Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda CBR F4i & Hornet Speed Sensor Compatibility

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Campbell SOUP
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:49 - 11 May 2021    Post subject: Honda CBR F4i & Hornet Speed Sensor Compatibility Reply with quote

Hi all! It looks like the speed sensor on the CBR has gone. At first it couldn't read speeds over 40 mph, and now it just reads 0 everywhere.

Problem is, some retailers are asking for £200+ for a new one! That's 10% of the bike's value spent on a sensor..

I've found some other Honda speed sensors on ebay going for less, namely from Hornets, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with whether or not a sensor from a Hornet (or any other Honda bike from that time) would fit? The part numbers are different, but they look very similar.

Cheers

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:54 - 11 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the part number is different the odds are it won't work.

Campbell SOUP
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:03 - 11 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I don't think I'd bother rolling the dice, just thought it was worth seeing if any tight arses like me had tried in the past

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:19 - 15 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory, it would work if it's a Hall effect sensor, but whether the bolt holes line up in the correct position is another question.

As they're so reliable, what makes you think it's the sensor and not the wiring?

Campbell SOUP
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:25 - 15 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they reliable? I've read on forums that speed sensor failures are common. Forum posts are anecdotal though obviously.

I reckoned it was the sensor after taking a look at the connector and finding it to be clean. A general wiggling of the wiring didn't improve anything.

I did manage to find a sensor off Ebay going for £30, which I've fitted today. I'm able to read speed again with the wheel off the floor spinning the wheel by hand, which is good, but it needs a proper road test before I call it job done. The last sensor was working below speeds of 40mph for a bit before failing completely, so I need to make sure it's not doing the same.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:58 - 16 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to make sure the sensor-tone wheel air gap is within specs. Too much gap = erratic sensor performance.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:21 - 16 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Campbell SOUP wrote:
Are they reliable? I've read on forums...

Anecdotally yes, it's always the ring, wiring or connector on the ABS, crank, or speed sensors I've ever dealt with.

The sensor is very simple, no moving parts, and is sealed from the elements.

Glad you got it sorted. Thumbs Up

Campbell SOUP
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:37 - 16 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
Don't forget to make sure the sensor-tone wheel air gap is within specs. Too much gap = erratic sensor performance.

I'm not sure how I'd adjust the gap on this speed sensor setup. It bolts into the gearbox above the output shaft I think, with an o-ring around the sensing 'tube' to seal the gearbox. Any shimming would screw with the o-ring seal, and there's no obvious way to measure the gap without basically taking the engine apart.

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
Campbell SOUP wrote:
Are they reliable? I've read on forums...

Anecdotally yes, it's always the ring, wiring or connector on the ABS, crank, or speed sensors I've ever dealt with.

The sensor is very simple, no moving parts, and is sealed from the elements.

Glad you got it sorted. Thumbs Up

Cheers! Not a bad result for thirty quid and an afternoon in the garage. Took the bike for a spin just now and it's reading speed like a dream Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:54 - 16 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Campbell SOUP wrote:

Took the bike for a spin just now and it's reading speed like a dream Thumbs Up

I'd hope it's reading speeds like a CBR. Honda Dreams read speed highly erratically and not much over 70mph. Laughing

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:06 - 16 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Campbell SOUP wrote:
I'm not sure how I'd adjust the gap on this speed sensor setup. It bolts into the gearbox above the output shaft I think, with an o-ring around the sensing 'tube' to seal the gearbox. Any shimming would screw with the o-ring seal, and there's no obvious way to measure the gap without basically taking the engine apart.

Sorry, I guess when you said you got a reading by spinning the wheel, I assumed front wheel. Most ABS speed sensors are adjusted with shims, and that's what came to my mind. My VFR had a mechanically driven speed sensor, off of a coupling on the countershaft sprocket. You might have something similar to that.

Campbell SOUP
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:10 - 16 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
Campbell SOUP wrote:

Sorry, I guess when you said you got a reading by spinning the wheel, I assumed front wheel. Most ABS speed sensors are adjusted with shims, and that's what came to my mind. My VFR had a mechanically driven speed sensor, off of a coupling on the countershaft sprocket. You might have something similar to that.

Ah, I've never had a bike new enough to have to deal with an ABS sensor Laughing

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:38 - 17 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Campbell SOUP wrote:
Ah, I've never had a bike new enough to have to deal with an ABS sensor Laughing

Ah! Well, my bike is 19 years old, and has aged, clunky ABS. Works when needed, though. Wink Never gave ABS much thought until junior put himself in the hospital in a situation where ABS might reasonably have altered a bad outcome.

Campbell SOUP
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:00 - 17 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
Ah! Well, my bike is 19 years old, and has aged, clunky ABS. Works when needed, though. Wink Never gave ABS much thought until junior put himself in the hospital in a situation where ABS might reasonably have altered a bad outcome.

It would have saved me from sliding my first bike down the road the day after I bought it Laughing Hope he recovered ok!

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:49 - 18 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's OK now. Been a long recovery though. Thanks for the thought.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 338 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1