Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Please edjumicate me on side stand cut outs

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:55 - 26 Apr 2021    Post subject: Please edjumicate me on side stand cut outs Reply with quote

I seek the combined wisdom of the BCF.
Last couple of days ive had an intermittent issue where the bike wont start on the button, no solenoid click, nothing. However it will push start no issues. I dont suspect battery problems. Ride it round for a bit and then it will start ok again. Doesnt seem to ever happen when cold, only when pulling up then returning to the bike within half hour or so.

Im wondering if the side stand switch is the cause, but would this stop it starting on the push too? I also dont hear the fuel pump prime at all when its about to play the bastard on me.

Before i send it for an expensive fault find, which probably wont replicate for the garage, other than the sub frame being twisted, any other suggestions?

Tdm 850 4tx

Ta mucly[/list]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 26 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may not suspect battery problems but still worth ruling them out. Check the terminals are tight and the voltage is good.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:55 - 26 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be erring towards the start button, if you can open up it's casing then check the contacts and try spraying some electrical contact cleaner/lube in there, same with the key lock - don't use WD-40 for either.

Get liberal with the same contact spray in the sidestand's contact button manually working it in and out - engine off!! - and see what those tricks do for it.

My money would still be the on the starter button, especially if you've had plenty of skanky winter weather riding this year.

raak
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:03 - 26 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

side stand plungers can get crud in, cheeky squirt with wd40 on the nozzle might just clear it up.

if not the side stand maybe the loom, has a chafed wire in it.
could be the push is what makes the wires touch again rather then the static push of the starter.

had the devil of a job tracking down an electrical gremlin like that.
bike would run fine the cut out.

be dead for a bit then start up fine for a day or so...until.. Twisted Evil

mine was a few strands still intact under the tank...took ages to find..

good luck. Thumbs Up

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:11 - 26 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you suspect the side stand switch just bypass it on a temp basis.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:10 - 27 Apr 2021    Post subject: Re: Please edjumicate me on side stand cut outs Reply with quote

TaffyTDM wrote:
Im wondering if the side stand switch is the cause, but would this stop it starting on the push too? I also dont hear the fuel pump prime at all when its about to play the bastard on me.

If it is the side stand switch, it probably would stop it from starting on push. Think how it would be to push start the bike with the side stand down...soon as you put it into gear; engine kill. Could affect fuel pump operation as well, me thinks.

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 08:53 - 27 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
I'd be erring towards the start button, if you can open up it's casing then check the contacts and try spraying some electrical contact cleaner/lube in there, same with the key lock - don't use WD-40 for either.

Get liberal with the same contact spray in the sidestand's contact button manually working it in and out - engine off!! - and see what those tricks do for it.

My money would still be the on the starter button, especially if you've had plenty of skanky winter weather riding this year.

I owe you a pint. When it starts fine, if i actuate the starter with the stand down the oil/fuel light light up, probably to alert you to the side stand and no start. When its under the fault condition, no oil/fuel light, just the odo and neutral as per normal. Will open the housing for the switch/killswitch unit later (need to order a round tuit) and see what the contact cleaner achieves
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 08:53 - 27 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far it aint over yet Laughing

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:19 - 27 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Side stand switch will kill the bike full stop. Including on the starter.

Bypass it to test.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:55 - 27 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the wiring diagram it looks a similar setup to most modern Yamahas: to kill the engine the side-stand would need to be down and the gear engaged. So unless you also have problems with the neutral light coming on I doubt if it's that.

I'd be leaning more towards the kill switch, ignition switch and corrosion around the ignition fuse.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:19 - 27 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said above, on most bikes side stand switch only kills engine if bike is in gear (to allow it to be started in the side stand) so if it was malfunctioning you would expect it either to stop the bike whenever you put it in gear including bump starting.

I'd be looking at (spraying Wink ) the switch gear.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:45 - 27 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve had a couple of bikes with side stand switches.
They’ve ALL caused me issues, including leaving me stranded on the side of the road for a few hours, until I worked out what the issue was Evil or Very Mad .
Each one, I’ve bypassed them and the intermittent stopping and not starting has gone away.

I fugking hate side stand switches! They ALWAYS get dirty & damp & corroded Twisted Evil

I’ll bet many a biker has gone through kill switches, ignition barrels, batteries, etc , only to discover a stupid little switch connected to the side stand is the problem.
These days, it’s the first place I’d look if I have a problem with the bike not starting or suddenly the engine dying .

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:47 - 27 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
I’ve had a couple of bikes with side stand switches.
They’ve ALL caused me issues, including leaving me stranded on the side of the road for a few hours, until I worked out what the issue was Evil or Very Mad .
Each one, I’ve bypassed them and the intermittent stopping and not starting has gone away.

