Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

LED indicators flash when bike is revving above idle.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

guffers_hump
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:19 - 08 May 2021    Post subject: LED indicators flash when bike is revving above idle. Reply with quote

Hi, So first time poster, been lurking for a while and reading good info on lots of bike topics.

I have installed LED indicators that on the front are also DRL's and on the back are brake and tail lights.

The bike is a Suzuki DR125 SM 2009 model.
I have installed a LED indicator relay and wired it all up and made sure there is low resistance between the negatives of the indicators and negative on the battery terminal (2 Ohm's max)

When the engine is off they work fine and when the engine is at idle they work fine. But when I rev the engine even slightly they flash and do what ever they like.

Road it 200mtrs down the road and they were all over the place.

I wouldn't have fitted LED's if the original incandescent's and brake lights were still on the bike. But sadly I'm tight and bought a cheap 125 that I have "fixed".

Any help would be grand.

Many thanks.

Last edited by guffers_hump on 19:59 - 08 May 2021; edited 1 time in total

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:49 - 08 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say 'original leds'. If the original indicators were led you wouldn't need to change the relay.

Have you just bought an indicator relay from halfords and stuck led indtators rather than bulb ones on it?

guffers_hump
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:01 - 08 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
You say 'original leds'. If the original indicators were led you wouldn't need to change the relay.

Have you just bought an indicator relay from halfords and stuck led indtators rather than bulb ones on it?

yes sorry corrected that error.

I have just bought an indicator relay with a variable resistor (or at least what I think is a variable resistor) which specifies that it is for LED's.
I have then put LED's on it. They flash at the correct frequency when at idle and when the engine is off.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:21 - 08 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go and buy a proper relay designed for use with leds.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 20:38 - 08 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If one of the indicators is misbehaving, it's the indicator.

If they are all misbehaving, it's the relay.

Be ready for added fun if that bike uses AC lighting anywhere.

guffers_hump
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:21 - 08 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Go and buy a proper relay designed for use with leds.

I bought the Relay specifically for LED's.

guffers_hump
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:22 - 08 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
If one of the indicators is misbehaving, it's the indicator.

If they are all misbehaving, it's the relay.

Be ready for added fun if that bike uses AC lighting anywhere.

OK thanks I'll have another look tomorrow.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:24 - 08 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looked at a dr125sm stock wiring diagram and it pretty simple.
All the led indicators going wonky like that suggest you fooked up the wiring by not understanding the system you were trying to modify
and/or the devices you fitted.
Without detailed info on what you have and what you've done
others can only make vague guesses at remedies

guffers_hump
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:06 - 09 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

So whoever had the bike before me took off the stock indicators and brake/tail light.

I was left with a non working brake light, no indicators and a bunch of loose wires.

What I have done is worked out which wires are right and left indicators, worked out which wire is brake light and tail light. Then got the negatives for each.

I then checked the continuity between the negatives and they were all under 0.8 of a ohm.

I added/split the brake light and tail light wires into 3 so that I could connect the brake light and tail light parts of the indicators and also wire up this new LED Brake/tail light as well.

I then added/split the side light bulb wires so that I could connect the DRL connection of the indicators to the bike.

I also replaced the side light with an LED bulb, took out the indicator bulb on the clocks and put a Relay that specifies it is for LED indicators.

They lights all work as they should when the ignition is on but when the engine is running it causes specifically the indicator LED's of the LED's to randomly flash, unless I put the brake on then they work as brake lights.

Hope this is more in depth.

Could it be that there is a lot of electrical noise on the indicator wire and would it be worth installing capacitors across the indicator and negative wires to reduce this?

Last edited by guffers_hump on 19:03 - 09 May 2021; edited 1 time in total

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 17:29 - 09 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try disconnecting the DRL bit. I don't have a wiring diagram for this bike to hand, but if the sidelight and headlight use AC, then the LEDs will flicker.

guffers_hump
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:00 - 09 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Just looked at a dr125sm stock wiring diagram and it pretty simple.

Do you have a full diagram with labels for the connections or just the wiring diagram, that isn't labeled what all the connections are.

guffers_hump
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:02 - 09 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Try disconnecting the DRL bit. I don't have a wiring diagram for this bike to hand, but if the sidelight and headlight use AC, then the LEDs will flicker.

Ok will try this tomorrow. But would the AC in the front DRL's cause all 4 indicator LED's to flash. The main bulb and sidelight bulbs are both on when only the ignition is on though.

guffers_hump
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:26 - 09 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be that my Rectifier is doing a bad job?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:56 - 09 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

guffers_hump wrote:
Could it be that my Rectifier is doing a bad job?

