Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Sprint 955i won't turn over

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

slowside
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:01 - 29 May 2021    Post subject: Sprint 955i won't turn over Reply with quote

2000ish Triumph Sprint RS 955i

Bike has been stood for about 6 months.

When ignition set to on, there is power to the dash, the fuel pump audibly primes and there is a click from what I assume is the main relay.

When you press the starter button, nothing happens. Starter doesn't turn, not even the slightest hint that it is trying.

I've fitted a brand new battery, fully charged overnight.
Have checked for continuity on the clutch-safety switch.
Checked main fuses.
Rocked bike back and forwards in gear in case starter is sticky.

Battery reads 12.6 - 12.8 volts with ignition on. No voltage drop when starter button is pressed.

Could it be the starter solenoid? Not sure if the symptoms match that being the issue.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:30 - 29 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you pulled in the clutch?

slowside
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:44 - 29 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Yes. And checked the clutch safety switch for continuity.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:04 - 29 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowside wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Yes. And checked the clutch safety switch for continuity.

Neutral? Clutch in? Side stand? Kill switch?

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:07 - 29 May 2021    Post subject: T Reply with quote

Get an assistant to press the starter button when you say, whilst you feel the starter solenoid for the "klick", and go from there...

Report back with your finding...

Bad connection, bad solenoid....

You say no voltage drop across battery when button pressed and click heard...

With your meter, check to see if the motor side of the solenoid becomes live when button pressed and click heard ? I suspect not...

Solenoid click heard and felt ?

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 13:00 - 30 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The correct thing to do: Check the various interlock circuits (sidestand, clutch etc) that may stop it from starting. Get the multimeter out and see if you have a signal at the starter solenoid when the starter button is pressed in.

What I would do: Screwdrivers across the starter solenoid terminals to get it going. Let it idle for a bit and warm up, then take it for a short ride.

Chances are that something is a bit sticky after sitting for 6 months. Taking it for a ride will probably free it off. Heat, vibration and movement do wonders for that sort of thing.

slowside
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:22 - 30 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, frustrating morning spent.

The starter solenoid is not the issue. There is no low current 12v switching voltage across the solenoid when the starter button is pressed (clutch interlock bypassed for testing).

Jumping 12v into the low current input on the solenoid causes it to energise and in turn start the bike.

Working backwards I have found there is no 12v feed into the starter button switch itself, hence why nothing is happening on pushing it (the starter button directly feeds the solenoid when closed).

Factory manual says button is fed 12v from pin 5 on the factory alarm system.

Now, the bike has a Datatool alarm fitted that was bypassed by the previous owner (the bypass has always worked fine in my ownership).

None of the bypass wiring has gone open circuit that I can see, though there could be an internal failure in the alarm module. Unfortunately the plug pin-out doesn't match the one in the Triumph manual and I have no schematic for the alarm.

Think I'm going to have to pull the loom out enough that I can directly trace the starter button 12v feed back to whatever it connects to at the alarm module.

Thanks all for your input.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:13 - 30 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which datatool is it? I've bought kit from https://abacuscaralarms.co.uk before and they do plug and play replacement kits for datatool etc if it's the actual unit that's fubar'd.

Note: no affiliation whatsoever, just previous experience.

slowside
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:28 - 31 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
Which datatool is it? I've bought kit from https://abacuscaralarms.co.uk before and they do plug and play replacement kits for datatool etc if it's the actual unit that's fubar'd.

Note: no affiliation whatsoever, just previous experience.

It’s a Datatool Veto Evo according to the sticker. I’ve managed to fix it this morning. In order to bypass the alarm, pins 1+2 and 3+5 need to be jumpered. 1+2 were there but 3+5 were not. After sorting that the bike is now running. I can only assume something was prev bridging 3+5 and has fallen out as it was fine before. I’ve soldered the pins together on the alarm PCB so won’t be happening again.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 330 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1