Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Module 2 help please

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Cookiemonster...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:19 - 16 May 2021    Post subject: Module 2 help please Reply with quote

Hi I have my Module 2 test soon. Just have a few questions please. Ive been riding a small bike today and been taking mental notes of what I was unsure about during the ride.

1) Mini roundabouts indicating when coming off is what my instructor is saying I should do. Ive heard somewhere indicating off is not necessary, theyre just too small and too little time. Is it true I wont be penalised for not indicating left to exit a mini roundabout?- if it's true I wont do it on my test day. Can an instructor here please confirm?

2) Travelling on a straight road , a car is behind me and a bit further on the road on my side widens until a set traffic lights and branches from the one lane I was travelling in, into three lanes going left, straight and right. Do I need to indicate to choose to go into the new left lane or new right lane?
Would just mirrors and shoulder check not just suffice?
Its not like Im changing from one lane of traffic to another lane of traffic. Im choosing a lane from a position of leading the traffic...

3) Variation of 2) Theres a junction with a minor left road before my lane widens and splits into three lanes .
There is such little space between the junction and the traffic lights. If the answer to 2) was yes should I still indicate if I want to go into left lane or will the examiner penalise me for confusing traffic into thinking I was making a left turn at that minor left road as opposed to getting into the left lane approaching the traffic light?

4) I was on a residential side street with parked cars on both sides of a narrow road. The small road curved and even though I was going really slow there was nothing I could do about the car coming round the bend, nowhere to pull in, nowhere to stop except be forced to squeeze between a parked car and the oncoming car which had to slow down almost to a stop which Im pretty sure would be a fail. What could I have done?

5) Left turns minor to major no problems, can do all day long.
Mirrors, signal, shoulder check then move to the kerb and turn when major road is clear.
Right turn minor to major is causing me trouble. I've been taught do the same as left except move to position 3 right by the white line in the middle of the road instead of the kerb for the final bit.
Trouble is when the road is smaller, the cars turning right from the major road or even left from the major road keep crossing my side and forcing me to move or they are forced to stop and wait for me to make my turn.
So I thought maybe it would just be good to keep slightly right of position 2 instead of position 3
Then on a another occasion even after I did this a lorry came and still forced me to move over to my left to give it space.
Im pretty sure both of these are a fail right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

spongefinger
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:26 - 16 May 2021    Post subject: Mod 2 Reply with quote

Check out this guy not well know but has just put up 2 great videos about mod 2 https://youtube.com/channel/UCl82t2856RMFjxGi9N4Wtrg

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:14 - 17 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. You are correct.
2,3. You are correct. Lifesaver after mirror check and get in position before lane actually splits.
4. Just stop safely and let them pass, easier than having a slow speed wobble.
5. Just treat every junction on its own peculiarities..... get as far right as is safe to do. You don't need to be right up to the middle white line, but position 3 and close is what they want.

Cookiemonster...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:49 - 17 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
1. You are correct.
2,3. You are correct. Lifesaver after mirror check and get in position before lane actually splits.
4. Just stop safely and let them pass, easier than having a slow speed wobble.
5. Just treat every junction on its own peculiarities..... get as far right as is safe to do. You don't need to be right up to the middle white line, but position 3 and close is what they want.

Thank you for confirming Kentol. I hope I am overthinking this, Ill update you on how it goes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kyle.
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:55 - 17 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Too little time to move your thumb?
2. If you're going in to the left lane to turn left then indicate left and if you're going into the right lane to turn right then indicate right...
3. Indicate left after you've past the junction, if you have to move into a left lane before the junction I would not indicate as a car may pull out from junction which would be seen as a major fault.
4. Stop and let them pass or they can reverse.
5.Don't put yourself at risk by hugging the white line, eventually a vehicle will squeeze past on your left and run over your foot. Be defensive. The cars and hgv shouldn't be entering the juction if it is not clear. If it's too tight to turn in for them because you are there then tough shit for them. They must wait till its clear and allow you go. Don't feel as if you're holding them up.

Best of luck with your test.

Cookiemonster...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 06:50 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Test is tomorrow Pale Can't believe it's going to be pouring Sad

Really do appreciate these answers- I just have a few last ones please.

1) When approaching a normal roundabout with lanes for left straight and right do I just indicate, pick a lane and hold the central position 2 of my lane before entering the roundabout?
I don't pick position 1 for left , 2 for straight and 3 for right do I? I hope the position 2 for all is correct because that's what I've got real used to doing.

2) Mini roundabouts on approach there is only one lane, do I still hold the central position or do I treat it like a normal left turn e.g. position 1 and a normal right turn so position 3?

