Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What's it called?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:49 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: What's it called? Reply with quote

Hi guys hoping someone can help here.

It's a workshop related question but about cars so this is the most appropriate section I could find.

So I'm at the end of my tether recently having to drill out number plate screws that have rusted solid on a number of the taxis on my fleet.

The taxi licence plates that we have to display on the rear are attached to the number plates themselves. The taxi plates have to be removed once a year and replaced with new ones, in order to do this the number plate has to come off as well.

Just recently I've been having murders with number plate screws being rusted solid, having to get the Dremel out and doing a hack job. Not ideal.

Can't use double sided tape as it needs to be removed once a year and I'd rather deal with machine screws so it's fairly agro-free to replace every year.

Drives me wild how car manufacturers cheap out on two little screws if they'd put stainless screws in this wouldn't be a problem!!!

I know I should use either stainless or plastic screws from now on but hindsight is a wonderful thing, the damage is done now and I'd like to repair the ones I've already had to hack off.

ANYWAY I digress... so rather than drilling new holes in the body work if possible I'd rather use the original hole (that has been drilled out) but obviously now there's no threaded nut welded to the bodywork to receive a machine screw. Does such a thing exist where you can insert a metric machine screw receiver that will lock in place so you can use a machine screw to screw into it? A good analogy would be similar to a rawl plug but for thin sheet metal and metric machine screws. Does such a thing exist? If so, what are they called so I can search for them on eBay?

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:58 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Rivnut would likely do what you want if the metal is thick enough for it to grip. A bazillion vids on youtube.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:59 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes! That's what it's called! Thank you. I just googled it. It's what I had in mind but didn't know what they were called. Cheers!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:02 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why, in the name of all things holy, aren't you using plastic boilts and nuts that are specifically for numberplates? They can't fucking rust!

You can even get them in white, black and yellow to match wherever the hole in the number plate is...

FFS.....

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:04 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laziness.

Just used what came with the cars. TBF I think they're galvanised or zinc coated or something but after 5 years and 200,000 miles eventually they start to corrode. Headache! Yes definitely should go round all the cabs replacing them with plastic or stainless screws. Especially as number plates aren't a permenant fixture for us and have to be removed periodically.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:06 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also heard them referred to as "nutserts" but that sounds like a search ste might be interested in Shocked

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:50 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL

I ordered some rubber rivnuts and also some jacknuts / anchornuts that expand as you wind the screw in. I'll offer them up together and see which gives the best solution.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:03 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

TravisBickle wrote:
LOL

I ordered some rubber rivnuts and also some jacknuts / anchornuts that expand as you wind the screw in. I'll offer them up together and see which gives the best solution.

I eagerly await next year's installment of 'how the fuck do I get this bolt out of this effing Rivnut' Laughing

Even more entertaining would be the addition 'why does galvanic action between my S/S bolts and aluminium plate wreck my plate'. Laughing

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:51 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread should be in Workshop.

OPs Karma has been marked appropriately.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:59 - 27 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blutack.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:39 - 31 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
This thread should be in Workshop.

OPs Karma has been marked appropriately.

It's not bike-related. If I'd posted it in the workshop section everyone would be telling me it belong somewhere else Shocked

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:40 - 31 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
Even more entertaining would be the addition 'why does galvanic action between my S/S bolts and aluminium plate wreck my plate'. Laughing

Aluminium plate?

They're both plastic Neutral

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 31 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

TravisBickle wrote:
mentalboy wrote:

Aluminium plate?

They're both plastic Neutral

Well that's good then, I'm sure you'll live happily ever after.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 302 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1