Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:19 - 11 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case anyone finds it of use.

This site has lots of info
https://www.mototribology.com/articles/jaso-explained-part-1/

Including a link to a list of officially registered JASO products:
https://www.jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/4T_EV_LIST.pdf
Perhaps unsurprisingly, Lube-Tech and Westways are not on there. That does not mean they 100% aren't JASO, but you take your choice.

Taken from (but tweaked a little)
https://www.oilspecifications.org/articles/JASO_MA_JASO_MB.php

Code:

The motor oils that meet the JASO T 903:2006 standard can be classified into four grades: JASO MA, JASO MA1, JASO MA2 and JASO MB. The classification is based on the results of the JASO T 904:2006 clutch system friction test.

In order for a motor oil to meet any of the above mentioned JASO standards it must be at least of one of the following quality levels:

API SG, SH, SJ, SL, SM, SN
    ILSAC GF-1, GF-2, GF-3
    ACEA A1/B1, A3/B3, A3/B4, A5/B5, C2, C3, C4

Furthermore, the motor oil's Dynamic Friction Characteristic Index (DFI), Static Friction Characteristic Index (SFI) and Stop Time Index (STI) should be within limits according to the JASO 904:2006 friction test:

JASO MA2 was implemented to follow API SM onwards in lowering the amount of anti-wear additives Zinc & Phosphorus to maximise the efficiency of catalytic converters.
Ducati still recommend Shell Advance Ultra, which itself does not conform to JASO-MA2, but instead the older standard.

£25 for 4L. It's SL rated and JASO-MA. This is what I'll be putting in my Striple next.

The SV will continue to get the freebies, the cheap'n'cheerful as long as it follows the JASO based oil specs and I can get confirmation of the volume + type of modifiers.

Last edited by Pigeon on 20:18 - 12 Mar 2016; edited 1 time in total

Snod Blatter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:09 - 11 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:
Alternative product
No experience of it, but thought about getting some.

I bought a couple of bottles of Westway 10w40 semi synth to top up the TRX on a trip to Germany last year - anyone who has run a TRX or TDM850 will know how much they can drink. The oil seemed very thin in the bottle at room temperature, and the TRX drank it at an incredible rate, probably a litre every 1000 miles. No cams were ruined or shells spun, however, and the gearbox wasn't particularly awful with it either.

But yes, if you can find that it's suitable for wet clutches, then it's all about the ZDDP content. This is what separates Shell's Helix line from the Rotella line, as far as I can tell - Rotella is known for its high ZDDP content, but it's not allowed to be that high in Euroland because it has been decided it is too damaging to catalytic converters. Diesel oils can contain more ZDDP, these are likely the place to look in the future for cheaper deals.

On the other hand you can get very cheap "Vetech" branded 10w40 semi synth car oil from Euro Car Parts, rated API SN. This too seems very thin in the 20L tub I got for around £35, but I haven't tried it yet - it's for the K100. Being so thin I expect it to burn off at an alarming rate.. Or knacker the engine because there's hardly any ZDDP in it, being SN. Too cheap to resist though!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:16 - 11 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigup wrote:

Why?

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 11 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Comma Eurolite semi synth. Cheap and does what it's supposed to. Why pay all that extra?
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:42 - 11 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

God.i wrote:
I normally use car euro parts Triple qx 10/40 AND probably will again. I just get all excited when it's oil time change and like read what other people use.

If you ride a fazer there's no need to do an oil change.

Every decent 4T Yammy burns it faster than you'd bother changing it.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:50 - 11 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snod Blatter wrote:
This is what separates Shell's Helix line from the Rotella line, as far as I can tell - Rotella is known for its high ZDDP content, but it's not allowed to be that high in Euroland because it has been decided it is too damaging to catalytic converters. Diesel oils can contain more ZDDP, these are likely the place to look in the future for cheaper deals.

To quote the myth + legend again. Rotella had 1200ppm
API SM (and SN) are MAX 800ppm.

But I've got written confirmation from two large European oil companies that their SN 5w40 fully and 10w40 semi products are 1000ppm or over.
I had a repsonse from a British supplier who was more evasive & rude than the one at the start of the week, but hinted that they were also higher than the max standard.

You can take that with a pinch of salt of course, but maybe some companies are preferring to prioritise scuff rates over catalyst cuddling rates and what governments tell them.
The bad press about low zddp in mid 2000's might have led to a slight raising of the limit.