3) I then have have to do any lifesavers on a mini roundabout? e.g. left lifesaver before left turn and right lifesaver before right turn?

4) And then another lifesaver when coming off like a normal roundabout? i.e. to right check if left turn, left check if right turn, probably no check on exit if going straight since only one lane at the exit no other lanes to check.
Edit: Actually now that I say that for going straight, there is no exit lifesaver for any of them is there because it is only one lane on the exit? Is this correct?

4) Usually when moving off after having been stopped, I have to do that mirrors then shoulder checks in both directions. But what about when entering a roundabout?
If have been waiting for the traffic I'm giving way to (coming from the right) to clear, once that last car passes I just go straight in don't I, I don't do mirrors, shoulder checks otherwise I'll have missed my chance to get on and pissed off drivers behind me right? I've got beeped many times for this.

5) Yesterday I was turning right on a large normal roundabout. Indicated, shoulder checked got into right lane, stayed near the island indicating right, indicated left after the exit before mine. Then a scooter rider on L Plates who doesn't realise traffic coming from right in every lane of roundabout must be clear before joining does the following: He is coming from the exit before mine so decides to enter because the lane on the roundabout nearest to him is clear while I indicate to exit. His intention is exit AFTER my exit so if I continue with my exit we will collide. I broke hard so we wouldn't meet as did car behind me in my roundabout lane, then left lifesaver and exit after he's passed.
Was this wrong? Is this what left lifesaver is for in situations like this? To stop you moving if there IS something there? Should I have just continued, done a full circle of the roundabout instead of what I did and tried the exit again when there was not a fool there?

6) It'll be raining tomorrow which is typical so 4 second rule when following the car in front but what about when joining a lane I desperately need to enter to take the correct route? I had this yesterday. I needed to enter the lane to my left while it was pissing it down since it was only left lane to go straight. There was quite a long bit of road to make the lane change but I was at the speed limit and the car just a few metres behind me acknowledged my intention to change but was not slowing down to let me in and still maintain that safe gap of 4 seconds. I can hardly go faster when I am at the limit. I can't slow down and just wait for it to undertake me because I think that's a fail and there was a car a safe distance behind it which would have closed that gap giving me the same problem with itself. I was really lost in that situation- There was about 50-100m of road but it was just awkward, what could I do there except abandon the plan and just stay in my lane and go right even though so much road left?

7) I saw a mod 2 video yesterday you get penalised if you go over drain covers or have to go over humps in the middle of your lane. Especially if it's raining like tomorrow
Surely this can't be right? Sometimes it's unavoidable? Yesterday for both of this obstacles I couldn't swerve. The road wasn't big enough and there was opposing traffic on my right+ parked cars on my left. Swerving on either side of the drain cover or the hump would put me too close to either the parked cars or the moving traffic which would be a big mistake no? I just check my mirrors slow down to go over whatever it is in front whenever I have danger on either side instead of my usual mirrors, shoulder check, avoidance swerve onto the appropriate side.

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:46 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive not passed my mod2 yet just so you know, should have it in the coming weeks, just working on getting my obv's as muscle memory

your first question, in your bottom post, i was told by my instructor last Friday, if the lane your in is multi direction, then take the position for where your wanting to go, if left, pos1, if right pos3, but if the marking in the road only has one direction, sit in the middle

your second question, i would hold the centre line, if you go position 3 for a right turn, your gonna be very close to the painted circle and risk going over it, which your not allowed to touch, if its left then id consider lifesaver and move to pos1

im not certain on point 4 myself actually so will be reading this for replies, i did do the lifesavers the other day and yes i agree its too much messing about for traffic and you miss your chance

your fifth point, if you get someone in the wrong position on a roundabout, just go around it again, dont risk a collision etc, iirc your allowed to go all the way around 3 times without issue, and its the safer thing to do which is what they want from you on a mod2, safety

point six, if you dont have enough room to move over, just go straight on, examiner will adjust your route accordingly, again safety is paramount above all else

point seven, go through the gaps between the speed bumps, are you talking about the square ones ? look ahead for traffic and adjust your speed maybe ? im not actually sure what the right thing to do would be, if their is a parked car covering the left gap, and the right gap would bring you too close to oncoming traffic on the other side, interested in peoples replies to this, i would imagine you would have to ride over the speed bump, seems the safest and most logical thing to do

BedsClanger
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:31 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the examiner's role is more of an art than a science, such that there's no one definitive answer to some of these questions. Rather it'll depend on all the circumstances. You're better off keeping to a few simple rules, and riding defensively with common sense, good obs, and confidence than agonising over every possible scenario. Good luck!

