Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Gear advice for fat bastard

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:42 - 15 Apr 2021    Post subject: Gear advice for fat bastard Reply with quote

Hi guys looking for some advice here.

Got helmet, gloves, jacket and boots.

Into my 3rd season of riding now but still haven't got round to buying any proper protective trousers yet. Reason being is I've been hoping to lose some weight but it doesn't seem to be going very well, trousers are the most tricky item for me to find that fit and are comfortable but without falling down (they either feel too tight and uncomfortable around my belly or if I go a size larger they're too loose and I give major builders bum) but thinking I really ought to buy something for now even if it's not a perfect fit and I have to re-buy at a later date. Leather belts really dig into my belly and leave a sore red mark so try to avoid if poss Sad

So I'm about a 40 waist and 32 leg. I'm not convinced I'd get on with leather, or even find leather trousers or a one or two piece suit to fit my physique! So thinking the more casual denim approach. I bought a pair of Bull-it Covert Easy Covec Jeans in size 40 regular length. These jeans come with hip and knee armour. They seem to fit ok around the waist and the waist armour doesn't bother me too much but the knee armour feels like it's hanging really low and I have to scrunch them up to get the armour in the right place when I sit on the bike. Possibly because the jeans are riding low because of my bell? Maybe, but then you'd have thought they'd take that into consideration for anyone with a 40 waist. I bought another pair in short length hoping it would cure the problem, the armour does sit a little higher up but not perfectly, still have to scrunch them up to sit right when I'm on the bike.

I was kinda hoping for a solution that would be ok for both riding and just wearing casually for being comfortable in sitting and walking around when I get to my destination, or even to replace my Levis that I wear daily around the house. Pain in the arse to have to change your trousers when you ride somewhere for the day and it feels like I'm waddling around with the armour in the knee just doesn't feel natural.

Would you put this down to just one of the things we have to put up with as bikers? Was thinking of just keeping the jeans but taking the armour out. They'd still give a bit more protection than normal jeans as I think they're a heavier denim than your average Levis plus they have an abrasion resistance lining.

What are you thoughts? Am I alone in this problem? Is it unique to fat bastards? Or is it just a discomfort thing every biker has to suffer?

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:20 - 15 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me you could take the jeans to a tailor and have the pockets modified to relocate the armor. Personally, I can recommend leather chaps for superior abrasion resistance. They really cut the wind and allow comfortable riding in cooler temperatures, plus they are adjustable around the waist. On the downside, you still have to figure out what to do with them when you get where you are going. Sadly, there will always be a few twats around making snide comments about your sexuality. Cool They are also a tad on the expensive side, but wear like iron. A good pair will last 20 or 30 years.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:41 - 15 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, packed on a few pounds over the lockdown.

I think having armoured overpants has allowed me to get away with it. Looks-wise, anyway. What you do is, you wear the ordinary jeans you wear around the house, and when you want to go for a ride you put on these overtrousers.

I got them some time ago, they're called "Hawk", CE-approved (for whatever that's worth) and they're made of some tough fabric, with enormous pockets, and you can stuff D3O armour behind the knees and hips.

It's actually my jacket that's beginning to bug me, as there's absolutely no give in it. I'll probably buy a new one soon.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:57 - 15 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of thoughts -

I'm not quite as challenged as you in the gut department - though not far off - but I find braces work really well with my riding trousers (and I certainly never wear, or have worn, braces otherwise. Keeps them at the right height on your body, much more so than a belt when you have a bit of an overhang... Wink

If you find armour uncomfortable, have a look at D3O (it's a material, not a brand). Very soft and flexible until it comes under impact (when it 'locks up') so is more comfortable inside your clothing. It's been discussed here a lot. I have a pair of Hood jeans which are pretty comfortable, and they have D3O armour

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:44 - 15 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah braces - i got some spada stelvio textile bottoms and they come with a zippable offable brace thang - I ditched that and just got separate £10 braces and I've worn these trousers for most days over the passed 4-5 years

they're not amazing - but i get on with 'em alright, not tested in torrential shit much so can't vouch for that - linings go in and out well enough and they're warm as owt with some loose fitting merino long johns under them

getting new stuff and having to get comfy with it is a bit difficult sometimes, but these felt alright quite quickly

but yeah - braces

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:19 - 15 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so don't look at me, right.
I need to do the same, and have the same (kinda) reasons, so what i need is someone to come along (lets say, some sort of acolyte) and criticise be helpfully constructive:

Yes luv this does make your arse look fat BUT it will keep your skin safer than if you insist on continuing to wear Shocked FASHION ITEMS Shocked instead of properly protective equipment.

Said acolyte may be required to duck at this juncture.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:10 - 15 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

*rolls the phrase "waist armour" around in her mouth and doesn't much like the feel of it*

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:17 - 15 Apr 2021    Post subject: Re: Gear advice for fat bastard Reply with quote

Tuberculosis wrote:
because of my bell

Shifty

/apexpredator
https://media.giphy.com/media/kVFoQ3JKlvMukOJ6cK/giphy.gif

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:13 - 15 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a similar issue, but I have some decent (winter) strides but want something for now that isn’t double layered and makes me look like someone in waders.

Raza
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:35 - 16 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option to consider is elasticated belts. I use Site belts from Screwfix that cost £5. You can adjust the belt so it provides the right tension, as the buckle does not use belt holes.

boundy
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:10 - 18 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried 2 different pairs of the Bull-it Covec jeans, they just didn't sit right, went with a pair of RST Metro jeans + rst connection belt and wan wear them with my RST track tech evo Jacket.

