Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Decent Locations

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:27 - 28 May 2021    Post subject: Decent Locations Reply with quote

So since Scotland sucks for finding legal places to ride off road I'm thinking about venturing south to get some riding in. I'm looking for some location tips. Wales maybe?

I'll be riding a modded CRF250L with some luggage and camping gear, basically set up as a light adv bike so I'm looking for something suitable for this. Ideally some routes of length to explore rather than short but gnarly. I'll be looking to spend a few days moving around, so thinking TET type stuff.

Thoughts?

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:33 - 29 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I would just hook up on the TET to be honest. Ive only done the peak district sections myself, but the impression I get north England is the better area for wilderness, peaks are pretty congested with walkers, Wales and the tetty section seem great but with the most technical lanes.

How do you find the 250L, after doing some lanes on the dr... 250L seems about the perfect weight/power for most of the harder stuff.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:47 - 29 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drumclog pay and play should be a good place to visit.

https://qbtdrumclogoffroadcentre.co.uk/

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:02 - 29 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Drumclog pay and play should be a good place to visit.

https://qbtdrumclogoffroadcentre.co.uk/

I live about 15 mins away from Drumclog, it's a great enduro site. I like getting away and camping for a few days though, so looking for something further away.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:24 - 29 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tdibs wrote:
Yeah I would just hook up on the TET to be honest. Ive only done the peak district sections myself, but the impression I get north England is the better area for wilderness, peaks are pretty congested with walkers, Wales and the tetty section seem great but with the most technical lanes.

How do you find the 250L, after doing some lanes on the dr... 250L seems about the perfect weight/power for most of the harder stuff.

That's basically what I'm looking for, just trying to narrow down what areas will be the best option as my plan will be to ride down, camp and ride for a few days then head home.

I like the CRF, it's good on the road and off road it's more capable than I expected. It'll get through most stuff, just at a slower pace. Stock suspension is too soft and they're heavy at the front but I replaced the shock and uprated the fork springs, also added the Acerbis 12L tank. 1" bar risers make a big difference for standing, and I've got CR high bend bars on which I also prefer. Stock tyres are good on road and in the wet but dreadful in mud where the front readily washes out. I've put on Anakee Wilds, haven't ridden off road enough to evaluate them yet. A 13T front sprocket is worthwhile off road but I've stayed stock because I travel on it.

I'm not hugely experienced off road though, so it suits me. Feels lighter than it is compared to, e.g. a DRZ. It's strengths are as a light adv travel bike or as a road legal trail bike. For mostly gnarly off road stuff and little on road use I'd look elsewhere. Better than a DR... not sure as I've not ridden one but probably easier going unless you're an experienced rider. I fall off and get stuck a lot so happier having something light.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:25 - 29 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get onto your local definative maps and spend a day or two exploring. Some will be unpassable, some will be awesome.

That's how I found this one. No good for multi day but a cracking couiple of hours ride out (and dare I say, with a good spot for a sneaky wild camp at the end of it).

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3dgntLuZ4nBfMMYPoaM84gxMDVCyCx1X1KBOwyIgVdgzBP1OaT-WYhq1NyI9pT7pn0AQJQfzy0nvEyInrmEApHCdm811FDAPZbek3SYzy2ILKGb3ZiODfhDgS4WrbZaF3n6yMvUnqwvUHXAs3XQkClI=w1182-h886-no
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 304 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1