Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Peugeot Vivacity 125 Power Issues

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

vivasheety125
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:40 - 02 Jun 2021    Post subject: Peugeot Vivacity 125 Power Issues Reply with quote

Hello all

I have a Peugeot Vivacity 125cc 2012 scooter which I'm having strange issues with. When i got it, it would not charge a battery at all. So i swapped out the stator and the regulator with used replacements.

I then get 13.2 - 13.3v with a meter and assumed this is normal (is it?) at the battery terminals and i took the bike out. 200 miles later and i could hear the starter motor was sounding rather laboured.. this got worse and worse till eventually all i got was a clicking noise and the clocks and lights would go out briefly and the back on again and when it did this the digital clock would reset the time.

I charged the battery and tried again and now 11 miles down the line its doing the same thing. The strange thing is, the lights will be bright and stay on fine but when you try to start it thats when the issue occurs and if you keep trying to start it without it turning over just doing the clicking thing the battery will eventually go flat and the lights go out.

Before i changed the stator and regulator it would turn over till it couldn't anymore like a normal flat battery does and slow down to a stop. Now it just clicks but the lights don't go dim if you don't touch the starter.

That said, while i was riding along tonight i could see the headlight brightening up and going dim as well as the clock lights dimming and brightening back up but then suddenly it all went fine and nothing was going dim?? This was the case till i got home but once i got home i tried to start it after turning it off and it just clicked again, dsh clock reset and everything like i explained earlier then the lights were fine...?

It's really confusing... is it not charging enough at 13.3v? (while revving the bike a bit not idle) I have to admit i did buy a very cheap sealed battery which is rated much lower than the bikes proper replacement battery (4AH vs 6AH and about half the amps) so perhaps it's that?

I was thinking it might be the starter relay or perhaps even the starter motor but I don't see how that would cause discharging nor why it would only happen when the battery appears to be close to being flat. well, at least flat where the starter is concerned as the lights seem ok... plus also how would it cause the lights to dim as im riding along.. argh... so confusing.

Can anyone help? Any advice greatly appreciated as this is (sadly) my only form of transport and I'm not able to purchase another bike as 125 prices are stupid at the moment it seems.

Thank you and ride safe.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:29 - 02 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

~13.2V is okay but it's not great, ideally it should be ~14V with some revs. You say the replacements parts were used, I'd probably say they're a bit tired. Add to that a few lightly corroded connections and an underpowered battery I'd say your results are not totally unexpected Sad

Just to cut to a cheap & quick solution may I suggest getting a trickle charger?

vivasheety125
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:59 - 02 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
~13.2V is okay but it's not great, ideally it should be ~14V with some revs. You say the replacements parts were used, I'd probably say they're a bit tired. Add to that a few lightly corroded connections and an underpowered battery I'd say your results are not totally unexpected

I thought so... typical. Trouble is these bikes seem to have issues with this sort of thing, regulators sell instantly and you can never get them and i've only seen one stator which is the one i bought. You can't get new stock as they are basically dressed up chinese bikes with a Peugeot badge.

Would it improve if i use the up rated battery? Or will it just take longer to discharge with the same result ultimately as I'm debating if i should send the other battery back as it wasn't cheap so if it's not going to help it's pointless.

I think this throws the starter motor and relay idea out too as i went out this morning and the bike turned over a little (battery probably got some charge/cooled down over night) but then it went flat and ticked again so its definitely a charging issue.

Quote:
Just to cut to a cheap & quick solution may I suggest getting a trickle charger?

Could do but to be honest right now it's pulling off 11 miles before its flat so it's not really going to get me very far. I do actually have 2 of those cheap batteries so i could recharge them and cycle between the two but seems like a pain in the backside and I'm going to be limited to how far i can go still.

Really not sure what to do.

vivasheety125
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:40 - 02 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made some progress... I put a properly rated direct replacement battery on it and tested it. This time I'm seeing some improvements. Could it literally just have been the cheap under rated battery??

