Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What have you done to your bike today? Archive.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 406, 407, 408, 409  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:26 - 02 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the revs are increasing and the bike isn't accelerating, then that's indicative of a clutch issue. The first thing to try is adjusting the clutch - it may be as simple as that.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 08:26 - 02 May 2021    Post subject: Re: Greetings BCF members Reply with quote

Genseric3D wrote:
Greetings to all BCF members .
Joined just. I don't know where to start, so I decided on this topic. A few years ago I was forced to give up my beloved hobby which was downhill and generally fast cycling [my knees refused to obey during one of the downhill runs on Cannock Chase] I decided to change the bike for another two wheels , my partner was mad at me for 2 years - Motorbike? Are you f^>"n6 mad !! Whatever now. In the last two days I changed the rear tire, brake pads, breaks fluid , engine oil , spark plug . I renewed the outer shell of the whole engine, the paint that was covered the engine started to peel off and crack after 4 years of riding wired . I used high-heat resistant paint for BBQ Cool
Confused Confused Effect is awesome whole unit in black matt. In the morning I decided to go for a 2-hour ride - check the paint heat resistant for the bbq Very Happy Very Happy Now I will ask the main question. While riding , after 20 minutes, the engine began to lose power. Gear change and when I twist the throttle to accelerate quickly (in any gear) I hear the engine sound increasing in pitch by a lot more than I'm used to hearing, but the motorcycle doesn't seem to respond and performance is very poor, full throttle after gear change and just sound like engine stopped on the highest torque. I was forced to back home. Are any of you , experienced riders can help me with your advice? I am afraid that this is a clutch failure, but at the same time I know that the air filter has not been replaced since 2016. Thank you very much for your help Mart Karma

Ask in the Workshop section, this isn't a troubleshooting thread, more of a what you've done in the garage today thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Genseric3D
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:14 - 02 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
If the revs are increasing and the bike isn't accelerating, then that's indicative of a clutch issue. The first thing to try is adjusting the clutch - it may be as simple as that.

Thank you Islander

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:46 - 02 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brands Hatch trackday

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:03 - 02 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whole heap of work on the project bike. It's not right yet. Carbs fitted and working, but hanging high. I think I know the cause. This bike won't take long. Second project this year

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:37 - 02 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

fixed a leaking fork seal with the help of a feeler gauge, replaced instrument bulb, put forks back on bike .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 02 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alloy barrel (87mm bore) and Hi-comp piston.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51153657276_4e9d1db256_b.jpg

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:38 - 03 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

changed the spark plugs on the Thunderace. what a horrible job!

i think the plugs i took out were likely the original ones from 1996.
the gaps on them were all over 2mm, the manual states 0.6-7mm.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:30 - 04 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listed it.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2592600191040308
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:13 - 04 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cphNpqKpKc4

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:36 - 04 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rear sprocket on the bigger bullet. 50T while great on the 4 speed 350 was a bit overkill on this one. Went for alloy as same price and lighter. Should raise my top speed from 50-something to 60-something.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51158392909_8be302637e_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51157840588_f08abd1e16_b.jpg

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:34 - 04 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid attention whilst I got lessons in how to fix it.
I helped find screws/nuts the right size and listened when I was being told about the benefit of keeping old oil and use it to lubricate assorted things later on.
I proved that I already knew what a ratchet spanner thingie was.
And I tried to ask relevant questions.

Then I wiped an oily rag about a bit and shined up some of the less grungy bits.

Then I rode it home from Amesbury. Mad how some days its a proper slog, and other days the miles just seem to eat themselves up Bounce! Bounce!

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:14 - 04 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, and I know that rubbery lookin' thing just by my foot pedal is a ... what, rear brake master cylinder (or something ?) Laughing

I did get explained how it works, but I might have to ask again at some point Thinking

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:18 - 04 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do NOT.use oil ( old or otherwise) on any belts....

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:08 - 04 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:01 - 05 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got it all together, these alloy barrels don't half sound like a bag of spanners being kicked down a fire escape, could be mistaken for a Ducati Laughing I need to get someone with a welder to sort that rack the angle is seriously bugging me now.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51160602049_fbbd360001_b.jpg

Rubber thingy holding my tank broke, replaced with a bungee. Was done as a bodge but I think it's good enough to be permanent.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51159816531_eb0687ba3e_b.jpg

This bodge however is temporary, I have the part but it's in a box, inside a box, among a pile of boxes and I'm not even sure which box
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51160057178_58a7c191af_b.jpg

I managed to do all this while in a Teams meeting and nobody noticed.

Still on the list for this one this year is fit the wider swingarm I have and replace the shocks with something less crap.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:36 - 06 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sold it.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:49 - 06 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Sold it.

That was quick I saw the advert on FB.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:44 - 06 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Sold it.

That was quick I saw the advert on FB.

Aye, the bloke's hyperactively enthusiastic about it. He insured it unseen before he left home, turned up with a mate and a van; didn't start it, didn't even sit on it, just started telling me about the bits he's going to buy from the army surplus shop he lives near. This is his 14th bike in 2 years, it's joining a Z900 and a Fazer in his garage.

Think it's the quickest sale I've ever had.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 06 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

Aye, the bloke's hyperactively enthusiastic about it.

Best kind of buyer

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
started telling me about the bits he's going to buy from the army surplus shop he lives near.

Poor bike, it'll have fake mud/rust and silly oversize knobblies before you know it Laughing

What's replacing it?

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:03 - 06 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure yet, on the list is the 650 Interceptor, Guzzi V7 Classic, or it might be time to scratch the Sportster itch. The Interceptor is winning currently, but the second hand market isn't as cheap yet for those - they haven't been available as long.

Then again, I could just as easily end up with a GPZ900R, K75 or Dullesville Smile

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:53 - 08 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a bit of a love affair with it at the moment.
I was looking at it when I was walking down the street towards it, and its a proper bastardy-looking thing. Not at all flashy-Harley at all. Its a bit scruffy, raffish.
Also, I think I've imbued it with my own personality traits. Shocked
It's definitely become a bit more "me" lately Laughing

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:21 - 08 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

It's definitely become a bit more "me" lately Laughing

Do bits keep falling off you as well? Laughing

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:40 - 08 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've lost three and a half stone somewhere round here, not sure where, probably fell off somewhere down the road same as the bloody back light cowling Rolling Eyes Bloody Harley Davidsons, wobbling about all over the place (see: same as me, again! Wobbling!)

But mostly, things just sag Laughing

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 21:10 - 08 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Not sure yet, on the list is the 650 Interceptor, Guzzi V7 Classic, or it might be time to scratch the Sportster itch.

Guzzi. Do it.

I have the V9, which is in many ways close to a Sportster (having owned an 883R and an XL1200), but 50kg lighter. The main thing that was annoying my about the XR was the weight. And the chassis.

It is worth looking for a V7 with suspension work done. The stock suspension is terrible, nudging towards dangerously so - the forks lock up when they need to move fast, and the rear shocks were like iron bars. Front is sorted fairly cheaply - under £100 for cartridge emulators and new oil, maybe throw another £100 at it for springs. For the rear you're looking at spending about £300 on decent shocks.

I think the V7 II (but I could be wrong, could be the I) is a little better here because it was more rear wheel travel, which means more suspension movement. When they went to the wider rear wheel it meant fiddling with the shaft drive to make it fit, and ended up with less wheel travel.

A very pleasing thing to ride for a gentleman such as yourself. Comfortable bimbling, but also capable when ridden faster.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 324 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 406, 407, 408, 409  Next
Page 407 of 409