Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First bike: Suzuki VanVan

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

acki
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:16 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: First bike: Suzuki VanVan Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm considering getting a Suzuki VanVan 125 as a first motorbike, after doing my cbt test. Just wondering if anyone has experience with this as a first bike, working towards a full license; and anything in particular I should look out for when getting a second-hand VanVan...?

Thanks!

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:22 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expensive for what they are. Slow even for what they are. But they're hip n cool, wind in yer flaps type of thing. Not particularly well finished, even for a 125 - Suzuki paint / chrome isn't as good as other Japanese manufacturers IMO. Rusty bits would be a primary concern.

No particular engine issues or dramas. Just look for proper servicing records - 125's that get worked hard should have regular oil changes and given it's only just over a litre of oil and half an hour tops, you'd hate to see an owner skimping on the basics.

Outside of that - consumables; tyres, chain and sprockets fork seals and the obvious woops I've been ridden by an 18 year old with dyspraxia crash damage.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:12 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Suzuki paint / chrome isn't as good as other Japanese manufacturers IMO

I've heard that the finish on VanVans is poor, even by Suzuki's standards.

acki
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:26 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: First bike: Suzuki VanVan Reply with quote

Thanks guys,

I'm also looking at AJS and Mash.
Not quite sure how they compare the the Suzuki...
Any thoughts?

J

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:59 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put 10k+ on a VanVan from new and it looked like new when I flogged it several years later. Or almost - the one part that had visible change was the exhaust and even that was only really a case of the black paint coming off. It wasn't rusty or corroded. But then, I didn't ride it in the rain - because I didn't have to.

I think if you're planning to commute on it, in all weathers, there are probably more durable bikes. Don't forget - the Suzuki's wheels are spoked - and they're not stainless steel spokes either. They *will* rust if you run it in rain, especially if it's winter and there's salt on the roads. This applies to most bikes with spokes though.

Also, the rear wheel on the Suzuki is a steel rim, whilst the front is aluminium. The rear tends to suffer a bit if it's not kept clean - paint lifting and bits of rust on the older, less well maintained bikes.

Personally I'd prefer a VanVan over the bikes you mentioned. But probably the most sensible option would be to spend half as much as the VanVan and buy a Honda CG125. As fun and interesting as the VanVan looks, the CG is surely where the smart cash is. It's likely to be a grand less.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:21 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Re: First bike: Suzuki VanVan Reply with quote

acki wrote:
Thanks guys,

Any thoughts?

J

I had a Jianshe built AJS Eco2 ... it wasn't too bad. But it did mean that I was a member of a few AJS groups, and the reliability and build quality of the 'Raptor' cruisers sounds pretty dreadful.

Not sure about the newer overpriced hipster-targeted Tempest / Cadwell etc - they have the Yamaha derived engine of the Jianshe, so they might be OK. Heard of quite a few being returned to dealers with minor niggles, but nothing major.

Mash looks like more hipster-bait to me, but I have no experience.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:27 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Re: First bike: Suzuki VanVan Reply with quote

acki wrote:
Thanks guys,

Any thoughts?

J

A lot depends on this:

acki wrote:
working towards a full license

And whether you're talking about a new or second hand proposition. You aren't going to want the 125 after you've experienced a 650 on your road to a full licence. So if you're planning on buying a brand new Chinese built 125 and expecting any sort of return on investment from it then I'd hastily caution you against it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

acki
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:57 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Re: First bike: Suzuki VanVan Reply with quote

arry wrote:

And whether you're talking about a new or second hand proposition.

I'm thinking of a second-hand one...

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:04 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any specific input on them other than what I've read. There's a guy on here that had a Mash 400 and raved about its quality / reliability. I guess if you got one second hand, didn't overpay for it and could find someone to take it off your hands easily enough afterwards then it's not a terrible proposition.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:10 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

that guy was pretty tedious

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:12 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Large seat but spoked wheels.....

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:15 - 26 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmoan wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORbseYAkzRM

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:51 - 26 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a vanvan for 2 years as my first bike, if you like the look, id highly recommend it to be honest.

Pros
- Low seat height, big comfy seat with plenty or room for a pillion or some luggage. Very easy going to just cruise about on.
- Luggage rack as standard.
- Big tyres and wide bars make it a bit heavier steering, you have to give it some input in tight roundabouts etc, but it never gets shaky or unbalanced.
- Go 'anywhere' appeal, it can do basic lanes, I loved exploring with mine, eats up poorly surfaced roads easy. Going up some green lanes on them is a good laugh.
- Reliable and easy to maintain. I cant recall what year it switched from carbs to injection, but there is not much to go wrong with them. Very easy to change the oil yourself. Parts are cheap and easy to get.
- Resale value, if you look after it, you will be able to sell a second hand one for roughly the same price you bought it in a year or two if you decide to go for A/A2.
- Good following with a very helpful owners forum, they used to do meets etc if that interests you.

Cons
- Higher price in the 125 market (built in japan if it means anything to you)
- Top speed is about 65 absolutely flat out, 55 on a steep uphill. (you mileage may vary based on weight etc) but its not the fasest 125, but not noticeably slower under top speeds. Only
- Finish can go bad IF you dont keep on top of it. Id rate the paintwork on the tank and panels, but fork legs, lower yoke and spokes etc, you will see some rust unless you rub it down with acf50 now and then. This is true for any bike really though. I cant recall anything going on mine, but I washed/sprayed it with acf regularly.

Last edited by Tdibs on 13:18 - 01 Jun 2021; edited 1 time in total

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:27 - 31 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Jmoan wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORbseYAkzRM

You had to be there, man......

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 31 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tdibs wrote:

Pros
- Higher price

You and I have very different ideas about what constitutes a "pro" Very Happy

jimster
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:34 - 13 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tdibs wrote:
- Top speed is about 65 absolutely flat out

"about" being a very key word for a 12bhp 125cc with relaxed tuning and balloon tyres... Smile

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:15 - 13 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs K had a van van for a year or so... cool looking and did the job. Engine is bombproof. If you're looking to progress there are better bikes for less money out there. If you want to look cool then just get whatever floats your boat. If you look after it it should be ok.

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:11 - 16 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my CBT on a Vanvan, I loved it and I still want one.

Very slow, but super cool and piece of cake to ride. The CBT one was an 04 model that had been used by the riding school for years and was still rock solid. This was 2 years ago so it was old then.

Now I’ve got my full licence is like a 200cc one for larks, but they’re not cheap for what they are.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 188 days between these two posts...
krishay.baxter This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:20 - 20 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HappygoluckyKeenAtlanticspadefish-size_restricted.gif

carbon90
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 08:32 - 22 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prawny wrote:
I did my CBT on a Vanvan, I loved it and I still want one.

Very slow, but super cool and piece of cake to ride. The CBT one was an 04 model that had been used by the riding school for years and was still rock solid. This was 2 years ago so it was old then.

Now I’ve got my full licence is like a 200cc one for larks, but they’re not cheap for what they are.

My uncle used to have a Vanvan and they enjoyed it as well.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:24 - 22 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheeres m9!!

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:09 - 23 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rented a Van Van when I was in between bikes after passing my CBT. I thought it was great although I hadn't really tried anything to compare it to. Short runs or posing around the city, great. Are you of the larger size? Van Van may be too small for you.

*Fuck sake old thread

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:27 - 23 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep - dumb f***ing bumping alert

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 31 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1