Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Background noise..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:21 - 23 Apr 2021    Post subject: Background noise.. Reply with quote

I’m currently sat in the garden with a beer. I find the noise from the nearby main road (dual carriageway, NSL, one field behind the estate) relaxing, however Ms 1198 disagrees and dislikes it. Any strong opinions? She is somewhat more of a bumpkin than I am, brought up in a tiny hamlet with one neighbour and a single track road, whereas I’m slightly more used to towns!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:57 - 23 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nearby road here would probably annoy me if it wasn't for the neighbour and his dog constantly barking at each other, and my own loud music.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 23 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was born and spent the first 7 years of my life near the Elephant & Castle in Bermondsey, which is always busy and we lived in an ordinary council house, so no sort of double glazing.

Then we moved to Crystal Palace, which was, by comparison, semi rural - my parents had the whole house fitted with secondary glazing, but I refused to have my bedroom window done, because it was too quiet.

My first venture away from home was to the New Forest and in a double glazed house it was deathly quiet, too much for me and I used to crack the bedroom window open so I could hear the traffic on the M27.

For the last 5 years I've been living in rural Kent and I still haven't got used to the near silence at night, even the M20 gets quiet.

I tend to have a fan running gently, just so I've got some noise to sleep to.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:43 - 23 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get her some noise canceling headphones. Thumbs Up

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:18 - 23 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or get some noise cancelling headphones for yourself so you can't hear her bitching.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:42 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living in West London when I was younger, we had the A4/Great West Road at the back of our garden, and we were under the Heathrow flight path.
Then we moved to Bedfont, right next to Heathrow. Shocked .

Now I live in Norfolk, what a contrast!
Super quiet and no street lights.
I love the fact that the only thing I can hear outside are the birds tweeting.
Until the military jets fly over, but I hardly notice them compared to Heathrow and the Great West Road.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:30 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I just learnt to zone it out.

When I first came to London in 1984 ( Shocked ) I had the Bakerloo line running down the back of my garden. Didn't take long to "not hear it".

I do notice if there's no double glazing, like at present, I am annoyed by the massive building works beside my office at the hospital. Can't hear the dictation sometimes Rolling Eyes

For a while I lived in a side road off Shepherds Bush Green, and that got a bit rowdy, sirens all the time. Also, the so-called "dawn chorus" there was ridiculously early. Birds properly out of sync with the damn time of day Laughing

But other times ... well my whole flat is double glazed. I'm really close to the A13 and yet at times, my bedroom is wonderfully silent, even with the bedroom window cracked a bit.

At the front window onto the street, yeah sometimes the occasional shouty-laughter Africans, or a drunk doorstep-sitting type neighbour up the road, but if I close the windows I never really hear it.

Planet hellkat, properly insulated, is a glorious place to be. I could be anywhere. Wub

Can always hear me bike alarm, though! Wink Thumbs Up

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:52 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reverse here.
Living with a runway at the back of the house, we got so used to planes that you did not notice them taking off or landing.
When lockdown hit and they were all grounded. It was like what's that noise.... Almost total silence. Loudest noise was artics going through tunnel under runway...

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:16 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live on a fairly busy road, its the main run to the local Asda.
Been here for over 20 years and its really only the formula one/ TT racers that irk me on occasion.
Before that I lived in a very quiet close where any noise outside warranted investigation.
I don't remember ever getting a decent night's kip.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:31 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a lifetime on ships with main engine, fans and all different auxiliary machinery running 24/7, not to mention vibration, I still find it amazingly quiet in our house in a cul-de-sac.

Down on the boat though, Canada geese honking, Swans tapping on the hull wanting breakfast, Mallards quacking and happy people shouting 'Good morning'. Evil or Very Mad

I prefer the machinery.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:38 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
happy people shouting 'Good morning'. Evil or Very Mad

Down with happy people! Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:31 - 26 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
happy people shouting 'Good morning'. Evil or Very Mad

Down with happy people! Laughing

Correct.

Far too many 'Annoyingly Happy' People around for my liking. Mad

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 05:08 - 26 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live on a acreage just outside of a small town in rural Saskatchewan (Canada). like most late 19th century settlements the Canadian Pacific Railway run right next to the town. Of course most freight seems to be moved at night time which involves the train blasting its air horns at the two unmanned crossing at the each end of town. Took a while but just like living under the Heathrow flight path back in the UK you start to not notice it.
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:25 - 26 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

tatters wrote:
I live on a acreage just outside of a small town in rural Saskatchewan (Canada). like most late 19th century settlements the Canadian Pacific Railway run right next to the town. Of course most freight seems to be moved at night time which involves the train blasting its air horns at the two unmanned crossing at the each end of town. Took a while but just like living under the Heathrow flight path back in the UK you start to not notice it.

My friend lives just west of Regina, he can watch the trains pass from his window. You hear them when we are on voice calls Laughing I'd go insane.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:32 - 26 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's super quiet where I live and to be honest, I wouldn't swap it for anything. Thumbs Up

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:07 - 26 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where I live in the suburbs is fairly quiet, the only exception to that is when runway 08 is in use at Bournemouth airport, final approach to that runway takes the aircraft almost directly over my house. Thankfully Bournemouth isn't a particularly busy airport even at peak times.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:04 - 26 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artillery impact area a few miles away, my house is directly under the edge of the bit where the choppers turn while flying at treetop height, small arms ranges a mile out one way and tracked armoured vehicles using the crossing 200 meters away. Oh and the woodblock a few hundred meters away gets used weekly by exercising troops who inevitably practice bugging out under fire at 0230. Almost forgot the DZ about a mile away, the planes come over superlow to practice supply drops at the lowest possible altitudes.

If you need background noise (or to desensitise yourself to a warzone) come live in Tidworth Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:17 - 26 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nimrods were the worst I remember, at RAF Wyton. Shook the ground. The hovering Harriers were far enough away from our barrack block that they weren't a problem at RAF Gutersloh, with the occasional particularly noisy visitor.
Engine ground runs late at night at RAF Brize Norton could be a pain sometimes, and they were at least a mile away.

But I swear, if that complete prick lets his dog out to bark incessantly at 2 in the morning again... Evil or Very Mad

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:54 - 26 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Correct.
Far too many 'Annoyingly Happy' People around for my liking. Mad

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=100923

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:29 - 26 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have nothing more to add except that this is my 19000th post. How sad is that.

Of course the good thing is there are 12 sadder bastards way ahead of me with the post count and I only have 42088 more to post to catch the Borg. Dance!

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:07 - 26 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully you are saving up your 20,000th for a proper good one.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 358 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1