There's also many views (including engineer from GM and Chrysler) on whether lower rates are even an issue on modern vehicles. Particularly with alternative additives.
Also, diesel focused oils tend to contain more detergents apparently, which counteract the higher zddp they contain.
So a generic nW40 petrol / diesel oil seems likely ok (ie A3,B3,B4 if it's API SL+CF or earlier for older engines (thinking pre 90) and SM+CF or newer is fine for newer stuff.

The HTHS capabilities of Shell Helix Ultra are very impressive, same goes for Fuchs SuperSyn. They are top of the class for 5w40.
Fuchs is reasonably priced at £23 for 5L

As you say, ECP is cheap. And on the fact of it, not bad.
I'm still awaiting confirmation from them, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are also 1,000ppm zinc + phosphorus because they all seem similar at that level. Things change when you go 100% Ester, but the price over doubles too.

carparts4less is ECP spinoff
They have Triple QX fully synth 5w40 5L for £15. Would be rude not to. Smile

EDIT - Scrap that, just noticed the QX stuff "meets the requirements of" for the manufacturers listed. So doesn't actually have approvals it seems.

Last edited by Pigeon on 23:15 - 12 Mar 2016; edited 1 time in total

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:39 - 12 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
So, Tesco's cheapest 10W40, or... ?

So something like this? 10w40 5l for £15 at Asda.

https://s21.postimg.org/566oelw6v/as_Copy.jpg

https://s30.postimg.org/lsbfecrxt/as1_Copy.jpg

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:44 - 12 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

If you are happy to put a Non bike specific, non JASO MA oil in, then yes any old cheap crap will do Thumbs Up

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:49 - 12 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
If you are happy to put a Non bike specific, non JASO MA oil in, then yes any old cheap crap will do Thumbs Up

I'll just slowly withdraw into a corner.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:57 - 12 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used nothing but basic 10w40. I don't really care and nothing has broken but I change mine often. Very often.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:49 - 12 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of the oil specifications that are approved for use in the JASO-MAx spec are diesel specifications (ACEA B1, B3, B4, B5, C2, C3, C4)

For example, ACEA B3/B4 stipulate a minimum High Temp High Shear (HTHS) rating of 3.5 (viscosity at 150c).
And a Total Base Number (TBN - Very basic explanation, capacity to control deposits and acidic products causing corrosive wear) of 10.

The JASO-MA2 spec calls for HTHS of >= 2.9 and no TBN limit.
It also allows API-SM/SN, which as mentioned, have lowered the ZDDP content from previous standards and got some people excited.

Castrol Power Racing 10w40 has HTHS "min of 2.9" and TBN 9.8

HTHS results above 2.4 are desirable to avoid bearing wear.

So on the face of it, JASO-MA is not a lot more than an add-on-specification that measures friction. And actually, the underlying oil within the JASO-MA approved product is also important when considering what type of bike + conditions + use.

As an example, MOTUL 7100 5w40 is 100% Ester and as such, it adheres to positively charged metal surfaces. So it helps counteract some of the negative aspects of the API-SM/N standards which it claims to meet.

But one could stick to API SL with ACEA B3/B4 and get a cheaper alternative. Or get the benefits of API SN, if you can confirm ZDDP levels are more favourable than the standard (if you consider that important or not).

In the end, your still placing a lot of faith in the claims (either on the label, TDS/PDS or emails etc).

Fuchs Titan syn MC 10w40 - 5L for £19 seems to fit the bill nicely.
Fuchs Titan Supersyn 5w40 - 5L for £23 also excellent and similar to Shell Helix Ultra it would seem (both meet the Porsche A40 spec too (203 hours of engine thrashing and wear measurements)).

As mentioned, I'll choose Shell Advance Ultra 4 JASO-MA API-SL oil for my Striple. But my SV is getting cheaper, but branded B3/B4 stuff (ie with manufacturers approvals such as BMW LL01, Porsche A40, VW502 & 505 and Mercedes 229.3 & 229.5 because these are the checks that A3,B4 has been met (although not full proof of course)).

Last edited by Pigeon on 20:13 - 13 Mar 2016; edited 6 times in total

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:52 - 12 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
NJD wrote:

Thats what I stick in the exup

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 15 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

But shell Advance AX7 and Advance Ultra are both MA2. If you have AX7 or Ultra that is not MA2 then you have old product or fake product. Ultra has been MA2 since at least 2012, and i'm reasonably sure the AX7 bought from a forecourt in 2012, the remains of which reside under she-who-is-occaisonally-consulted's sink.

I like the Ultra. It's nearly clear and has little odour. Good clutch and gearshift feel. Really good for getting old sewing machines running again. Pours more easily at room temperature than motul.

