Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Water pump o-ring leaking. Sealant?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

hornet_guy
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:24 - 21 May 2021    Post subject: Water pump o-ring leaking. Sealant? Reply with quote

Hello,

I replaced the water pump o-ring 1 year ago and now is starting to leak again (just drops for now). Assuming the o-ring is relatively new, I am considering 2 options:
1 - Cleaning the area and reinstalling the o-ring adding a good amount of gasket sealant around.
2 - Using sealant alone without the o-ring.

I know it shouldn't leak with the o-ring only as it was designed like that, but this is my case, and I want to ensure this doesn't happen again.

What do you think? What would you do?

Thanks

https://i.imgur.com/E8P2DIu.png

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:02 - 21 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would want do it do it by the book, drain coolant, strip and clean completely, new o ring, torque correctly and let it do its job.

Are the bolts done up to spec? was there corrosion when you pulled it before?

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:07 - 22 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Tdibs. All that sealant can guarantee is frustration and foul language from the person that repairs the leak next time around, and that could be you. Get a new OE o-ring, clean the mating surfaces and the o-ring groove, tighten the cover to specification in steps. Make sure the leak is not coming from the drain bolt; your leak might be solved with a new copper washer.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:08 - 22 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tdibs wrote:
I would want do it do it by the book, drain coolant, strip and clean completely, new o ring, torque correctly and let it do its job.

Are the bolts done up to spec? was there corrosion when you pulled it before?

I agree, also have a good look at the old O-ring for marks.
Also any pressure problems or leaks.

hornet_guy
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:54 - 22 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the answers.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:17 - 22 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

O-rings need no sealant. Causes of them not sealing are shrinkage, damage, uneven clamping and a poor sealing face.

Since you replaced it a year ago it won't be shrinkage. Unlikely to be damage too so that leaves uneven clamping and had sealing face.

Remove the cover and inspect the face. If it has any corrosion depsosits or surface damage you'll have to clean it up. A soft wire brush will do a good job on aluminium (but a hard one will score it).
If the face that the o-ring seals onto (and the groove it sits in is clean) then it might be that the cover is warped. This might be just one of those things or it could be that it's bee over-tightened or tightened up without being properly cleaned.

Put up a photo if you're not sure. Show the o-ring, the groove and the face it seals onto.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hornet_guy
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:41 - 22 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
O-rings need no sealant. Causes of them not sealing are shrinkage, damage, uneven clamping and a poor sealing face.

Since you replaced it a year ago it won't be shrinkage. Unlikely to be damage too so that leaves uneven clamping and had sealing face.

Remove the cover and inspect the face. If it has any corrosion depsosits or surface damage you'll have to clean it up. A soft wire brush will do a good job on aluminium (but a hard one will score it).
If the face that the o-ring seals onto (and the groove it sits in is clean) then it might be that the cover is warped. This might be just one of those things or it could be that it's bee over-tightened or tightened up without being properly cleaned.

Put up a photo if you're not sure. Show the o-ring, the groove and the face it seals onto.

Thank you for your answer. I abandoned the idea of the sealant for now. Will inspect the surfaces. If I understood correctly, do you mean over-tightening can cause leaks due to the o ring being squashed too much?

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:07 - 22 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would check the old o-ring for marks after noting the position it came out. Also without any o-ring join the surfaces together by hand and check for rocking or distortion.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:09 - 23 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

hornet_guy wrote:
Pete. wrote:

Thank you for your answer. I abandoned the idea of the sealant for now. Will inspect the surfaces. If I understood correctly, do you mean over-tightening can cause leaks due to the o ring being squashed too much?

No I mean over-tightening can distort the aluminium housing.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:42 - 23 May 2021    Post subject: T Reply with quote

Post a picture to show o ring seating areas for possible corrosion/pitting etc.
Also post a picture of the o ring to show a fault, both sides.

4 bolts hold the cover on and compress the o ring, do any of those bolts bottom out before providing enough clamping force ?

Measure, and pictures, is cover warped etc...

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:07 - 23 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally speaking o-ring sealed faced always touch. The o-ring groove is sized so that when the mating face is touching the top of the groove the o-ring is properly compressed, it's all in the spec for making o-ring grooves. Foreign matter in the gap (often aluminium oxide on bikes especially water pumps and more especially where the coolant has been replaces with just water) can hold the faces apart and cause the bolt lugs to bend, then the faces will nevr touch.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:30 - 23 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

New O-ring was possibly nipped on assembly.

Maybe it's the water pump Mechanical Seal is leaking.
The water pump should have a tell-tale (weep) hole near it's lower area.
This allows coolant that leaks past the mechanical seal to drip out the pump housing rather than pass through into the oil side. Shocked

If it has a seal and the sealing areas are sound then no sealant is required.
Some compounds can harm the seal material too so that should be considered.
Seals can break up or set hard like concrete.

All that should be applied is a lubricant. Either clean engine oil or some mild soap.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 22:46 - 26 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest, what coolant are you using?

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:19 - 27 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is on a Hornet as your username might suggest, is it definietly leaking from the o-ring, or is it coming from the weep hole?

If it is the weep hole, then its a new complete water pump you need

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:18 - 27 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP hasn't posted back so either:

Sold bike.
Dieded.
Power Flounced.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 333 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1