Jeans are a 40w30l, jacket is a 60eu, does the job. Also have the tracktech trousers if I feel like going for a more spirited ride
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:56 - 28 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
Sadly, there will always be a few twats around making snide comments about your sexuality.

Funny fucker! LOL no just not keen on the idea of leather trousers and as you say, gotta change when you get to where you're going.

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
I find braces work really well with my riding trousers (and I certainly never wear, or have worn, braces otherwise. Keeps them at the right height on your body, much more so than a belt when you have a bit of an overhang... Wink

If you find armour uncomfortable, have a look at D3O (it's a material, not a brand). Very soft and flexible until it comes under impact (when it 'locks up') so is more comfortable inside your clothing. It's been discussed here a lot. I have a pair of Hood jeans which are pretty comfortable, and they have D3O armour

Yeah braces is something I could consider. A bit old fashioned but like you say if only for riding... could be ideal. I've actually found I've grown into the 40" short pair now and have worn them a few times so will have to keep them now anyway and will be sending the longer pair back. I'm not struggling with the comfort in the jeans now, kinda just got used to them. Even went to work driving the taxi still wearing them with the armour in place one day when I got back from a ride and had to dash out quickly and can honestly say it wasn't mega uncomfortable having the armour in place while generally walking around / sitting / driving. I might look into replacing the armour with D3O though like you suggest, I've just had a peek at the armour it came with and it's yellow and stamped with SW, looks quite cheap and nasty like the casting was poor. I've got D3O in my jacket as that's what it came with so yeah, I'll look into that and the braces, thanks!

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
yeah braces

Thumbs Up

Raza wrote:
Another option to consider is elasticated belts.

Also an option thanks but I'll give braces a try first as I feel anything around my waist there could potentially dig in and be uncomfortable.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:29 - 29 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

J&S for all your fat bugger needs. I have a jacket that has more Xs in it than Katie Price has stamped on her gusset.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:39 - 29 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
J&S for all your fat bugger needs. I have a jacket that has more Xs in it than Katie Price has stamped on her gusset.

Went in to J&S at the weekend, gave up. Stuff on the rack had hangers marked in various ways, some with numbers, some with XL, XXXL, 3XL, and only about 50% actually matched the size of the garment using said hanger. Try one jacket on marked 3XL, arms touch the floor. Try another marked the same, can't get into it.

Time to reproof my old jacket. It still fits if I take the back armour out.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 29 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Went in to J&S at the weekend, gave up. Stuff on the rack had hangers marked in various ways, some with numbers, some with XL, XXXL, 3XL, and only about 50% actually matched the size of the garment using said hanger.

Oh God, this in spades. I sometimes use J&S's 'head office' branch near Northwich and it's massive, with so much stock it should be a brilliant place to shop for bikey stuff. But every time I go in I get that sinking feeling, can never find what I want/need, and these days I get most stuff from sportsbikeshop.co.uk instead, having researched products online beforehand and making use of their excellent free returns service where necessary.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:13 - 29 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
these days I get most stuff from sportsbikeshop.co.uk instead, having researched products online beforehand and making use of their excellent free returns service where necessary.

^This^

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:35 - 29 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are a fatty I recommend using the lower gears.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:47 - 29 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
I, too, packed on a few pounds over the lockdown.

It's called putting on a quaranton.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:24 - 29 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Went in to J&S at the weekend, gave up. Stuff on the rack had hangers marked in various ways, some with numbers, some with XL, XXXL, 3XL, and only about 50% actually matched the size of the garment using said hanger.

Oh God, this in spades. I sometimes use J&S's 'head office' branch near Northwich and it's massive, with so much stock it should be a brilliant place to shop for bikey stuff. But every time I go in I get that sinking feeling, can never find what I want/need, and these days I get most stuff from sportsbikeshop.co.uk instead, having researched products online beforehand and making use of their excellent free returns service where necessary.

I use the same place and it's great for me. Ask the staff anything and they are very helpful.

Windypants
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:21 - 30 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're complaining about finding gear in 40W32L size??? I'd have thought that was relatively easy. I'm built like Hagrid and need 50W34L trousers. Needless to say, that's a different level of difficult.

I've used a company called JTS (https://www.jtsbikerclothing.com/) which seems to do biker clothing for humans built to a different scale to regular people. So far, I've only bought Richa gear from them, so I have no idea about the quality of their own brand kit, but the mail order service was very good and the staff were very helpful.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:16 - 30 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:
I sometimes use J&S's 'head office' branch near Northwich and it's massive, with so much stock it should be a brilliant place to shop for bikey stuff.
I use the same place and it's great for me. Ask the staff anything and they are very helpful.

I'm with you there.... I first went in nearly 5 years ago after a recommendation, as a born-again biker without a clue about what I needed - the sales guy must have thought it was Christmas when I said - "OK, I need everything" but couldn't have been more helpful, kitting me out with very sensible gear, well-balanced cost-wise; nothing at all that I regret buying. Everything which didn't later get trashed in an unscheduled dismount is still in use today. But with a bit more knowledge under my belt now, that's not how normally buy my stuff, and wouldn't do it again!

stamper
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:11 - 30 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that's the fat bit sorted. What about the bastard?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:14 - 01 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stamper wrote:
So that's the fat bit sorted. What about the bastard?

You called?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 352 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1