Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

thunderace suspension refresh

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:50 - 15 Apr 2021    Post subject: thunderace suspension refresh Reply with quote

yamaha thunderace 25 years and 34000 miles old.

i would like to refresh the suspension. im guessing new springs and oil in the front forks and possibly a new rear shock, or perhaps a rebuild.

what would forumites recommend?

im not looking to spend a fortune on an old bike, or for racetrack performance. i like comfort and tend to ride at legal speeds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:00 - 15 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to do the same mods years ago on my FZR-Exup and tried Progressive Suspension multi-rate springs,but there was no settings that I could adjust that made the front handle in the way that I wanted it to do.I had read that straight rate springs were better,so I bought some Ohlins springs from Harris Performance and what a revelation.Much easier to adjust for what I wanted the forks to do, but not quite 100%.As the forks on the Exup are only adjustable for preload I read that some cartridge fork emulators were available from the States so I ordered from them well before PDQ in the UK started being stockists.

But with your bike having a fully adjustable front end,the best recommendation would be to fully service the cartridge and clean everything and check the service limit of the springs.A decent quality fork oil may well be sufficient after replacing any worn bushes.
I looked on the Ohlins,K-Tech and Race-Tech websites but not one recommends a suitable spring.I would suppose that many think that the OEM spring is good enough if within limits.

https://racetech.com/ProductSearch/12/Yamaha/YZF1000/1997

As for the rear shock,which from what I have read is not rebuildable,the YSS item from Wemoto is reasonably priced and on a special atm.

https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/yamaha/yzf_1000_r_thunderace/01/picture/rear_yss_z-series_monoshock

What age are the tyres that are fitted?A friend has just fitted Michelin Road 5s to his 1000cc bike and he was surprised how good they have turned out to be Thumbs Up

There are several owners who have posted up their updates on their T.Aces on www.exup1000.co.uk

Always have a 'Plan B'

Last edited by Fizzer Thou on 10:13 - 15 Apr 2021; edited 1 time in total

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:12 - 15 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd be amazed just how much difference fresh oil makes.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:36 - 15 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:

What age are the tyres that are fitted?A friend has just fitted Michelin Road 5s to his 1000cc bike and he was surprised how good they have turned out to be Thumbs Up

thank you for such an informative reply Thumbs Up

the tyres are a bit past their best...Bridgstone battlax t30, the front is a 20yr old and the back is about 9yrs old. both have reasonable amounts of tread left though.

maybe some new Michelins should be on my list? the road 4's seem to be highly regarded too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 15 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the front tyre is of that age then I would seriously consider changing it,whatever the remaining depth of the tread pattern.

I fitted Michelin Pilot Road 3s to my FZR-Exup which have the same wheels as on your ThunderAce.These are 3.5" and 5.5" which will accomodate a 120/70 and a 180/55 on the rear.A larger 190/50 is not worth attempting as it will not fit the 5.5" rim correctly and will affect the handling.A friend tried it on his Ace and he very quickly regretted it after one ride and replaced it with the recommended 180/55 size.

As both the Pilot Road 3s and the 4s have now been superseded by the Road 5s,you might get lucky and find a stockist with them at a good price,or try https://www.oponeo.co.uk/moto-tyre-finder to get an understanding about what is available at a reasonable price.

Demon Tweeks also sell good pair deals https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/motorcycle/wheels-tyres/tyres/

Always have a 'Plan B'

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 11:28 - 17 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anything with damper rod forks - old or new - I'm a fan of cartridge emulators. They make the damping better than new, which is useful when the roads are in worse condition than 20 years ago. I wouldn't replace the springs unless the current ones feel wrong. It's very easy to make the suspension feel different with new springs, but much harder to make it better.

So front suspension is fairly cheap and easy to improve. YSS cartridge emulators are about £60 from wemoto, a tenner for new oil, and an afternoon to modify the old damper rods with a drill and fit it all up. If you also go for new springs that about £100 more.

Rear suspension is more of a pain, because the only real option is to throw money at it. You may get lucky and find that either the existing shock can be rebuilt, or the standard shock from a newer bike is a direct replacement and upgrade, but more likely you're face with buying a new shock. Lots of options, lots of opinions, but broadly speaking you get what you pay for and it isn't worth spending less than £300.

Of course, you don't have to do both at the same time. If you do one end you will probably want to do the other end pretty soon, the bike will feel unbalanced with decent suspension at one end.

New tyres too. Ancient tyres are dangerous. They feel fine, they work fine until they don't - and let go suddenly.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:26 - 17 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:

New tyres too. Ancient tyres are dangerous. They feel fine, they work fine until they don't - and let go suddenly.

Exactly what I just posted in a recent thread too. My bikes not felt right for a bit, and upon inspecting the age of the tyres I was embarrassed with myself that I hadn't checked it a lot sooner. They're getting done as soon as my shoulder sorts itself out and I can ride again.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:17 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a pair of Michelin pilot 4 tyres fitted friday. blinking expensive Shocked

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:47 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
For anything with damper rod forks - old or new - I'm a fan of cartridge emulators. They make the damping better than new, which is useful when the roads are in worse condition than 20 years ago. I wouldn't replace the springs unless the current ones feel wrong. It's very easy to make the suspension feel different with new springs, but much harder to make it better.

