BCF: Bike Chat Forums

VFR1200F

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:39 - 09 May 2021    Post subject: VFR1200F Reply with quote

I'm pig sick of owning BMW's that spend more time apart than actually riding. I got my K1300GT late 2019 as it was allegedly more sorted than the K1200R. I've had to put in a new clutch, wheel bearings, refurbished front shock (totally out of oil and gas), powder coated the swingarm and had to have the engine WELDED due to corrosion (an oil leak occured and this was impossible to see without dismantling the bike). Bike had a full BMW service history and a lot of work done previously. Suffice to say i'm off of the brand now.

I'm looking around the £5k ish mark for a similar power, mpg, long distance ability etc. The VFR1200 keeps coming up. I have to say my battered old CBF500 has won be over to Honda as although it's had a few issues (worn carbs) it's been utterly, utterly reliable and seems to shake off winter commuting like it's nothing. Is there anything I need to be aware of on the VFR? Gearbox or engine issues? Corrosion etc?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:35 - 09 May 2021    Post subject: Re: VFR1200F Reply with quote

PotatoHead2020 wrote:
I'm pig sick of owning BMW's that spend more time apart than actually riding. I got my K1300GT late 2019 as it was allegedly more sorted than the K1200R. I've had to put in a new clutch, wheel bearings, refurbished front shock (totally out of oil and gas), powder coated the swingarm and had to have the engine WELDED due to corrosion (an oil leak occured and this was impossible to see without dismantling the bike). Bike had a full BMW service history and a lot of work done previously. Suffice to say i'm off of the brand now.

I'm looking around the £5k ish mark for a similar power, mpg, long distance ability etc. The VFR1200 keeps coming up. I have to say my battered old CBF500 has won be over to Honda as although it's had a few issues (worn carbs) it's been utterly, utterly reliable and seems to shake off winter commuting like it's nothing. Is there anything I need to be aware of on the VFR? Gearbox or engine issues? Corrosion etc?

I was invited to leave a BMW bike forum coz I critiqued BMW build quality.

I was informed by a BMW (main dealer service desk fatty) that the paint fell off my k1300 coz I never used the shampoo on the shelf in the BMW Dealer.

I only buy filters and spares from BMW now.
I fix them myself.

BMW Motoretard is a money-making-operation/money-laundering-scam.

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:37 - 09 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've had similar issues "You shouldn't have ridden it in the rain/winter" bollocks. I did the clutch and bearings myself and removed/refitted the shock for it's refurb. However, i'm fed up of having to do these fixes. The corrosion issues really, really pissed me off.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:48 - 09 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy More Warranty

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:06 - 09 May 2021    Post subject: Re: VFR1200F Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

As a fellow BMW owner/rider, I emphatically concur. I am appalled by the number of gross design flaws and manufacturing defects that BMW turns a blind eye to. Mine is a 2002 oilhead. Apparently this has been going on for a long, long time. Confused

Vracktal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:15 - 09 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. 90k mile BMW R1200r owner. All the paint fell off, all the bolts are cheese and there's rust everywhere because I had the audacity to ride it in the rain or some bullshit.

Colleage at work asked for a bike recommendation and I said any Honda.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:20 - 09 May 2021    Post subject: Re: VFR1200F Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
MCN wrote:

As a fellow BMW owner/rider, I emphatically concur. I am appalled by the number of gross design flaws and manufacturing defects that BMW turns a blind eye to. Mine is a 2002 oilhead. Apparently this has been going on for a long, long time. Confused

For as long as I can remember.

I find it absolutely extraordinary just how many people have bought into the great motoring myth that is BMW and not just the bikes, the cars are at least as bad, if not worse.

For many years, my theory was that if you had just paid twice as much for a vehicle than you needed to, then you weren't likely to tell everyone what a terrible purchase you had made, so perpetuating the idea that BMWs were somehow better than everything else.

But that shouldn't still be true in the age of social media, however, it continues; BMWs are the most reliable/sporting/powerful/best handling and have the best residual values of anything on the road, when the truth is, none of that is correct and it never has been.

There have been some things that they have done very well, but not enough to justify the reputation they have.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:23 - 10 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vracktal wrote:
...Colleage at work asked for a bike recommendation and I said any Honda.

Sound advice. I've put over 210k miles on Hondas since 1970, and but for a couple of stator failures (at around 70,000 miles) and a fried 3 phase connector, they have been trouble free. Most people will sell the bike long before stator failure, but in my experience, 70-75k is the life expectancy for an OE stator (aftermarket much less). When its time for my next bike, I'm likely going Japanese again.

As for the OP post; two mates of mine own VFR1200's. No complaints, but there was a drive line (U-joint) recall in the US. We swapped bikes one afternoon; the VFR1200 is wicked fast. Plenty of grunt down low that just keeps on coming till you hit the rev limiter. It is a very entertaining bike. Little on the porky side, but probably no more than the K1300.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:25 - 10 May 2021    Post subject: Re: VFR1200F Reply with quote

[quote="Shaft"]
jeffyjeff wrote:

But that shouldn't still be true in the age of social media, however, it continues; BMWs are the most reliable/sporting/powerful/best handling and have the best residual values of anything on the road, when the truth is, none of that is correct and it never has been.

There have been some things that they have done very well, but not enough to justify the reputation they have.

friends of mine, who worked for a BMW dealer in OZ a couple of years ago, said they would never buy one after seeing all the issues people were having with their new cars.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:58 - 10 May 2021    Post subject: Re: VFR1200F Reply with quote

PotatoHead2020 wrote:
Is there anything I need to be aware of on the VFR? Gearbox or engine issues? Corrosion etc?

Very complicated engine .. buy one of their (Honda) inline four motors .. will give you less headaches in the long run..

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:04 - 10 May 2021    Post subject: Re: VFR1200F Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
Very complicated engine .. buy one of their (Honda) inline four motors .. will give you less headaches in the long run..

It's superbly reliable though. short of the smaller VFR's, the only thing I can think of that is as bulletproof in the inline 4's is the CBR/CBF/CB 600 based bikes, which are very, very different to a big Euro tourer.

I'll echo the above. Not owned one, but ridden a couple and it's surprisingly nippy for a big old bike, but if you're used to a BMW tourer, you'll be fine with it. Styling is subjective.

If I was after a bigger capacity tourer than my 750, it would be VFR1200 I'd look at first.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:14 - 10 May 2021    Post subject: Re: VFR1200F Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
It's superbly reliable though. short of the smaller VFR's, the only thing I can think of that is as bulletproof in the inline 4's is the CBR/CBF/CB 600 based bikes, which are very, very different to a big Euro tourer.

You want bullet proof? Pan European.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:51 - 11 May 2021    Post subject: Re: VFR1200F Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:

You want bullet proof? Pan European.

Yeah, absolutely, but I'd take the VFR every time over it if I wanted it to get frisky, or if touring wasn't it's biggest function.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:12 - 11 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You right about that. The Pan is a brilliant bike in a number of ways, but frisky it ain't. Confused
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 350 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1