Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Yamaha YBR 125 - Instant stall after replacing clutch plates

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Anthonyyb
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:17 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Yamaha YBR 125 - Instant stall after replacing clutch plates Reply with quote

Hi, I was getting a lot of slip on my YBR 125 so I had a look at my oil and clutch plates. They were pretty bad and the oil didn't look like it had been changed in ages... I only recently bought the bike.

I ordered the new plates and they are an identical fit. Removed the casing, the clutch basket, popped in the new plate, then metal plate, and so on (4 plates + 3 metal plates between each). Tightened the basket back down with the 4 springs until they were snug. Put the casing back on, starter motor and kick-start.

Just put new oil in. When I start in neutral all sounds fine, as soon as I shift into first with the clutch lever fully in it stalls quite badly and I go flying forward.

I didn't play with the clutch cable or adjustment, do you think it could be this? Or maybe I've tightened the basket too much which means it won't release even when the lever is pulled?

Any thoughts on what to check would be appreciated. I'd prefer to try things outside of the casing first as I don't want to waste the oil I just put in by opening it up again Sad

Thanks

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:43 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you soak the plates in oil before fitting or just lob 'em in dry? People have various opinions on this point...

It sounds like the clutch isn't disengaging when you pull the lever. Quick test you might try without the engine running is to lob it in gear and try rocking the bike back and forth. Obviously the back wheel will lock up but if you pull the level does anything happen - slightly less resistance?

If the lever does nothing effectively you'll probably have to take the clutch apart again and see if there's something you've missed.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:57 - 20 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Did you soak the plates in oil before fitting or just lob 'em in dry? People have various opinions on this point...

They do indeed but why confuse the guy when it has no bearing on his problem whatsoever?

Anthony, presuming that you have not assembled it wrong it's likely that fitting a new clutch has increased the stack height and added clearance to the pushrod gap which means that pulling the lever isn't pushing the plates apart enough. If you remove the cover you'll find a screw and locknut in the middle of the clutch pressure plate. Loosen the nut wind the middle screw in until you feel it touch the pushrod. Back it off about 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn (the manual will tell you the proper amount but at least some clearance is required) and tighten the nut. Now try the lever before re-fitting the cover.

BY the way looking at the parts diagram it seems that the design is such that as the clutch wears the clearance will disappear. It's quite possible that this was the cause of your slipping and that your clutch onle needed some adjustment in the firt place, rather than replacement.

Let us know how you get on.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:01 - 20 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all probability, the oil looked so bad because it had a lot of burnt clutch plate material floating around in it. It's a good thing you changed it. As for your clutch, here are a few thoughts:

It is not likely that overtightened pressure plate bolts are preventing the clutch from releasing if the other parts are correct; the bolts bear against the springs, not the pressure plate directly.

Did you replace the metal plates as well as the friction plates? Old metal plates could be warped from heat, affecting the thickness of the clutch pack. Discoloration is a sign of overheat.

Are the springs correct? The previous owner might have swapped the clutch springs in a misguided attempt to correct a slipping clutch. Wrong springs can bind on assembly, preventing the fresh clutch pack from releasing (unlikely, but possible). Likewise, the clutch could have bound up on assembly if you were inattentive, or did not tighten the assembly evenly as it went together.

Also, problems with the push lever assembly, bellcrank, or push rod might not be allowing proper action of the push rod against the pressure plate.

Anthonyyb
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:09 - 20 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies, you responded a lot sooner than I thought anyone would!

Easy-X wrote:

It sounds like the clutch isn't disengaging when you pull the lever. Quick test you might try without the engine running is to lob it in gear and try rocking the bike back and forth. Obviously the back wheel will lock up but if you pull the level does anything happen - slightly less resistance?

If the lever does nothing effectively you'll probably have to take the clutch apart again and see if there's something you've missed.

Yes I soaked them for about 18 hours (I had read it should be 24 but wanted to start while there was a gap in the rain so did it early).

I will give it a go at rolling in gear while the engine is off as that requires little effort to test. I won't force it in case I break something else!

Pete. wrote:
Anthony, presuming that you have not assembled it wrong it's likely that fitting a new clutch has increased the stack height and added clearance to the pushrod gap which means that pulling the lever isn't pushing the plates apart enough. If you remove the cover you'll find a screw and locknut in the middle of the clutch pressure plate. Loosen the nut wind the middle screw in until you feel it touch the pushrod. Back it off about 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn (the manual will tell you the proper amount but at least some clearance is required) and tighten the nut. Now try the lever before re-fitting the cover.

BY the way looking at the parts diagram it seems that the design is such that as the clutch wears the clearance will disappear. It's quite possible that this was the cause of your slipping and that your clutch onle needed some adjustment in the firt place, rather than replacement.

I had tried to do a search on how to adjust the 'pushrod' (also not knowing that was what it was called yesterday as this is my first manual bike... I've had a few scooters before but never really did any engine work apart from oil/filters/belt) the clearance was something that entered my mind when I was looking at the difference between the old and new plates but I wasn't sure I needed to adjust something or if the springs would do that for me. I think this is probably the issue and I will just have to put some fresh oil in again after taking a look.

That also makes a lot of sense with adjusting it as they wear as the spacing becomes greater... It was fairly cheap and no harm in me getting new plates but it is good to know that on each service I should check the spacing to reduce the slip.

jeffyjeff wrote:
It is not likely that overtightened pressure plate bolts are preventing the clutch from releasing if the other parts are correct; the bolts bear against the springs, not the pressure plate directly.

Did you replace the metal plates as well as the friction plates? Old metal plates could be warped from heat, affecting the thickness of the clutch pack. Discoloration is a sign of overheat.