I have been sticking to the motul for consistency, if my local independant drops the oil, motul goes back in, if i put shell in at my next change it feels and smells different and I find it harder to notice if something doesn't feel right.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 15 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
NJD wrote:

It's always worked well for my bikes. No kittens have suffered and I'm still here to tell the tale. Razz

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:06 - 15 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
It's always worked well for my bikes. No kittens have suffered and I'm still here to tell the tale. Razz

I'm not saying don't use it, just that if you are not precious about JASO MA2 then may as well go for the cheapest you can find Thumbs Up

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:47 - 15 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
But shell Advance AX7 and Advance Ultra are both MA2.

Ah, ok, looks like some online retailers are either running down stock or have not updated their product descriptions.

I am probably going to run the MA2 Advance Ultra in my Striple. But I noticed it's by some margin the highest viscosity 10w40 you can buy. But as Triumph recommend 10w40 or 10w50 then it should be fine, but I'll probably treat it as a summer oil.

Islander wrote:

Islander, not sure which Comma oil you have used, but on paper they are good. The internets talk of them being Mobil oil.
The internets are full of lies and myth of course. Could be anything. Even if it was Mobil 2 years ago, could be anyone this year.
None of Comma's oils are approved by xyz manufacturer. But they meet commas expectations of MB 229.3, BMW LL01 etc

Now if Comma are buying from Mobil or whoever, it may be they are not allowed to get approvals. It may be to keep costs down, they don't seek approvals. It may be their oils are junk and they'd never pass the approvals.
That's the chance you take.

But if the data sheets are accurate, they look good products.

Once I've tried the fuchs product, I'll be onto Comma X-Flow Type G 5w40
Loads of Zinc, high flash point, higher HTHS than MA2 standard, high VI and same kv100 as Castrol Power 10w40.
And £3.80 a litre Thumbs Up

Matt B wrote:
Islander wrote:

I'm not saying don't use it, just that if you are not precious about JASO MA2 then may as well go for the cheapest you can find Thumbs Up

Oh, I thought you were joking! Smile

I'm halfway in between. I will use car oil in bike engines, but it depends on the oil spec, what the TDS/PDS says, what level manufacturer approvals it has (because some confirm the B3/B4 limts and others are more rigorous in testing wear), whether I believe the company or not (and how helpful I've found them) and price. But that's unlikely to mean the cheapest I can find.

You have to pay for the full API spec. But I found this which shows some of the testing.
But in particular it confirms what I read here
Which is that the lower phosphorus (and thus lower zinc) levels of API SN only apply to API SN-RC (Resource Conserving). The ILSAC GF-5 oils. Basically anything nW30 or less.
So anything over nw40 and certainly the ACEA B3/B4 specs (they are non-catalyst related) are likely to have decent zinc levels and are unlikely to cause clutch slip.
Get something that has appropriate Kv100 (13.5-14.0), also has a high HTHS (>=3.5), a high flashpoint (>=220), VI over 160 and appropriate manufacturer approvals (VW 502, 505, BMW LL01, MB 229.3, 229.5 and possibly Porsche A40) and it should be a winner.

Car (all 5w40)
Comma X-Flow £3.80 / L
Fuchs Supersyn £4.60 / L
Total Quartz 9000 £4.60 / L (not the energy conserving version)
Shell Helix Ultra £5.20 / L
Comma Syner-G £5.40 / L
Mobil 3000 X1 £5.80 / L

Bike
Motul 5100 10w40 £6.60 / L
Shell Advance Ultra 10w40 £6.75 / L
Motul 7100 5w40 £10 / L
Motul 300v 5w40 £13.40 / L

EDIT:
OK, going with Motul 5100 for my Striple (as per Rhyno and Mr Hat).
Good price, solid specs and not as pea soup as Shell Advance.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:03 - 16 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you handled both you'd say 5100 was more viscous but the ultra was smoother. The ultra does not seem as thickmas its viscosity rating and it feels very smoot. The 5100 feels thick. Gearshifts are cushioned and clutch action is very progressive. The ultra feels smooth, gearshifts are slick and there's a more pronounced in/slip/out feeling to the clutch with good varience in the slip zone but more defiend transitions. I have a preference for the ultra but a stronger preference for not messing with how the bike feels by swapping brands depending on whether i did the oil or the garage did. Compare ultra to motul 7100 or 300v for a fairer comparison against closer specs.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:14 - 16 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:
Oh, I thought you were joking!

Yes and no. I am precious about it and therefore will keep on putting bike specific semi-synth JASO MA2 oil in. For a few quid a litre more I really don't see the point in scrimping, especially with the ZX12, a bike that probably doesn't need even a sniff of friction modifiers.