Idle:

https://i.postimg.cc/bYnm7Nn4/IMG-20210602-133821.jpg

Revving about qtr throttle:

https://i.postimg.cc/X7cQvHQ8/IMG-20210602-133916.jpg

Riding i get 14.71 flat and it doesn't move (i presume that's the regulator kicking in) when i tried revving it before i never got over 13.3v now it's 14v+

I see the idle voltage is still a little low but i do have the actual idle at a low setting it ticks over nicely but i could get away with a higher tick over so maybe i should do that to bump the voltage up while idling??

The manual for the battery states 13.7 at idle is optimal to avoid discharging. at the moment it is 13.2 - 13.4v. The instant you touch the throttle it climbs to over 14v so will it be ok now do you think?

Could the starter relay cause this issue do you think? I've got a new one so if it could cause this issue i may as well replace it. I'm confident at this point that the regular and stator are working ok so just exploring what other problems there could be.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:07 - 02 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds much better. Let's be honest here: scooters are just rag the thing on full throttle most of the time anyway, finesse is not an option Wink In other words don't expect it to do a good job of charging the battery on idle, nothing on these things is built over-spec from my experience.

Does this model have a kickstarter? Laughing

vivasheety125
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:29 - 02 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried a long 'ish ride and...

https://i.postimg.cc/q7yNCVcF/IMG-20210602-205517.jpg

That's with the bike idling too... It was charging earlier but now it not charging again. I only did 10 miles. I don't understand.

No, it doesn't i put a lever on it but theres no mechanism inside the case. also the lights are on constantly which drains the battery fast.

Driving me nuts, I can't understand this.

vivasheety125
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:57 - 03 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got up this morning, from a complete cold start (auto choke on)

https://i.postimg.cc/wx0sxPmg/IMG-20210603-095432.jpg

I can only assume the regulator is overheating? it's located in a stupid place stuck under a panel with zero air flow and directly under the exhaust and heat rises so... that's my guess.

And my solution?

https://i.postimg.cc/vHTx4zr9/IMG-20210603-104436.jpg

Rolling Eyes Laughing

Might work..? Worth a shot.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:58 - 03 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck on your next MOT....

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 11:44 - 03 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a failing reg/rec. The reliable fix is to fit a MOSFET one. Shunt-type reg/recs will fail over time, cheap ones fail faster.

vivasheety125
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:35 - 03 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Good luck on your next MOT....

No issue there, I've just put 12 months on it and if it is an issue next time around It's 2 panels off and put it back where it was.

Quote:
Looks like a failing reg/rec. The reliable fix is to fit a MOSFET one. Shunt-type reg/recs will fail over time, cheap ones fail faster.

I think so too as I've just been out for a ride and...

https://i.postimg.cc/6pWcp3tq/IMG-20210603-120607.jpg

It seems any time i go for a 5+ mile ride it dies on me. Little back story with this, I got the bike not charging the stator was replaced and also the reg, the regulator was used but known working. From what i can tell these Vivacity bikes suffer from bad regulators as it took me a month to find this used one as everyone breaking them had said the reg sold right away.

I've found another one on eBay but also a brand new one but it looks really cheap.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153750692529?hash=item23cc4162b1:g:5agAAOSw3vpd6Naj

Regarding a MOSFET regulator.. sounds good to me! But how would i find one for this bike? It's a 5 pin regulator.

Pin out:

https://i.postimg.cc/zBr6pNTg/s-l1600.jpg

The engine is a GY6 125 engine. What would i need to order?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:55 - 03 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are usually 5 pin. 3 yellow wires in. 2 out of
Indeterminate colour.

vivasheety125
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:49 - 03 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has almost a rainbows worth of wires Laughing

https://i.postimg.cc/SNV2W0n1/IMG-20210603-134512.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/vZB1hP9Y/IMG-20210603-134526.jpg

God knows what is doing what there. Any ideas?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:34 - 03 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

have a look at your stator. There should be 3 wires coming out.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 15:26 - 03 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

From memory, 3 wires from the stator provide AC power to the reg/rec. Two wires out of the reg/rec provide DC12v, positive and earth. Look at your stator and wiring diagram to work which one goes where.

Look on ebay and do some googling to find a MOSFET. I think some of the Yamaha MT range have them as standard, but it's been a few years since I fitted one. Any 5 wire MOSFET reg/rec will do, but you will have to get/make an adaptor harness to make it work your existing plug.

None of this is difficult electronics, just getting wires into holes.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 328 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1