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:49 - 21 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Cookiemonster14

how did it go

Cookiemonster...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:43 - 21 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRUN wrote:
@Cookiemonster14

how did it go

Failed. Crying or Very sad
Dangerous Undertake.
I honestly don't know what came over me Sad . It's like I forgot where I was.
The road became 70mph after a roundabout. Was a right turn at the roundabout did a lovely lifesaver to the left before exit. The usual observations before entering the roundabout

Until... there was a white (fiat I think) in the right hand lane just after our exit. I was waiting for him to speed up, waiting patiently. Waiting waiting waiting for him to move to the left lane in front of me at least, even held back to let him in, still doing 20 something ish. It was almost like he was egging me on to do something with the examiner watching.

Then for some reason I just got an impulse and I hammered it down my lane Twisted Evil past the two cars in the right hand lane, God they were so slow (maybe it was me misjudging).
I just felt like he was going to fail me for doing 20 ish it felt stupid waiting, but I ended up dooming myself because of that snail prick.
I've genuinely never had that situation in my car test or car lessons and I didn't know what else to do (should have been patient and hold back he said in feedback when back at test centre)

I was so confused when I checked my mirrors and the examiner was literally almost a mile back on his bright green police lookalike BMW bike still behind that white fiat, but a few seconds later it hit me that it must have been game over because of that move.

Rebooked it for almost exactly 10 days from now it's all good. Laughing
We'll pass together BRUN it's cool Very Happy
My confidence is up though, that was my only fault he said and I was a bag of nerves at the start but I definitely won't be now that I know I am mostly decent.

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 08:17 - 22 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found something similar in my last lesson actually, sometimes you just dont know what the right thing to do is because of nerves etc, wipes your memory and your sat there on the bike like a dithering idiot, when other times, without the pressure, you would have been fine, I blocked a junction on my last lesson, instructor pulled me on it and i thought wtf, why have i done that

If that is the only thing he pulled you up on, then yea id be very happy with that, put it down to experience and now you know 100% you have the ability to pass

Im expecting to be nervous for mine too, not booked yet but wont be far off, nerves hit me mid Mod1, twice lol, but the 2nd time I managed to control it better and get on with it, first time I thought I was having a heart attack

spongefinger
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:17 - 22 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cookiemonster14 wrote:
BRUN wrote:
@Cookiemonster14

how did it go

Failed. Crying or Very sad
Dangerous Undertake.
I honestly don't know what came over me Sad . It's like I forgot where I was.
The road became 70mph after a roundabout. Was a right turn at the roundabout did a lovely lifesaver to the left before exit. The usual observations before entering the roundabout

Until... there was a white (fiat I think) in the right hand lane just after our exit. I was waiting for him to speed up, waiting patiently. Waiting waiting waiting for him to move to the left lane in front of me at least, even held back to let him in, still doing 20 something ish. It was almost like he was egging me on to do something with the examiner watching.

Then for some reason I just got an impulse and I hammered it down my lane Twisted Evil past the two cars in the right hand lane, God they were so slow (maybe it was me misjudging).
I just felt like he was going to fail me for doing 20 ish it felt stupid waiting, but I ended up dooming myself because of that snail prick.
I've genuinely never had that situation in my car test or car lessons and I didn't know what else to do (should have been patient and hold back he said in feedback when back at test centre)

I was so confused when I checked my mirrors and the examiner was literally almost a mile back on his bright green police lookalike BMW bike still behind that white fiat, but a few seconds later it hit me that it must have been game over because of that move.

Rebooked it for almost exactly 10 days from now it's all good. Laughing
We'll pass together BRUN it's cool Very Happy
My confidence is up though, that was my only fault he said and I was a bag of nerves at the start but I definitely won't be now that I know I am mostly decent.

Sorry to hear that. I had a mod 2 lesson last week went to test town for 3 hours doing routes and a couple of mock tests. It's strange I did things that made my instructor get annoyed with me that I never usually do when I've ridden in lessons before. Twice I swan necked on left hand turn never done that before and at one point he was screaming at me because we were going through a school zone with lights but they were not flashing and I was doing 18 mph " why the hell are you going so slow speed up NOW !!" . We had a laugh about it when we got back but he said you'd be really annoyed if you failed on something stupid when I know there no reason you shouldn't pass.

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:22 - 22 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea mine was a mod2 prep lesson too and i felt under more pressure than normal which led to some daft mistakes

Cookiemonster...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 00:32 - 18 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRUN wrote:
yea mine was a mod2 prep lesson too and i felt under more pressure than normal which led to some daft mistakes

Nailed it today. Very Happy

How did yours go?

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:44 - 18 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations!

Bike shopping next?

Cookiemonster...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:22 - 19 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

House Shopping first. I need to find an abode with a good place to put it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 283 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1