0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Honda NSR (R variant)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 0

Workerrcz
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:55 - 11 Apr 2021    Post subject: 1st 125cc - Yamaha TDR or Honda NSR Reply with quote

So I've been looking for my first bike - I was thinking a fast 2t 125cc Supermoto/Sport bike with some touring potential (used of course).

Current options are:
a '96 Yamaha TDR 125 (contact seller for miles, mild cosmetic damage only), which I hear is an absolute beast;

in the opposite corners are a '98-ish Honda NSR 125 (32 250 miles Shocked , new piston @23 000 miles, some aftermarket parts, needs new chain and front brake pads, missing some sort of strut holding the exhaust);

a similarly old Honda NSR 125R (contact seller for miles, new fiberglass fairing, nearly all parts replaced aftermarket/OEM);

and a hot Cagiva Mito 125, which is slightly more expensive, but very enticing

all for very similar prices. Now at first I leant towards the TDR since I don't care about looks too much, but now I'm not so sure (apparently it's supposed to be a bit expensive to run?). The NSR 125R also seems like a great deal, since it looks nearly untouched and is supposed to have most parts replaced. Right now, I'm salivating over the potentialities (and cowering before the maintenance costs) of the Mito. Looking for opinions on maintenance, touring potential and - of course Cool - performance.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 11 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you plan on getting a big boys license? Are you old enough to?

If so, deal with a years faff, get a 4T 125 (CG, YBR, CBR, Duke, MT, whatever) and learn how to ride. Then you can look at the fun that a 2T bike gives. Pass your test and get your license and then go buy something *really* fun. Almost any non-fucked 600+ will fuck your mindhole first time you really wind it on.

Without being a spoilsport, none of those bikes you're looking at are CBT legal without being massively restricted. Unlikely you'll get pulled, but it only takes one copper with a clue to price you off the road for a minimum of 5 years. An IN10 will fuck up half a decade of bikes for you.

Workerrcz
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 07:58 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

Without being a spoilsport, none of those bikes you're looking at are CBT legal without being massively restricted.

Our country doesn't have CBT - manual shifter 125cc or smaller are a 16+ license renewed every 5 or 10 years. I was just thinking that I can de-restrict these and get more power after waiting and passing the 18+ license without buying a new bike.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:18 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Workerrcz wrote:

Our country doesn't have CBT - manual shifter 125cc or smaller are a 16+ license renewed every 5 or 10 years. I was just thinking that I can de-restrict these and get more power after waiting and passing the 18+ license without buying a new bike.

be prepared for the engine to not last very long before needing a rebore if you go full power.
i had a yamaha tzr 125 as a first bike. faultless until i fitted the power valve servo. didnt take long for the piston slap to start after. great fun to ride though Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:07 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Workerrcz wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:

Without being a spoilsport, none of those bikes you're looking at are CBT legal without being massively restricted.

As said, a full power 125 (20-30BHP) is going to want frequent top end rebuilds (Piston, rings etc). Irrespective of any legalities (I don't know if it's legal to de-restrict them where you are), I'd suggest you can get a decent CBR125, MT125, hell, a YZF-R125 for about the money any 2T worth buying will command. Good ones are not cheap, and will only get more expensive, not to mention the cost of CastrolR and probably lead replacement additive for your fuel.

LNF
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:59 - 28 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't comment on the NSRs but had a TDR 125 as my tiddler when doing my Licence a few years ago. It was a French import so not restricted, but from memory they weren't ever sold 'full power' a la the 125 race reps so a little more mid range and hopefully a fair bit less rebuilding.

I loved that it was big and comfy (for a 125) and fast enough (for a 125) that I could overtake HGVs on a dual carrigeway.

I also enjoyed the tinkering, noise and smell. I'm glad that I had a chance to play with a 2 stroke while it was affordable. It wasn't my only transport so being an almost 20 year old 2 stroke that had god knows how many spotty youths owning it, wasn't an issue.

Despite all that I had it less than a year, I was planning on keeping it to at least get the years NCB for my first 'proper bike' but the process of getting a licence means riding a big bike. The first dual carriageway sliproad we came to on my first lesson on a 650 twin, consigned the TDR to the for sale section.

If you have a car I'd go 125 2 stroke in a heart beat as a fun play thing to tinker with and ride while waiting till you're old enough for something faster. If it's also your passport to freedom I'd accept a 4 stroke 125 is still 60mph faster than a 2 stroke one that is in bits in your garage.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:30 - 28 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

NSR125 and NSR125R are the same, aren't they?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 361 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1