Are the springs correct? The previous owner might have swapped the clutch springs in a misguided attempt to correct a slipping clutch. Wrong springs can bind on assembly, preventing the fresh clutch pack from releasing (unlikely, but possible). Likewise, the clutch could have bound up on assembly if you were inattentive, or did not tighten the assembly evenly as it went together.

Also, problems with the push lever assembly, bellcrank, or push rod might not be allowing proper action of the push rod against the pressure plate.

I only replaced the friction plates, I had seen a video showing that the if the metal plates look fairly good you can just clean them a bit to get slimy oil off and they should be ok. These didn't look too bad actually compared to the rest.

I will try to look at each component in detail when I open it up again to see if anything doesn't look as per the manual i.e. springs, the length of the 4 bolts that hold the springs in etc.

Just to note on thoughts that it might be another problem - the bike was running fairly smoothly for the week or so that I have had it bar the clutch slip so I think it is likely only something connected to me taking it apart and the bits that I removed... I'm thinking it is the pushrod now and then I guess I will need to adjust the clutch lever as well. I will wait for the wind and rain to die down a bit to prevent crap blowing into the casing!

I did take some pictures as I was re-assembling so when I work out how to attach those I will. You will probably spot that there is some sort of chewed up washer behind the pushrod which it was like before and didn't cause any issues, might be worth me ordering a replacement before I open it up again though?

Thanks!

Edit: I think I've attached the pic now, this is 3 friction plates and 3 metal plates, just before the final friction plate went on the end.

Do you know if it is easy to replace and adjust that washer in the middle myself or best to leave it if its not causing any harm?

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:54 - 20 May 2021    Post subject: T Reply with quote

You have a manual, but check on CMSNL exploded views just to be sure.

Someone has been in there before you and taken the clutch off at least....that nut locking tab was not bent like that in the factory. It's there to stop the clutch nut from coming off, is the nut tight, and any existence to say the engine has been apart further....you got a new clutch cover gasket, yes ?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:00 - 20 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave the tab washer along it's doing it's job now. If you have to work on it again order a new one.

BTW the pushrod gap does not open up as the plates wear it gets smaller until the pushrod is eventually touching the release bearing all the time and that's what makes your clutch slip.

So many people fail to grasp the fundamentals of adjusting cable clutches. I've posted it here many times but once more won't hurt.

There are usually two things to adjust on a cable clutch - the pushrod clearance and the cable free-play (some cable clutch bikes don't have a pushrod and those mostly only have cable adjustment). Sometimes adjusting the cable free-play can have the effect of adjusting the clearance but it's not the proper way to do it.

First you loosen the cable adjusters. Usually this means screwing in the threaded adjuster at either the engine end or the lever end so that there's a lot of slack in the lever.

Next you adjust the pushrod clearance. This varies from bike to bike - on your bike it's the adjuster under the clutch cover, on other bikes it can be the other end (a Bandit for instance has the screw and locknut under a rubber grommet in the sprocket cover). Once you have adjusted the pushrod you then go and set the cable free-play by winding the cable adjuster back out until you are happy with the lever action. You MUST have some free play and it gets less when you turn the bars full lock so check that you're not losing all your slack when you turn full lock both ways.

After that you just make sure the locknuts are tight and you're all set.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:03 - 20 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Place the steel plates on a flat surface and inspect for warpage. A piece of plate glass and a feeler gauge are standard tools to use in gauging the amount of warpage.

Clutch cable adjustment: you want some free play at the lever. Insufficient free play and the clutch slips. Too much free play and the clutch won't fully disengage. The amount of free play that could cause your problem would be obvious. The lever would move some distance through it's arc before you feel the cable take up slack. You should feel some resistance when you pull the clutch lever, and the lever should return outward under spring force (from the clutch springs). If that's not happening, something is wrong.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:18 - 20 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brand new clutch. Why would the plates be warped?

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:03 - 20 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Brand new clutch. Why would the plates be warped?

He said he only replaced the friction plates.

Anthonyyb
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:36 - 23 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all - I managed to get a chance to look at it again Saturday morning and I'm happy to say that it is now fixed!

I followed your instructions Pete (along with looking around to see YBR specific videos and advice).

Pete. wrote:

Pete. wrote:
First you loosen the cable adjusters. Usually this means screwing in the threaded adjuster at either the engine end or the lever end so that there's a lot of slack in the lever.

Next you adjust the pushrod clearance. This varies from bike to bike - on your bike it's the adjuster under the clutch cover, on other bikes it can be the other end (a Bandit for instance has the screw and locknut under a rubber grommet in the sprocket cover). Once you have adjusted the pushrod you then go and set the cable free-play by winding the cable adjuster back out until you are happy with the lever action. You MUST have some free play and it gets less when you turn the bars full lock so check that you're not losing all your slack when you turn full lock both ways.

After that you just make sure the locknuts are tight and you're all set.

It is soo different now I can actually move off from stationary whereas before I had to be so gentle with the revs that I couldn't really pickup any speed before shifting up. I feel a lot safer and I've just done about 80 miles around London today to really get a feel that everything is ok.

One negative from the whole thing is that while stationary I can't go from 1st to neutral. With enough pressure I can nudge it to second and then down into neutral, maybe this means I didn't adjust it enough and it is still slightly in contact. While riding it is completely fine though. It doesn't really bother me as I only use neutral to park.

Thanks for all your suggestions and help everyone!

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:36 - 23 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done. Not being able to select neutral from 1st is a common fault. You might be able to improve it a bit by re-adjusting the pushrod for less clearance or even reducing the cable free-play, but it could equally be a sign of warped steel plates or it might even be the wrong grade of oil. My guess is that it will repidly improve.

You could get into the habit of snicking it into neutral from second as you approach a stop. You shouldn't need to find neutral from first that often anyway.

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 336 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1