No.

If you have a proper relay for led indicators it won't make any difference about the drain or the voltage.

If it varies due to drain or voltage it's because it's an electromechanical relay. Thats why you can't use those with leds because leds have infinate resistance as far as the relay is concerned.

guffers_hump
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:25 - 09 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

No.

If you have a proper relay for led indicators it won't make any difference about the drain or the voltage.

If it varies due to drain or voltage it's because it's an electromechanical relay. Thats why you can't use those with leds because leds have infinate resistance as far as the relay is concerned.

Ok I bought this exact relay.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143979603783

These are the LED's I fitted
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164553566820

Have I been too cheap with the relay? If it is because I bought a pants relay why does it work as it should with the ignition on but when the engine is running it goes all weird and flashes when it wants to?

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:21 - 09 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think its electrical noise, wrap a couple of windings of the cable as close to the source of the noise (id say just after the relay on the light side) around a ferrite core and see if that helps. Search ferrite filter on Ebay
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:39 - 10 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

" unless I put the brake on then they work as brake lights. "

This is not supposed to happen , so it quite likely that something has got connected up wrongly.
Earthing is always a contentious area , Led's which only current in one direction make it even more problematic.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:13 - 10 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

guffers_hump wrote:

I added/split the brake light and tail light wires into 3 so that I could connect the brake light and tail light parts of the indicators and also wire up this new LED Brake/tail light as well.

I then added/split the side light bulb wires so that I could connect the DRL connection of the indicators to the bike.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong... But why are you splitting the wiring?

Indicators are separate from Brake/rear light.

Indicators often have live feed & are earthed to frame where the indicator stalk is.
Not connected to the rest of the wiring.

#Can't see point of DRL on the back. Even cars do not have them... If they can't see you on the bike, they are not going to notice a light....

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 23:30 - 10 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seem to be lots of people not understanding what is going on here. The OP knows exacty how what he has is supposed to work.

The front LEDs have two circuits. There is a DRL circuit and an indocator circuit and the two circuits share a common earth.

The Rear LEDS have three circuits. There is an indicator circuit, a DRL circuit and a brake light circuit which share a common earth.

On the front the Black wire is the negative, the yellow wire is the indicator live and the white wire the DRL live.

Ont he rear the black wire again is the negative, the yellow is the indicator live, the blue is the DRL live and the red is the brake light live.

For now just connect the black wires to an earthing point, not into the loom and connect the yellow wires to the indicator lives, DO NOT CONNECT ANY OTHER WIRES and let us know if the indicators now work ok.

I think either you have these wired in wrong or there is an earth leak on the circuit board, lack of diodes so power is being fed in reverse into one of the circuits creating a high resistive load. Excuse me if the terms aren't correct but I know what I mean Wink

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:25 - 11 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that: start with a bare minimum and build up. Before you do that though why not pull just the relay and give it some revs? If the indicators do anything then you have a pickle of a wiring problem but I suspect they'll do nowt. Then you can focus on the relay and its inputs.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:42 - 11 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

I think either you have these wired in wrong or there is an earth leak on the circuit board, lack of diodes so power is being fed in reverse into one of the circuits creating a high resistive load. Excuse me if the terms aren't correct but I know what I mean Wink

This. I was going to suggest fitting a diode on the earths from the flashers.

guffers_hump
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:01 - 11 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

For now just connect the black wires to an earthing point, not into the loom and connect the yellow wires to the indicator lives, DO NOT CONNECT ANY OTHER WIRES and let us know if the indicators now work ok.

Thanks for the explaining what I said but wording it in a way people can understand.

I have unplugged (i fitted insulated spade connectors) the tail and brake light from the the rear indicators as it was the only way to get them to work.

Now what I noticed when fault finding was that even if I unplugged the indicator connections from the rears the amber indicator LED's would still turn on when revving the bike. It would do this with either Brake or the tail light parts of the indicator connected.

Originally I simply thought that the they would all have just been 3 individual circuit. How silly of me. Obviously when the indicator is turned on, the LED unit has to know to turn off the tail light and instead priorities the indicator part of the LED's. So whatever weird fluctuation of voltage is on the Tail and brake light wires is causing the indicators to flash.

What is strange or maybe not so, is that the front DRL and indicators work happily.

As I am reasonably lazy and have been building this bike up for a while. I can't be asked to sort out the issue, whether I even could or not.

So if anyone else comes along with the same fault. I alleviated it by unplugging the Brake and Tail light.

guffers_hump
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:02 - 11 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Excuse me if the terms aren't correct but I know what I mean Wink

This is how I feel when I talk to anyone about anything technical.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 349 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1