Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

K&N air filters

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:45 - 13 Apr 2021    Post subject: K&N air filters Reply with quote

I think the evidence out there and general consensus is that an 'upgraded' air filter will increase air flow. Reality being you'll probably need an exhaust upgrade and a remap to get any proper BHP gains and even then it probably won't be noticeable. But some like K&N from an economic point of view (supposedly lasting the lifetime of the vehicle).

I'm a lazy shit though. No way I'm ever going to clean the filter, wait for it to dry, clean again, wait for it to dry, then re-apply oil before re-fitting the filter again. Plus I'd be paranoid about either applying too little or too much oil. Personally I'd just rather treat even the K&N's as disposable and buy new every time.

Question is - how often is it recommended they're cleaned/replaced? I can't find the answer to this on their website. Also I think I heard somewhere they clog up quicker than OEM filters (often resulting in REDUCED performance) so just doing it every service probably isn't sufficient?

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:47 - 13 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe standard practice is to clean the K&N filter at the same interval that the manufacturer recommends for OE filter replacement. Of course, most manufacturers add the folloing caveat: "riding in dusty conditions will require service intervals to be reduced".

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:01 - 13 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you looking for performance I would not use K&N in course of work I cleaned thousands nasty dirty job and they do not filter as well as paper filters
To clean you use their solvent blow-dry put on heater leave to dry more add their oil their oil and solvent is not cheap
I have one in my Grom but it may well go
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:56 - 13 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a K&N filter will increase the air flow, but why it's that? Well, it's because those K&N filters don't filter the air that well.

I wouldn't bother with K&N filters. Those power gains are mesureable maybe on a race track (where running no filtration at all would be ideal) and in a laboratory.

Also, let's say you do use K&N filter and you do remap the system (to prevent lean mixture), if the stock engine does 100kW you will not notice it doing 102kW on the open road. You could however notice premature wear in the combustion chamber/s and head valves.

IF you want a cheap performance boost, change the final drive gear ratio. Loose on tooth front or add 2-3 teeth back and this will make your bike way quicker than a K&N filter. The top speed might get even higher, as on most of motorcycles (cars) the top gear is over drive = the engine struggling to spull it up.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:00 - 13 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one I had had a huge mileage before cleaning was recommended by K&N. That one did about 150,000 miles in two separate bikes.

It was a bit of a soak in the K&N gear, let it dry then use an aerosol to spray a thin layer of oil over it.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:22 - 13 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only advantage with K&N filters is that you can reuse them. But considering how often you change a filter and how cheap paper ones are compared to a reusable one, unless you're covering serious mileage a lot of the time, it's cheaper and easier to just stick with paper filters.

I've used em previously on my GXSR1000 and CBR600, but CBA to bother with them now. Easier to just to swap in a new filter and call it a day.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:28 - 13 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

50,000 miles!
https://www.knfilters.co.uk/blog/how-much-kn-air-filter-cleaner-do-you-need-to-use-to-clean-a-kn-air-filter/

I’ve got K&Ns in both bikes, one stock and one with a DynoJet Stage 1 tune (carb needles and a Remus can). On the Kawasaki I’ve cleaned and re-oiled it once in 60k miles although it may have been gently tapped /blown/vacuumed in some services. It’s almost fit and forget.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:28 - 13 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Yes, a K&N filter will increase the air flow, but why it's that? Well, it's because those K&N filters don't filter the air that well.
I wouldn't bother with K&N filters. Those power gains are mesureable maybe on a race track (where running no filtration at all would be ideal) and in a laboratory.
Also, let's say you do use K&N filter and you do remap the system (to prevent lean mixture), if the stock engine does 100kW you will not notice it doing 102kW on the open road. You could however notice premature wear in the combustion chamber/s and head valves.
IF you want a cheap performance boost, change the final drive gear ratio. Loose on tooth front or add 2-3 teeth back and this will make your bike way quicker than a K&N filter. The top speed might get even higher, as on most of motorcycles (cars) the top gear is over drive = the engine struggling to spull it up.

So,have you actually ever used a K&N filter in any machine you have owned??? It does not sound like it.So your experience of them is negligible.

As it happens I have found that with the right adjustments they can be a useful way of making a worthwhile modification.I have one as a direct replacement in my car,which has made the service intervals a lot easier to cope with as I do not like working on cars.

As for the bikes,I have a direct replacement air filter for the XR400R as well as one for the crankcase breather tube that would otherwise be unfiltered and open to atmosphere.
On the FZR-Exup the setup is for one filter per pair of carbs.These were fitted as the standard airbox would no longer fit due to the rubbers becoming solid over the years.The Dynojet Stage 3 kit made the air/fuel ratio easier to adjust.The crankcase breather pipe was also topped off with the same type as for the XR-R.

As for the cleaning regime,I have cleaned the FZR-Exup filters once in 40,000 miles using just hot water and plenty of washing up liquid.This was a lot easier than the foam filter for the dirt bike.
The XR-R K&N air filter has not needed cleaning in 15,000 miles.The standard filter is a foam type and would take far more time and effort to clean.

Always have a 'Plan B'

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:50 - 15 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

Not necessarily. I think the theory is that K&N filters are less restrictive because the filtration surface area is supposedly increased, not because it's filtering less effectively. Dunno if that's true on standard panel filter replacements but I'm pretty sure it's true on cone filters...

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 01 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought K&N purely on the basis that they were an upgrade. For both SV650 and 675.

Have since read something which seemed to indicate they just filter less. Larger particles were going into the engine.

On that basis, I switched to BMC a couple of years ago. Which just seemed to be better made. Plus the actual filter area was larger than the K&N.

I've noticed no difference, but just prefer the build of the BMC.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:06 - 01 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a BMC filter in mine, which I think is a similar thing to the washable K&Ns. Put in to go with the Ivans carb mods, and part of the airbox cut away to further increase airflow. I have never given it much thought since this was done, cleaned at service time, this filter has served for 10s of thousands of miles, no problems encountered.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 353 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1