I also think that trying to change the opinions and oil buying habits of BCFers is as futile as trying to nail jelly to a tree. Not knocking anybody's choice to put cheap car oil in their bike, just saying you may as well go for the absolute cheapest in that case.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:52 - 16 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
I am precious about it and therefore will keep on putting bike specific semi-synth JASO MA2 oil in. For a few quid a litre more I really don't see the point in scrimping, especially with the ZX12, a bike that probably doesn't need even a sniff of friction modifiers.

An entirely reasonable and sensical approach. The Japanese bike industry came up with this standard pretty much because people were putting car oils in and suffering the consequences (making the bike producers look bad by proxy).

Years of experience and generations of knowledge, R&D and millions of pounds and hours have gone in to produce bike oil.

To take an expensive and possibly sentimental piece of tuned engineering and and to choose to put £15 of non-bike specific, untested, unproven oil in instead of an approved and well known oil for £25 just to save £10 over 6months while risking thousands. It's not overly sensible Smile

EDIT:
That being said. Granville 10w40 Semi. 5L for £10.85 Tempting Mr. Green

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:46 - 17 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that untill the USA's Endagered Species Act and subsequently the international (almost) ban on whale hunting, Sperm oil was a common friction additive. This was a bigger problem for automatic transmissions, particularly those running early dexron. Sperm is not good in high performance engines as it denatures at high temperatures.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:55 - 17 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
Sperm is not good in high performance engines as it denatures at high temperatures.

Would be a little surprised to see ppm measurement for sperm in a Used Oil Analysis sheet. Even more so for a Virgin Oil Analysis sheet. Smile
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 5 years, 53 days between these two posts...

Genseric3D
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:21 - 09 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

While searching for the difference between JASO standards I have found this info

''In 2006, MA1 and MA2 were added as extra categories within the JASO MA specification. The main difference between these two categories is the higher friction performance MA2 oils are delivering. This meant that from 2006 on, motor oils that meet the T903:2006 standard can be divided into four specifications for 4-stroke motorcycle oils:

JASO MA: This is the standard specification for oils that are used within one oil system (where the engine, gearbox and clutch use the same oil). These oils don’t contain any friction modifiers.
JASO MA1: This is a lower standard specification for motorcycles that require different oils for the engine, gearbox and clutch.
JASO MA2: This is a higher standard specification for modern motorcycles. These oils are suitable for use in motorcycles that have catalytic converters in the exhaust system.
JASO MB: This is a lower standard specification for scooter engines.
For an oil to meet any of the above mentioned JASO specifications, it has to meet at least one of the following quality levels:

API SG, SH, SJ, SL, SM
ILSAC GF-1, GF-2, GF-3
ACEA A1/B1, A3/B3, A3/B4, A5/B5, C2, C3
Although the above motorcycle oil specifications are by far the most important and worldwide recognised, JASO already introduced a rating system for 2-stroke oils in 1994. The tolerances of modern 2-stroke motorcycles and scooters are much smaller and also require an oil that generates less ash.

The JASO 2-stroke oil classifications are:
JASO FA: This is the lowest specification that tests lubrication capability, detergency, initial torque, exhaust smoke and exhaust system blocking. This specification has been officially declared obsolete in 2005 although it is still being used.
JASO FB: This specification is slightly higher than JASO FA and tests the same characteristics. It requires increased lubrication capability, detergency, exhaust smoke and exhaust system blocking. It corresponds with ISO Global Specification EGB.
JASO FC: This specification requires the same results for the tests of lubrication capability and initial torque as JASO FB but has higher standards for detergency and exhaust smoke and exhaust system blocking. It corresponds with ISO Global Specification EGC.
JASO FD: This specification has the same standards as JASO FC except for a higher detergency requirement. It corresponds with ISO Global Specification EGD.
Always check the owner’s manual to see which specification is required. If both an API and JASO MA specification are listed, make sure you pick an oil that qualifies for both specifications.

Apart from the above described worldwide recognised specifications JASO also defined the following (partly with API or ACEA correlating) oil specifications.

JASO DL-1: An oil specially designed for Light Duty Diesel Engines equipped with exhaust after treatment devices.
JASO DH-1: A high sulphated ash oil designed for the lubrication of Heavy Duty Diesel Engines, not suitable for exhaust after treatment devices.
JASO DH-2: A low sulphated ash oil designed for the lubrication of Heavy Duty Diesel Engines, particularly when equipped with exhaust after treatment devices.
JASO GLV-1: An ultra-low viscosity, fuel saving, passenger car engine oil.
JASO 315-1A: A specification defining a Dexron Vi automatic transmission fluid type. This specification is now renamed to JASO 1-A.''
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 350 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2