I fugking hate side stand switches! They ALWAYS get dirty & damp & corroded Twisted Evil

I’ll bet many a biker has gone through kill switches, ignition barrels, batteries, etc , only to discover a stupid little switch connected to the side stand is the problem.
These days, it’s the first place I’d look if I have a problem with the bike not starting or suddenly the engine dying .

I tend to agree, which is why I'd clean the all the switches in one go, I'd do the kill switch on mine at the same time because I always used it to kill the engine rather than the key and some of my Kwaks were prone to playing up there.
I don't know what they're like nowadays but my Yams always seemed to head the big fours list for being most prone to electrical glitches.

People quite often overlook the handle switches in their maintenance regimes, which is odd considering that those pesky switches might not get as much mucky road exposure as a sidestand switch but living in a coastal area and riding all year round meant that mine always had plenty of exposure to salty shit, however it's for good reason that most seasoned bikers know how to bypass their sidestand switch...

Last edited by mentalboy on 17:43 - 27 Apr 2021; edited 1 time in total

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:01 - 27 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, got the casing off and indeed it did look rather gunky so sprayed out, dried and refitted.

However i now have a new symptom, during the ride to hove the tach and speedo needles were going mental for a few seconds, then reading correctly, then bouncing around again. It seemed to me this happened more likely on a downhill stretch (still under load).

Just stopped and whilst the engine is still firing fine on the button, the tachometer is going beserk again whilst stationary and at tick over.

Wut do!

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:43 - 27 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm You SURE the sub frame aint bent?

Laughing

Tachos going berserk is usually intermittent contacts or extraneous electrical noise
If both clocks are going ape shit, I'd be checking for a consistent supply and ground continuity
from the clocks back to frame/battery negative terminal

Opening checking and cleaning all electrical connectors on bikes should be at least an annual thing.
I just sorted a 2018 delivery scoot in this way
Owner was saying 'fookin rubbish wont buy another' until I pointed out 42000 miles in 2 years in all weathers was quite impressive
but it takes a toll and bike or scoot, the weather will get in eventually if you dont keep on top of it.

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:43 - 27 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive adjusted the chain and everything Laughing

Sometimes i wish the tdm would just go out in a big bang and leave me with a big enough bill to walk away without hesitation
Would be nice to treat myself but it keeps dripping me hurty problems that are just about worth it to keep it going. Kwak are doing 0% apr at the moment on the versys which is tempting, but i havent had anything on tick for years and dont like the idea of it any more. But how nice would it be to have a shiney new toy!

Well on the ride back (mix of dual carriage way and a flowy single A) no spazziness from the clocks, no issues starting and restarting a few times so who knows

Hopefully the contact cleaner did it, possibly not fully evaporated hence the mini melt down Confused

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:54 - 27 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
If both clocks are going ape shit, I'd be checking for a consistent supply and ground continuity
from the clocks back to frame/battery negative terminal

If both clocks are going ape shit, I'd be looking overhead for a UFO about to tractor beam me off to another dimension. Shocked
Alternately, you might check make sure you haven't a failed diode in your R/R.

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 08:59 - 30 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to square one again Rolling Eyes started fine this morning, stopped for a coffee with MrsTdm, now nothing from the button, like im not even pressing it.

Of course i didnt bring the multimeter with me. And bumping is going to be a workout due to the way ive parked. Should have planned that one better!

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:04 - 30 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to think of some advice that sounds good and technical, but I wouldn't do myself, have the knowledge to do or the equipment, but still look knowledgeable on the internet. Sadly I can't.

Here is a useful video

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+make+fried+rice+at+home

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:23 - 30 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropped bike off at garage. At home making egg fried rice Thumbs Up

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:54 - 07 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the googlers of the future- fuel pump relay it would seem didnt like being warmed up any more

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:56 - 07 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

TaffyTDM wrote:
For the googlers of the future- fuel pump relay it would seem didnt like being warmed up any more

Well that was tricksy, oh the joys of modern lectrics!!

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:53 - 08 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

TaffyTDM wrote:

Come back gravity fed carburettors, all is forgiven . Smile .

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:22 - 08 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

TaffyTDM wrote:

I know a drag racing guy who kept blowing up his turbocharged engine because of that. His issue was vibration though not failure from heat or old age. Every time he put the bike on the dyno it would run perfectly, good safe fuelling but the vibration of running on the track kept causing the relay to make and break losing fuel pressure and causing an expensive melt-down by leaning the mixture under boost.

Glad you found it out eventually these things can get intensely frustrating Thumbs Up

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 346 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1