So front suspension is fairly cheap and easy to improve. YSS cartridge emulators are about £60 from wemoto, a tenner for new oil, and an afternoon to modify the old damper rods with a drill and fit it all up. If you also go for new springs that about £100 more.

As I stated in my previous post,the T/Ace has fully adjustable front forks,so I do not understand why fitting cartridge fork emulators was suggested.... Rolling Eyes Thumbs Down

"But with your bike having a fully adjustable front end,the best recommendation would be to fully service the cartridge and clean everything and check the service limit of the springs.A decent quality fork oil may well be sufficient after replacing any worn bushes."

Always have a 'Plan B'

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:18 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
i had a pair of Michelin pilot 4 tyres fitted friday. blinking expensive Shocked

You won't be sorry. I went out with my bike club at the weekend and 7 of the 8 bikes had either PR4 or road 5 fitted. The one who didn't was whinging about his tyres being crap (but he's a racer and was at the front the whole way anyway, racers like to get their excuses in early).

I put linear springs in my VFR and they made a huge difference. I also fucked with the ride height and I'm using multigrade fork oil now so it's a bit more resistant to heating up on long runs.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:14 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

Yes, but they a worth it when you caught caught in horrible conditions and still want to make some progress.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 08:51 - 20 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tdibs wrote:
Yes, but they a worth it when you caught caught in horrible conditions and still want to make some progress.

That is debatable.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:11 - 20 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Tdibs wrote:

That is debatable.

Why so? They are easily some of the best ST tyres with decent wet grip?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:25 - 20 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Tdibs wrote:

That is debatable.

Most things are, but I think so. Excellent tyres for coping with whatever is thrown at them I find. The PR2s were the first tyres I found I could nearly keep to the same pace in the wet as in the dry, after years of riding bikes, and the 4s are as good, if not better. Doesn't mean there aren't other tyres that are good too.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:41 - 20 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Tdibs wrote:

That is debatable.

I doubt many here would agree.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 08:40 - 22 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
I doubt many here would agree.

I agree they wouldn't. Thing is most people here have only known radial tyres on big bikes whereas some of us can remember the time before they were the common tyres.

Tyres today from the big manufacturers are virtually all good tyres, there are very few bad ones or ones that have compatibility problems with specific bikes.

Pilots are very expensive for what they are and without the hype most people wouldn't be able to tell one type of tyre from another and those that can would be happy on most anything quality.

Ask the people who use Avon Storm3D's if they would pay double the price for Pilots and most will say no. Then ask the people who use Pilots if they would use Avons at half the price and they will also say no. Tyres are very subjective and very few people have compared tyres back to back to know what suits them best, they just go with what other people think as a guide.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:15 - 22 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you find a tyre that works for you, it is hard to bring yourself to move onto something else. Why would you, with the risk of spending all that money to find you didn't like what you'd changed to? Of course, if money is no object, no reason not to experiment with other brands/models.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:15 - 23 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Tyres are very subjective and very few people have compared tyres back to back to know what suits them best, they just go with what other people think as a guide.

Pretty much agree with that.

I've never tried Pilot Roads, but they are raved about, people don't like the Maxxis 'gimmick' Diamonds, but I loved them, would I buy again, probably.

Would I buy Dunlop Qualifier RRs again, no, people raved about the performance and grip on track, I felt underwhelmed with the grip and upset with the lifespan.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:28 - 23 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won my first pair of PRs, gratis Smile Was much impressed, so stuck with them.

Out of interest, what is the typical life of a standard set of fork springs, if there is such a thing as "typical" in this regard?

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:27 - 25 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I won my first pair of PRs, gratis Smile Was much impressed, so stuck with them.

Out of interest, what is the typical life of a standard set of fork springs, if there is such a thing as "typical" in this regard?

sounds like one of those how long is a piece of string questions.
i imagine multiple different things will determine the life, such as riding style, weight, road surfaces, temperatures, oil change frequency etc.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:03 - 25 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

sounds like one of those how long is a piece of string questions.
i imagine multiple different things will determine the life, such as riding style, weight, road surfaces, temperatures, oil change frequency etc.

Yeah, you're probably right. I think my attitude has always been, if it's all working fine, leave it alone.

Blah blah
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:32 - 28 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd speak to MCT, they serviced a set of forks and a shock for me after we discussed what I needed, great service and not that much in the grand scheme of things

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:28 - 29 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blah blah wrote:
I'd speak to MCT, they serviced a set of forks and a shock for me after we discussed what I needed, great service and not that much in the grand scheme of things

thanks for the suggestion, but i will do the work myself. i quite like tinkering.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:15 - 29 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you bought a Haynes manual for your Ace yet?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1859607209/ref=sr_aod_dp_img

At £14 it may well be the best investment you will make Wink

Always have a 'Plan B'

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:43 - 30 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:
Have you bought a Haynes manual for your Ace yet?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1859607209/ref=sr_aod_dp_img

At £14 it may well be the best investment you will make Wink

i have. between Haynes and youtube i should be good for most basic maintenance tasks Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 333 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1