Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Advice wanted, clutch, air filter, adjustment ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Genseric3D
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:20 - 02 May 2021    Post subject: Advice wanted, clutch, air filter, adjustment ? Reply with quote

Greetings to all BCF members .'
Quote:
'Ask in the Workshop section'' MarJay advice
Thumbs Up
Joined just. I don't know where to start, so I decided on this topic. A few years ago I was forced to give up my beloved hobby which was downhill and generally fast cycling [my knees refused to obey during one of the downhill runs on Cannock Chase] I decided to change the bike for another two wheels , my partner was mad at me for 2 years - Motorbike? Are you f^>"n6 mad !! Whatever now. In the last two days I changed the rear tire, brake pads, breaks fluid , engine oil , spark plug . I renewed the outer shell of the whole engine, the paint that was covered the engine started to peel off and crack after 4 years of riding wired . I used high-heat resistant paint for BBQ Very Happy Laughing
Effect is awesome whole unit in black matt. In the morning I decided to go for a 2-hour ride - check the paint heat resistant for the bbq Now I will ask the main question. While riding , after 20 minutes, the engine began to lose power. Gear change and when I twist the throttle to accelerate quickly (in any gear) I hear the engine sound increasing in pitch by a lot more than I'm used to hearing, but the motorcycle doesn't seem to respond and performance is very poor, full throttle after gear change and just sound like engine stopped on the highest torque. I was forced to back home. Are any of you , experienced riders Idea can help me with your advice? I am afraid that this is a clutch failure, but at the same time I know that the air filter has not been replaced since 2016. Thank you very much for your help Mart Karma

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:03 - 02 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check clutch plates' condition and measure thickness against service limtis.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:20 - 02 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

What oil did you use? If you used a car oil, it can cause the clutch to slip as they have additives (molybdenum etc) that aren't compatible with wet clutches.

Genseric3D
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:17 - 02 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Check clutch plates' condition and measure thickness against service limtis.
thanks Bhud , what I know so far air filter defo needs to be repl , checking now the throttle grip free play then clutch.

Quote:
xX-Alex-Xx wrote What oil did you use? If you used a car oil, it can cause the clutch to slip as they have additives (molybdenum etc) that aren't compatible with wet clutches.
from 2016 the same oil
Motul 5000 4T MA2 10W40 Thumbs Up Cool

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:04 - 02 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which model bike is this, it sounds like the clutch is slipping but noting how you spell tyres we need more information about it.
It does sound like the oil used when servicing might have affected the plates even if it was the same as used previously (are you 100% sure?)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:22 - 02 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you delve into the guts of the clutch, worry about oil, etc. Just try adjusting the thing - that may well be all that's needed. Thumbs Up

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:39 - 02 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
Before you delve into the guts of the clutch, worry about oil, etc. Just try adjusting the thing - that may well be all that's needed. Thumbs Up

That's exactly the next thing to do. How much free play is in the clutch cable?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:02 - 02 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a cable clutch then first thing to do is check the clutch cable. The fact that you have had to re-finish the engine paint suggests that the bike has been ridden in poor weather. If that is the case then the cable might be all gummed up and binding. Disconnect the engine end and push-pull the inner cable. If you can't flap the lever about easily the cable needs clean and lube.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Genseric3D
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:08 - 09 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked engine oil purchased 2016-21 and is not Motul , used from 2016 ''Castrol 15043E Power1 4T 10w-40 and K&N oil filter KN-140 ''
Bought just in case new air filter by HiFlo Filto , new set of Clutch Friction Plate Kit made in UK by EBC. Just no rain please Exclamation and I will start from clutch cable. Karma Thanks for reply xx-Alex-Xx , Pete. , Islander , Bhud , doggone

Genseric3D
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:44 - 09 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
What oil did you use? If you used a car oil, it can cause the clutch to slip as they have additives (molybdenum etc) that aren't compatible with wet clutches.

isn't Motul - used Castrol 15043E Power 1 4T 10w-40

Genseric3D
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:48 - 31 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
If it's a cable clutch then first thing to do is check the clutch cable. The fact that you have had to re-finish the engine paint suggests that the bike has been ridden in poor weather. If that is the case then the cable might be all gummed up and binding. Disconnect the engine end and push-pull the inner cable. If you can't flap the lever about easily the cable needs clean and lube.

I will disassemble it practically to the frame and then all checks and then some parts replacement such as air filter ,grips, handlebar bar ends weights , mirrors. With hope this is cable issue only...........
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 302 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1