Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Splitting crank cases

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dirtygirty
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:15 - 26 Apr 2021    Post subject: Splitting crank cases Reply with quote

Hi all.
I've got a 1976 Dt 175 which needs new main bearings and might do the transmission bearings while I'm at it, unfortunately I can't get the cases to split it seems the Yamaha used some sort of hard glue and not a gasket to join the cases together, I thought about putting it in the oven, but like Jasper carrot, me mam won't let me fix it in the kitchen, I gotta fix it in the garding.
I'm gonna try using a heat gun but wonderd if any of you guys have got any tricks up you're sleeve Rolling Eyes Idea Hmm maybe thinners might soften it.
Any ideas would be welcome.
Cheers girty.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:25 - 26 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It shouldn't be glued together. Rubber mallet?

All the berties are dirty BTW.

Dirtygirty
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:42 - 26 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nobby
I wonderd about the the glue, but it doesn't look like the cases have been apart before, based on the fact that all the screws looked as new, however there was a lot of excess glue under the cases which made me wonder. It does look a bit like araldite, which we used to glue cases and heads together on old two stroke konig race engines, but that used to come apart easy.
Tried the mallet trick no joy.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:18 - 27 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd try a heat gun and a lead shot dead blow mallet to try and work the cases loose. You probably have two or more dowel pins tight in there as well.

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:40 - 27 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a mechanic
Are you sure I mean really sure you have all the bolts out !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:01 - 27 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if it's any help but here's my favourite Indian bodge-merchants breaking down the slightly later DT125 engine:

https://youtu.be/RqGF-BZKMFc

But as Dave suggests, might be a fixing you're a missin' Thinking

<edit> or try this one:

https://youtu.be/ZPcR9RlsgRI

Dirtygirty
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:27 - 27 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess who's a plonker.
I was so busy looking for bolts I completely overlooked the bush in the rear engine mount.
So as you can guess after forty years it ain't gonna budge, so it's I've taken it to a local engineering shop.
The fella working there is so old he still uses a trumpet as a hearing aid, he was asleep in his chair when I got there I thought he he was gonna have a heart attack when I woke him up Very Happy the only piece of metric equipment he had in his workshop was a ruler.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:59 - 27 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little heat and a hydraulic press. He'll have that bush out of there lickety split. Cool

Dirtygirty
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:01 - 27 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the bush is a two piece bush so they don't need to come out, score today is one mechanic and two engineers still no luck.
Had I still been working in a body shop I would have have this thing apart in five minutes, tomorrow I'm gonna try the local bodyshop see If they will let met use they're reverse hydrolic jaws, there is a bit on the bottom of the engine where I should be able to squeeze them in carefully, touch wood.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:23 - 27 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirtygirty wrote:
Well the bush is a two piece bush so they don't need to come out, score today is one mechanic and two engineers still no luck.
Had I still been working in a body shop I would have have this thing apart in five minutes, tomorrow I'm gonna try the local bodyshop see If they will let met use they're reverse hydrolic jaws, there is a bit on the bottom of the engine where I should be able to squeeze them in carefully, touch wood.

Ouch. As an engineer who has had access to most destructive tools I'm not sure those on an ally casing is a very good idea.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:08 - 27 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using a hydraulic splitter is a phenominally poor idea. You'll probably bend or break those casings then you won't have to worry any more.

How certain are you that every casing bolt is removed? How clean is the lump and have you jet-washed out every pit and crevice on the outside? Is the generator and stator blackplate removed from the casings? There are often bolts of screws hidden behind the backplate.

If every screw and bolt are out then getting it hot ( but stay below 300 degrees C) will break any glue bond and expand the casing enough to loosen the ally housing off the steel bearings.

Bottom line, use as little force as possible. Heat is your friend. Don't bash the end of the crank even if you have the nut on it. The crank is fairly soft and you'll wreck the spigot perhaps even bend the taper. Use a rubber mallet if you have to.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:58 - 27 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's no gasket, wouldn't they have used Yamabond?

That's not too difficult to split and +1 for what Pete and Polarbear said, if you use a portapower to split your cases, they will be fooked at the end of it, along with any bearing or shaft that runs between them.

There's something else going on here.........
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:35 - 28 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the video posted by Easy-X..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPcR9RlsgRI

At 22m45s our host 'DIYPhil' fashioned a puller from some angle iron and bolts to split the cases. Approved technique? No idea. Seems to work though.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Dirtygirty
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:46 - 28 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi easy thanks for coming round today it was worth a try with two pairs of hands, I took the engine round to Phil the grease monkey in central avenue, he's gonna stick it in his oven apparently he's got some kind of air splitter that should do the job, hopefully I'll pick it up tomorrow gonna do the gearbox bearing while I'm at it, cheeky buggers want £80 for a kit of 4 bearings
Been checking online I can get them for about £30 if I buy them individually.
Probably stick a clutch and springs it aswell provided it comes apart that is. Rolling Eyes
Fingers crossed.
Thanks to the rest of you guys for all you're advice Thumbs Up it's much appreciated.
Cheers girty.

Dirtygirty
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:20 - 29 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh what day, well the crank cases are apart whopeee, but the mechanic wasn't overjoyed apparently it took one hydrolic press two hand presses and three mechanics an hour to get it apart, he reckons somebody had used liquid metal to glue the cases together.
He also recommended getting the crank rebuilt.
But we all know sods law says for every good thing you must pay with three bad things.
1 £60 labour plus i guess a couple hundred for crank rebuild.
2 get home wet patch on ceiling, baths been leaking call plumber more expense.
3 I go down shed to make a start on the engine, plumber turns up knocks on door no answer knock again hears screaming go round back, he comes round the back we go indoors thiers my 85 year old mum laying on the floor having a rest, broken hip & half a golf ball sticking out of her head, fell of the bottom step of the stairs rushing to answer the door, why do old people always rush, why did I go down the shed.
I suppose you could say it's been a poxriden day.
Not even allowed to go to the hospital, spent hour and a half repeatedly calling a&e tonite before I got through, she still waiting blood test results.
And my bathtub still leeks Neutral

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:56 - 29 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

'kin hell Sad

Dirtygirty
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:58 - 29 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah not a good day mate

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:53 - 30 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirtygirty wrote:
Oh what day, well the crank cases are apart whopeee, but the mechanic wasn't overjoyed apparently it took one hydrolic press two hand presses and three mechanics an hour to get it apart, he reckons somebody had used liquid metal to glue the cases together.
He also recommended getting the crank rebuilt.
But we all know sods law says for every good thing you must pay with three bad things.
1 £60 labour plus i guess a couple hundred for crank rebuild.
2 get home wet patch on ceiling, baths been leaking call plumber more expense.
3 I go down shed to make a start on the engine, plumber turns up knocks on door no answer knock again hears screaming go round back, he comes round the back we go indoors thiers my 85 year old mum laying on the floor having a rest, broken hip & half a golf ball sticking out of her head, fell of the bottom step of the stairs rushing to answer the door, why do old people always rush, why did I go down the shed.
I suppose you could say it's been a poxriden day.
Not even allowed to go to the hospital, spent hour and a half repeatedly calling a&e tonite before I got through, she still waiting blood test results.
And my bathtub still leeks Neutral

Oh bugger.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:04 - 30 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's Dagmar?

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:41 - 30 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
How's Dagmar?

Good question, well posed. You read my mind!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 333 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1