Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Back to Cornwall

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:04 - 25 Jun 2020    Post subject: Back to Cornwall Reply with quote

Of course, Premier Inn etc. begin opening at the exact same time as all my clients so I can only go for a few days Sad

Any advance on M3, A303, A30 over the moors?

TheIncredible...
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:39 - 25 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm from Cornwall so know it like the proverbial back of my hand so my advice is get on the A39 (Atlantic Highway) as far up as possible, in Devon if you can, Bideford into Bude and follow the coastal road.

The roads are stunning and the scenery more so. Thumbs Up

Depends where you're heading though, I may be able to recommend more areas/roads.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:59 - 25 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down the 303 at the end of the road, flashing lights, exclusion zones. Dance!

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:42 - 25 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheIncredibleSulk wrote:
I'm from Cornwall so know it like the proverbial back of my hand so my advice is get on the A39 (Atlantic Highway) as far up as possible, in Devon if you can, Bideford into Bude and follow the coastal road.

The roads are stunning and the scenery more so. Thumbs Up

Depends where you're heading though, I may be able to recommend more areas/roads.

St.Austell so tends to favour A30 or A38. Bodmin Moor is nice Smile

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:51 - 25 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
St.Austell so tends to favour A30 or A38. Bodmin Moor is nice Smile

Ah. You're going to Sn'Arsll. Not sure where you start from, what you're going to be in/on, or what you want from your journey, but I mormally go M4/M5/A30/A391. P'raps you could cross over from the M3 at Bagshot (God rot it). If you haven't been along the A30 for a while you'll be surprised around Kennards House, 'cos "improvements".

Irezumi
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 00:01 - 03 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends how long you want to take?

If you catch it when its quiet going from Exeter through Moretonhampstead (B3212) to Two bridges then Tavistock (B3357) can be nice, quite shaded around Moretonhampstead so be careful if its rained as doesn't dry so quick. Then join the A390 and onto the A38 or otherwise to finish. This is by no means a quick road though, particularly if you're behind a car as its hard to find anywhere to pass in places.

To do this can do A303 or M5 into Exeter.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:00 - 03 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irezumi wrote:
Depends how long you want to take?

If you catch it when its quiet going from Exeter through Moretonhampstead (B3212) to Two bridges then Tavistock (B3357) can be nice, quite shaded around Moretonhampstead so be careful if its rained as doesn't dry so quick. Then join the A390 and onto the A38 or otherwise to finish. This is by no means a quick road though, particularly if you're behind a car as its hard to find anywhere to pass in places.

To do this can do A303 or M5 into Exeter.

That's a nice idea. Could even head from Tavistock to Launceston to take in both moors Smile

Hmmm... thinking on it I might do A30 on the way down, A390/A38 + this diversion on the way back up. Best to do tricky routes when fresh rather than after 200+ miles of slog Smile Thanx!

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:59 - 11 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked: brake fluid & pad thickness, tyre tread depth & pressure, oil level, oiled the chain. Packing a puncture repair kit and some basic tools. Got bottled water & snacks for the journey...

Anything else?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:06 - 11 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petrol.... Smile

Bottle of oil.

Weather gear.

Clothes/shoes.

Money.

Cleaning rag/tissue.

Bicycle pump.

Washing kit.

Towel.

Swimming trunks.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:51 - 11 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Petrol.... Smile

Bottle of oil.

Weather gear.

Clothes/shoes.

Money.

Cleaning rag/tissue.

Bicycle pump.

Washing kit.

Towel.

Swimming trunks.

Lol... weather gear definitely! It is Cornwall after all Thumbs Up

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:26 - 11 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Lol... weather gear definitely! It is Cornwall after all Thumbs Up

You wait. You'll be buzzing down the A30 in lovely sunshine, a bit grey in the distance though maybe, and then you'll see the Dunheved bridge coming up, and it will look just a bit black over Lan'sn way, and when you get over the bridge, it will be just as though some people have thrown pails of cold water all over you (letting go of the pails, too...).

