Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:43 - 15 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

swampy wrote:
Nexus Icon wrote:
Take a drive along the Eastern Road with the windows down at low tide. I dare you.

I live 250 yds away from Hilsea creek, I am no stranger to the smell of the sea Wink But thats what it is, the sea. Its like living in the country and getting used to it smelling like cow shit. To be fair, its not even that often that you get any smell at all.

I've also lived in suburbs outside Portsmouth in Waterlooville, Denmead - places like that. These are pretty analogous to Hedge End or Fareham

Shit is still shit, no matter how used to smelling it you become.
Move further West and all you'll get is the 'smell' of salt

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 21:08 - 16 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

swampy wrote:
I am no stranger to the smell of the sea Wink But that's what it is, the sea.

It's not technically a sea though, is it. Its the Channel. A shipping channel at that. Mr. Green Thumbs Up

swampy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:50 - 17 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:
swampy wrote:
I am no stranger to the smell of the sea Wink But that's what it is, the sea.

It's not technically a sea though, is it. Its the Channel. A shipping channel at that. Mr. Green Thumbs Up

Its go the sea at both ends and i made out of sea. Its a sea to me Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:32 - 17 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

swampy wrote:
Clanger wrote:

Its go the sea at both ends and i made out of sea. Its a sea to me Wink

What sort of sentence is that? Lol. You're just playing up to the Pompey stereotype there. Wink

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 00:21 - 22 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've lived in Bournemouth > Southampton > Portsmouth.

All have their good and bad qualities. Mostly bad.

Right now I live in the outskirts of Pompey, best of both worlds, I can go for a ride and be in the countryside in 10 mins and also be in the city centre in ten minutes.

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 24 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...

Southampton seemed ok.

Reminded me of Plymouth, in that it was windy as hell, just a bit more shit. My accent didn't stand out, which is a small plus.

Housing is very expensive (60%+ more expensive than tut North) though. I prefer to live outside of cities and commute in, any suggestions of where to avoid housing wise?

What is fareham like?

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 24 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fareham is big enough to have both nice and rough areas. Personally speaking, I'd aim for Hedge End, Botley, the Northern side of Eastleigh (Allbrook, Boyatt Wood), Totton, Chandler's Ford, Basset, Chilworth, Romsey, Fair Oak, Bishopstoke, Bursledon, Bishops Waltham, Durley or Wickham and stay away from Shirley, Thornhill, Forest Hills, Bitterne, Northam, St Denys, Portswood, Swaythling, Weston, Woolston or Redbridge.

I'm certain there are other suburbs but memory fails me right now.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 24 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nexus Icon wrote:
Fareham is big enough to have both nice and rough areas. Personally speaking, I'd aim for Hedge End, Botley, the Northern side of Eastleigh (Allbrook, Boyatt Wood), Totton, Chandler's Ford, Basset, Chilworth, Romsey, Fair Oak, Bishopstoke, Bursledon, Bishops Waltham, Durley or Wickham and stay away from Shirley, Thornhill, Forest Hills, Bitterne, Northam, St Denys, Portswood, Swaythling, Weston, Woolston or Redbridge.

I'm certain there are other suburbs but memory fails me right now.

That's about spot on. Thumbs Up

I'm local if you want me to scout anywhere out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:58 - 24 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like "interesting" people visiting once a year, Wickham's a winner. Shocked

https://www.itv.com/news/meridian/update/2013-05-20/man-shot-in-head-at-wickham-horse-fair/

Wickham does seem nice the rest of the year though. Wink

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 22:34 - 09 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrDonnyBrago wrote:
What is Fareham like?

My mate lives in Fareham, about 10 mins walk from city centre. Its a decent enough area. I've never had any issues leaving my bike on her driveway overnight. Her daughter lived in an area considered as a bit 'rough' - but I don't think it's as bad as inner city areas myself.

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:52 - 09 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived there last year whilst on a training course for 6 months, it's pretty grim.

Shirley in particular, where I was forced to live... the number of charity shops and wheelchair/mobility shops on the high street said it all really.

Had my bike cover lifted and chain fiddled with on three occasions, although I think they were recce runs to see what kind of security I had, rather than attempts to steal it.

Having said that, there are some good things about it.

In particular the A35 from Southampton, through the New Forest out to Christchurch and Bournemouth is great for a run on the bike. I used to start out going once or twice a week if it was nice n sunny, ended up going 4 times a week or more if it was merely dry. Great open road for a blast, easy to ride hard and fast, brilliant fun for clearing the cobwebs. Could do Shirley to Christchurch, back to Lyndhurst and round, up to Christchurch again and then back to Shirley, took an hour and a half, including filling up the bike and getting it out/putting away.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 7 years, 75 days between these two posts...
akibahmed98 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:13 - 22 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

akibahmed98 wrote:
Hi mate
My experience hasn't been the best in Southampton. I have lived here since my childhood and i can honestly say, my best days were those when pandemic first started and i didn't have to leave the house to see the god awful city. The whole city is infested with smackheads and alcoholics. Dont get me wrong, some of the residents are ok. For example i remember briefly 4 years ago i met a recovering gambling addict that goes by the name of nafzal nahmed. apart from the fact, he identified as a toaster and advocates equality for nazis, he seemed like a stand up guy.
Anyways Southhampton is a shithole and should be called bad-mouth hampton, because almost everyones breath stinks of shit.
Nowonder the titanic committed suicide after it left from Southhampton

Anyways don't let me put you off. all the best with your endeavours.

Congratulations on posting on a thread 7 years after any response would have been useful.

Welcome to my enemy list.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:25 - 22 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably lives in Portsmouth. they can be quite childish and bitter out that way Rolling Eyes

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:19 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where all the matelots be at? Southampton or Portsmouth?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:47 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

I had to Google that. Rolling Eyes

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:33 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

Portsmouth. best not ask why we call them skates down here Shocked
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 333 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2