Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Old ADSL router as wireless access?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:16 - 30 May 2021    Post subject: Old ADSL router as wireless access? Reply with quote

Any day now fibre will finally be available locally, All good obviously but can I use my old router as a repeater or something.
It currently has three security cameras linked to it wirelessly and a homeplug extender through ethernet.
I'm wondering as a temporary measure I can continue to run that with a link to the (imaginary at this stage) fibre router.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:57 - 30 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone with Virgin Media already has this issue Smile The supplied wireless router is shite so anyone with any sense or technical need switches it to "modem mode" and fits a third-party wireless cable router.

As to re-using your old kit that depends on how flexible the firmware is. I've definitely seen old ADSL routers where you can nominate one of the 4 Ethernet ports on the back as a WAN port and effectively create a cable router. Failing that if you can run OpenWRT or dd-wrt you can do anything you like.

Make and model of the old kit?

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:38 - 30 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a Netgear DGN2200
The firmware is V1.0.0.57_7.0.57
I have seen some online comments about using a pirate firmware to unlock more features.
Until the fibre (only to cabinet mind) is up and running it seems rather too hypothetical to check what could work.

If the extender and IP cameras could still work on that older router somehow it might be a quicker solution than transferring them over as they have been up and running continually for about ten years and need some kind of chinglish software to arrange port forwarding and email alerts Laughing
It might be easier to get a couple of new ones.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:34 - 30 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My "old faithful" Netgear went down recently and my works (as we're all Zoom and code in your living room 'cos of Covid) sent me an Asus cable router and it was surprisingly easy to set up for port forwarding and the like, for a similar set of requirements as your own.

Just a note that, for the most part, the difference between a £40 router and a £140 router is how fast the WiFi works. If most of the essentials are running over Ethernet it's hardly worth splashing out the big dollar.

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:34 - 01 Jun 2021    Post subject: Re: Old ADSL router as wireless access? Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Any day now fibre will finally be available locally, All good obviously but can I use my old router as a repeater or something.
It currently has three security cameras linked to it wirelessly and a homeplug extender through ethernet.
I'm wondering as a temporary measure I can continue to run that with a link to the (imaginary at this stage) fibre router.

Normally disable DHCP, firewall and dont enter any sign in details,
This will have to be connected via ethernet to your new onem
You can still use it as a ethernet switcher,

Keep the SSID name and PW the same on this old router and make your new router another SSID name, then all your security will continue to go via this SSID/switcher.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 300 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1