Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda shadow 125 modifications? info required

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
 Topic moved: from Found on the 'Net to The Workshop by stinkwheel (23 Apr 2021 - 20:49)
View previous topic : View next topic  

GImanISPOTTER
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:04 - 23 Apr 2021    Post subject: Honda shadow 125 modifications? info required Reply with quote

I was thinking of buying a lithium ion battery and a better(lighter) sprocket and chain for my honda shadow 125 .
As far as the battey is concerned. do i just need to just buy the proper voltage or are there any other factors to consider when picking my battery ,
and for sprocket i was thinking of something called ironman sprocket (the way i understood it it is something like an extra strong ,hardened and tempered skeletonised sprocket popular with dirt-bikes and enduros)
would supersprox be better for performance then an ironman sprocket or is it overpriced . also could you post some links to where to order them from the internet in europe
and post some reputable brands for good quality sprockets ,chains and lithium batterys.

Please post experiences with lighter parts on lightweight motordcycles around 150 kg or about 330 pounds. To stay legalI can not add any power (its A1 licence and the bike has around 11 KW BHP) so i wanted to at least loose some unsprung weight or even sprung if its "good value".

has anyone upped a tooth in the front on a 125 and did you loose too much uphill performnance when you did that .
Also any other suggestions for best bang(kilos) per buck(euros) weight saving mods. Legaly (and unrealisticaly ) i am allowed to drop around 35-45 kilos (70 to 90 pounds).

for many reasons im keeping the bike for a long while. so i wanted to improove it
BTW im currently saving up for mods so i wont buy them next week maybe in 2 months or more

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:34 - 23 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, what made you think this was the correct section to post this to? Given that the "Workshop" section is higher up the page Wink

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:59 - 23 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think a lighter sprocket will make any discernable difference on a Shadow. It's probably in the marginal gains list on a lightweight scrambler/trials bike. You would probably get as much benefit by tipping the change out of your back pocket before you set off somewhere and running it on a half full petrol tank all the time.

Same goes for a lighter battery. It'll make your pocket more noticeably lighter than it'll make your bike.

Of all the things you could do, fitting a fflyscreen would probably help the most in an attempt to do something about the big un-aerodynamic lump between the handlebars and the saddle.

Put the £200 you just didn't spend on a skeletonised rear sprocket and lithium battery in a jam jar marked "Motorcycle test fund". Do the same thing every time you have an idea like the above...

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 10:06 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Stinkwheel has alluded to, you're not going to squeeze more performance out of it by removing very small amounts of weight. You wouldn't get much more performance by removing significant amounts of weight either. It isn't heavy in the first place.

The best return on investment would be in fitting better tyres so you can corner faster, with more confidence. Otherwise, keeping it serviced is your best bet. It doesn't have hidden reserves of power waiting to be untapped.

Doing your test and getting a bigger bike is the way to go faster. Learning to take corners well is the best way to enjoy a 125.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:09 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eat less pies?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:16 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, do your test, sell that bike and buy a bigger bike. A Honda Shadow is never going to be the watchword of performance. If you want a quick 125 buy an RS125 from 15 or so years ago... But honestly the quickest way to improve your pace is to buy a faster bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:12 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long until you can do your test and have a bigger bike?

Modding a 125 is mostly a waste of money as you can spend lots on mods which make marginal improvements or you could just buy a bigger bike.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:26 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a 125, even putting decent amouts of money into modifications is pointless unless you're racing it professionally.

Save the money for a bigger bike or courses that will improve your skills. The limiting factor is rarely the bike, but the rider.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 2 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1