steering will allow the vehicle to wander over the lines uncorrected.
So effectively, a redundant system.
I would disable that shit if possible.
If you are not alert enough to steer between the lines then you should pull over and rest.
These systems will may be relied upon by tired drivers too much.

Another issue is that the AI function should be explained at the hire desk when the vehicles are collected.

Dont ask me about Electric Parking Brakes. Embarassed

(In mitigation, I was doing what was required to disengage the fecking parking brake but the donkey, who parked the car before I collected it, had stood on the brake pedal before activating the parking brake button.)

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:08 - 21 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
(Mildly arousing. Drooling )

Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:27 - 21 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
MCN wrote:
(Mildly arousing. Drooling )

Laughing

Why do you think men have a female voiced satnav? It's the being told what to do. Laughing

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/389b5474-2802-4acd-9b4b-5a6e7ebd438f/dt827l-2081be4d-0799-41a7-b450-06f4794c83d3.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMzg5YjU0NzQtMjgwMi00YWNkLTliNGItNWE2ZTdlYmQ0MzhmXC9kdDgyN2wtMjA4MWJlNGQtMDc5OS00MWE3LWI0NTAtMDZmNDc5NGM4M2QzLmpwZyJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTpmaWxlLmRvd25sb2FkIl19.Z4MwKRNOoh7nKlDV1LJ5ubIyW6mdIxL3wJABo5TpCuc
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 332 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1