Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Big (60L) rucksack on motorbike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

JustinW
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:26 - 08 May 2021    Post subject: Big (60L) rucksack on motorbike? Reply with quote

Am I missing something, or is there an obvious reason why I couldn't wear a big 60L rucksack on the bike to go for an evening or two camping?
I'm a tall chap, and on sitting on bike with a big rucksack, it seems that I could have it strapped to me normally with the weight gently supported on the seat behind me.
I can get small tent and sleeping bag into it plus a few essentials.
Yes it'll be slightly top heavy but a lot less than a pillion.
Seems like a lot less faff and expense than top boxes, panniers etc, if it's literally the odd night away. Thanks.

Last edited by JustinW on 18:50 - 08 May 2021; edited 1 time in total

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:36 - 08 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought of it as a safety thing, because if you fall off and you've got bulky, hard and or / sharp objects in there, there's more potential for injurious shenanigans. That said, I do it All The Time. Because I do a lot of shopping - bike is usually transport for me. I've never had a top case on any bike, so it's always been a large ruck sack. Even with booze, food tins and other heavy-ish, bulky items, riding is fine. However, this is only for a half hour, tops. I wouldn't want to be riding all day with a backpack on. I have done it, mind you - and camped riding a bike a handful of times. It's doable - but eh. Not ideal, unless you travel quite light - and that's difficult if you're taking food, tent, cooking stuff and some sort of bedding and sleeping mat.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:41 - 08 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve done it years ago and you're right, it sits on the seat behind you and takes the weight off. If you come off it has serious potential to hurt your back and neck though. I’m still a rucksack user but I stick to 25L and try to pack lightly with mostly soft items. I bungee stuff-sacks to the tail for trips away.

Another consideration with rucksacks on a bike is if the bag protrudes above the upper shoulder strap fixing point it can keep nudging the back of your head, which gets annoying.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:06 - 08 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Halfar rucksack and mostly it's quite empty but sometimes stuffed full. I don't worry about potential back injuries because the way I see it having a chunk of something protecting your spine can be as beneficial as having a chunk of something bending it can be risky. You never know the mechanism of injury until after it happens.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:36 - 08 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works badly, I applied the same thoughts a few years ago when I had to go on a course (used a shortback Army bergen). Leaning forward to get the wind blast off me at speed the wind would pull the rucksack back. Wiggling about on the seat would alter its balance on the pillion pad causing straps to slip and then the wind would catch the rucksack and try and pull me off the bike. I ended up pulling all the straps as tight as I could and riding chin down, arse up, which with the weight in the pack was pretty unpleasant after about 20 minutes. 3 hour journey ended up taking over 4 hours and my back was in rag order on arrival.

TLDR - luggage or tie the pack to the seat

JustinW
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:49 - 08 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I'm going to have to try a test run. I'm pretty upright all the time on my CB500x so perhaps I'll get away with it. But if not, yeah, I'll lash it to the back.

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:19 - 08 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just strap the rucksack to the seat behind you? Confused

raak
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:39 - 08 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin734 wrote:
Why not just strap the rucksack to the seat behind you? Confused

WIN.

while i know others can and will do it.

IF... and i know no one ever plans an off.

BUT if... Shocked

test it out first

Put it on, go find a stool or maybe a table, drag it into the bedroom stand up tall on it, and throw yourself backwards onto the bed.

if that doesn't hurt..wear it

if it does.

Strap it to the bike. Thumbs Up

JustinW
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:52 - 08 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't honestly think I can strap it on as it's pretty unwieldy. Perhaps a 60l drysack without all the straps and crap of a rucksack would be a good compromise. I have seen in the states a sack which is a bit like a pair of stuffed jeans which 'sits' on the seat behind, but what with import duties etc... I take the point that the primary concern is safety in an off. Makes sense.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:37 - 09 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest lesson I learned from my first excursion cross country was to learn how to pack lightly. Most of the stuff I brought was an unnecessary burden. I shipped a large box of it back home, lightened my load considerably, and enjoyed the rest of my ride. 60 litres is overkill, even if you are camping. Lighten up.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:39 - 09 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
The biggest lesson I learned from my first excursion cross country was to learn how to pack lightly. Most of the stuff I brought was an unnecessary burden. I shipped a large box of it back home, lightened my load considerably, and enjoyed the rest of my ride. 60 litres is overkill, even if you are camping. Lighten up.

How do you plan on carrying the crate of stella if you aren't carrying at least 60 litres of kit?

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:57 - 09 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

How do you plan on carrying the crate of stella if you aren't carrying at least 60 litres of kit?

He's a Yank the Huey brings it in along with the surfboards and steaks.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:36 - 09 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
He's a Yank the Huey brings it in along with the surfboards and steaks.

It's true I am from the west coast of the USA, but I have always remembered that I am a guest on your UK forum. I try to be respectful and do my best to fit in here. Wink

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:49 - 09 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

We have trailers for that. The Triumph Rocket 3 is superb for trailer towing, BTW. Way better than that crappy old Harley.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51169539440_5f800e5bc0_z.jpg

Here are some mates bringing the Stella for breakfast.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51168446991_4505671a0b_z.jpg

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:42 - 10 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy any large waterproof holdall (20-30£) and bungee cord to the backseat. Wear a empty backpack to carry any extra when you need it.

WATP
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:25 - 10 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.motea.com/en/motorcycle-tail-bag-bagtecs-wp35-rear-seat-bag-volume-35-liters-orange-251333-0
I had something similar to this in the link my mate had it off me when I stopped riding for a while. Think mine was 60 litres though. There's also the soft panniers that go over the seat , then strap the rest to your seat

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:45 - 10 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve got a couple of Mountain Warehouse bags which I secure with a cargo net and/or bungee straps. If required I partition stuff inside with cheap draw-string bags. Who needs pockets? Protect the bodywork with duck tape or something like the Oxford Motorcycle Bike Blanket.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JustinW
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:12 - 10 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some great ideas here, thanks.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:24 - 10 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a car if you want to carry things. Mr. Green

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:34 - 10 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
get a car if you want to carry things. Mr. Green

There’s nothing cooler than a sportsbike with luggage strapped to the back. Serious intentions, full commitment.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:53 - 10 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went past Fretgrinder on the M4 on my way to BBQ with the FZ750 loaded up with all the camping gear and 18 cans of stella. He was pissing himself.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:10 - 10 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
The biggest lesson I learned from my first excursion cross country was to learn how to pack lightly. Most of the stuff I brought was an unnecessary burden.

That.

And carrying luggage in a tail pack and panniers is so preferable to having it all in a big rucksack. A basic set of soft luggage should be good for what you're wanting.

Add in some bungees and you'll be able to attach stuff to the luggage which means you can have the tail bag empty enough to go beer shopping.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:55 - 11 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
There’s nothing cooler than a sportsbike with luggage strapped to the back. Serious intentions, full commitment.

Damn straight! That's what cargo nets are for. Cool
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 345 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1