Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Todays - What grinds my gears *ARCHIVE*

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 689, 690, 691 ... 696, 697, 698  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:34 - 04 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's making the assumption that, as frost in your freezer is de-ionised, all frozen water is and isn't taking into account how that frost got there.

Water vapour in the air.....

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:10 - 04 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
He's making the assumption that, as frost in your freezer is de-ionised, all frozen water is and isn't taking into account how that frost got there.

Water vapour in the air.....

Of course. Thumbs Up

And we know what assumption is don't we kiddies.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:04 - 04 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A chemist told me it years ago.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:07 - 04 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
A chemist told me it years ago.

Did he ask you to get a long stand as well?

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:20 - 04 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
He's making the assumption that, as frost in your freezer is de-ionised, ..

So frozen water is deionised?, And if isolated from air by being in a non metallic container presumably remains so?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:23 - 04 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:
He's making the assumption that, as frost in your freezer is de-ionised, ..

So frozen water is deionised?, And if isolated from air by being in a non metallic container presumably remains so?

No, water vapour which has frozen is de-ionised. The fact that it's frozen didn't make it de-ionised, the fact it was formed from water vapour made it de-ionised.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:47 - 04 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply put, if you want pure water, (distilled) you boil it and condense the steam. That condensed water is pure because you have left all the salts/particles behind in the concentrated brine.

You get the same sort of effect with the water from a dehumidifier, from a condensing tumble drier and from freezer ice, although not as pure as distilled water.

As Nobby said, the common part of the process is the water is extracted from water vapour in the air.

I must say you had me going for a bit. I actually googled to see if frozen water could be deionised. Embarassed

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:47 - 04 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
, all frozen water is

I don't actually care but I was just passing on what I was told so don't get your collected knickers in a twist.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 04 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Ribenapigeon wrote:

No, water vapour which has frozen is de-ionised. The fact that it's frozen didn't make it de-ionised, the fact it was formed from water vapour made it de-ionised.

Water vapour that has recondensed is actually distilled water and is very pure - as long as it's condensed into a perfectly clean container. The process of evaporation and condensing also removes mineral ions which makes it deionised as well.

Deionised water is passed through reverse osmosis filtration that removes any non-hydroxyl ions present. The water may still contain other contaminants though, whereas distilled doesn't. The advantage of deionised water is that it has mineral ions removed and thus doesn't deposit fur in systems and is non-conductive as well.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 04 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:

I don't actually care but I was just passing on what I was told so don't get your collected knickers in a twist.

Unfortunately, you were told wrong Razz

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:57 - 04 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
Ribenapigeon wrote:

Unfortunately, you were told wrong Razz

Seems so however the reason I came by the advice was over thirty years ago when I needed to top up my car battery this was the advice an aquantence who had done a chemistry degree gave me. The battery in question lasted longer than the Mini and then went into a vauxhall nova where it lasted for many years. So I always assumed that the info was right. The exact advice I now remember was to scrape the ice from the freezer using a plastic tool into a plastic container and to just make sure not to touch the collected water with anything metal.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:58 - 04 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Amazon - I ordered 4 x 2.5 litres of deionised water for my Triffids. It was out for delivery when I got a message that there was an issue and the delivery was cancelled and I'd get a refund in 5 days or so.

I buy 5l for £8 for my PC, it lasts forever for me (not you obviously) but at £8 for 5 litres, it doesn't seem too bad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:00 - 04 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:
, all frozen water is

Maybe he meant something like freeze distillation for more contaminated water.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:48 - 04 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmoan wrote:

Sounds sublime.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:23 - 04 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Jmoan wrote:

Sounds sublime.
Isn't that solid to gas with no intermediate stage? Still.requires it.to become vapour.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:06 - 04 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Isn't that solid to gas with no intermediate stage? Still.requires it.to become vapour.

Yes. That's how freeze drying works and where the ice inside your freezer comes from. The ice turns directly into steam.

Water is odd stuff. By all rights, it should really be a gas at way below freezing, (like hydrogen sulphide, which is a chemically similar but more massive molecule and has a boiling point of -60C). It's only because they loosely stick to one another that they remain a liquid.

We have a lot to thank van der Waals for.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:34 - 05 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topping up a battery using tap water (frozen and thawed) is risky.

Batteries are sensitive the the carbonates and other 'stuff' that can be found in tap water (from the cold tap).

Batteries should be filled using distilled/deionised/RO water. Which ever takes your fancy.

Thawed frost from the freezer at a squeeze. But distilled etc. is just too inexpensive for rigger-nigging to be economical.

Unless you were on Mars.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:41 - 05 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

*wonders vaguely why Paddy pours water onto his PC but as the whole concept of water vapour deionised blah blah is all too much for this peanut brain today, continues on to look at the pretty flowers and clouds*

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:07 - 05 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
*wonders vaguely why Paddy pours water onto his PC but as the whole concept of water vapour deionised blah blah is all too much for this peanut brain today, continues on to look at the pretty flowers and clouds*

He doesn't pour it on it, he cools it via pipes and radiator and fans with it - exactly the same way you cool a car / bike with it.

Just a bit more nerdy and slightly more careful with leaks Very Happy

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:01 - 05 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

That feckin Plunky Plunky Plunky sound of violins being plucked rather than bowed.
Many tv use it for background Moozak.

Pizzicato

https://youtu.be/aBs53SlEkso

Mad

Rubs ma fur the way I don't like it rubbed.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:14 - 05 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought at your age any rubbing was a bonus Mr. Green

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:19 - 05 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
I thought at your age any rubbing was a bonus Mr. Green

Rubbing is always good.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:31 - 05 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

It doubles as a foot soak machine.

But no, I like colours and lights and fans and radiators and sexy tubing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:42 - 05 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
That feckin Plunky Plunky Plunky sound of violins being plucked rather than bowed.
Many tv use it for background Moozak.

Pizzicato

https://youtu.be/aBs53SlEkso

Mad

Rubs ma fur the way I don't like it rubbed.

It's not made by plucking a violins strings, it's actually the sound made when Kirsty Allsop squats above Gregg Wallace and has a "tinkle" on the vacuous goons hollow skull. Yes very annoying and a sure sign of a shite TV show. I think I may have even posted on the subject in this thread at some point in the past.

It makes me wonder though, what ingredients including a pizzicato laden score would you need to make the ultimate in terrible TV light entertainment?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:55 - 05 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Kirsty Allsop squats above Gregg Wallace and has a "tinkle" on the vacuous goons hollow skull.

MCN would pay to watch that show. Shifty
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 328 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 689, 690, 691 ... 696, 697, 698  Next
Page 690 of 698