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:35 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny I noticed more of a temperature drop on some parts of Bodmin Moor than Dartmoor. Microclimates or some such.

Definitely need a bigger bike if I do this again.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:55 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you there now? You lucky thing. I hope the weather is nice, and the work is easy.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:58 - 14 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back home now....

Weather wise it went sorta okay. Lovely sunny day for the ride down, the Downs parked themselves in a cloud while I was there and then nice day on the ride back Rolling Eyes

Rain I can handle but there's something singularly depressing about incessant drizzle Sad

Anyhoo, outward bound I went M3 (boring) A303 (not too bad really) A30 over Dartmoor (super boring) onto the A30 through Bodmin Moor (spectacular scenery!)

On the way back I went A390/391 > A38 which is great fun when there's no traffic and then A3052 > A35 > A31. The A31 was shut down around Farnham so I went on a bit of a magical mystery tour of country lanes even helping out one of the locals who'd got lost in the diversion! At this point you appreciate a bike, any bike, is the best thing ever... well at least compared to a lowered BMW that the aforementioned fella had Smile

Conclusions from my first big outing ever on a bike (>500 mile round trip)

1) I'll never do it again on a small bike! I now fully comprehend the value of a nice R1250 or even a Goldwing!

2) Decent gloves (which I had) and a decent seat (which I didn't have) are your best friends. Honorable mention for the new mirrored visor I'd just bought.

3) Never sit in the middle of an empty layby an' chill as the poor lorry drivers need a break too! Park at one end or the other Smile

Needless to say the Rebel couldn't give two hoots - the expected reliability of a Honda - but I didn't feel comfortable cruising along much above 65mph on it. It does get a bit viby and an hour or so of that is not feasible. I spent most of the journey doing 60, mostly to take in the scenery Smile On the country roads though it was fine.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:28 - 14 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Conclusions from my first big outing ever on a bike (>500 mile round trip)

1) I'll never do it again on a small bike! I now fully comprehend the value of a nice R1250 or even a Goldwing!

Welcome to the sane club!

Pass the popcorn
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 293 days between these two posts...

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:34 - 04 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I did do the trip back to Cornwall this Bank Holiday Weekend.

Half way down the heavens opened so mostly miserable and cold. Dried out after crossing the Tamar so the views over Bodmin Moor cheered me up.

On the way back I went through the centre of Dartmoor. 40mph limits were necessary otherwise I would have run over a few sheep! Before that though I went through the Tamar Valley - "carving up the twisties" as Yammie Noob would say Smile Overall I managed to somehow pick the best time/route as I had zero hold ups, not even a tractor or a caravan Very Happy

Made the right choice getting a bigger bike 'cos even on the motorways, in bad weather, high winds, twisty lanes and steep hills the XSR DID. NOT. CARE. Laughing Definitely a case of the bike > skill of rider Wink

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:34 - 05 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't really done more than day trips on my XSR did you find the seat Ok or have you changed it?
Because to me it feels as much as anything rather thin though haven't exactly been uncomfortable on it TBH
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:19 - 05 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
I haven't really done more than day trips on my XSR did you find the seat Ok or have you changed it?
Because to me it feels as much as anything rather thin though haven't exactly been uncomfortable on it TBH

I still have the stock seat, marginally better than the Rebel.

From what I've read the ideal seat has firm support + maximum bum coverage Smile The XSR seat is definitely firm enough but obviously not as wide as the Rebel's. I was fine starting out but after 4 hours I found myself stopping more often for a stretch.

If I had an unlimited budget the ideal would be a wider, firmer, thinner* seat but if I was expecting to do a lot of touring I'd have bought a Tracer 700 instead Smile

tl;dr fine for journeys under 4 hours, IMHO.

*Short-arse, it's either that or lower the bike slightly.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:49 - 08 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention: I calculated the first half of the trip down and managed 75mpg Shocked That's a touch more economical than my "eco diesel" Skoda... or the Shit Triple as I've taken to calling it (1.2L 3-cyl engine!)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 324 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1