Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

zip-up hoodless top?? for summer

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:25 - 04 Jun 2021    Post subject: zip-up hoodless top?? for summer Reply with quote

Eh up all -

What I need: a zip-up top WITHOUT a hood, and with left and right zipped pockets. And ideally without a high roll up style collar. Tops without hoods are hard to find, it seems.

I've got one of these in XL that I wear under the bike jacket for most of the year:

https://img.cdn.mountainwarehouse.com/product/021882/021882_kha_bernard_windproof_fleece_men_aw19_01.jpg?w=500

https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/mens/fleece/mens-fleece-jackets/bernard-windproof-fleece-p11604.aspx/khaki/

These are honestly fantastic fleeces - zip up pockets, amazingly warm with some sort of three layer mesh / insulation padding / outer fleece design. Couldn't be without it.

But for summer it's absolutely horrendous.

I need a single layer zip-up top with zipped pockets that's not too thick material at that either. Closest I can find is something like this Craghoppers one:

https://media.craghoppers.com/catalog/product/cache/c687aa7517cf01e65c009f6943c2b1e9/C/M/CMA1270_800_01_bynder_defined_type_product_01_1612766272.jpg

Looks fine except it's got one of those higher up roll collar type things, and they piss me off because they can push up against your lid (even when they're not zipped all the way up), and sometimes make turning your neck all the way left or all the way right quite difficult.

What do you lot wear under your bike jacket when it gets warmer? I've just had a t-shirt this week, but in the evenings at around 200m above sea level that's sometimes not enough. A zip up fleece doobrey would be good, I think - but something light and with okay pockets for wallet etc.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:48 - 04 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about a gilet? the types country folk/anglers wear have lots of pockets on them too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:28 - 04 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah - that's not a bad shout

cheers

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:30 - 04 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try looking in outdoor clothing suppliers like Cotswold etc. Some of the stuff is a bit pricey, but usually good quality brands that last a while. Even GoOutddoors has some not bad stuff.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:37 - 04 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I sometimes use is a Pertex windproof pull-on top. It doesn't have pockets, is sold for activities like running and cycling, but I often find it cuts enough of the wind from a cooling summer evening to keep me at a comfortable temperature. Ultra-light, breathable, packs down to nothing. No collar to speak of. Also makes for a good extra layer in winter as it adds no bulk.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:27 - 04 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a zip up fleece, and I think I just searched for 'zip up fleece' or similar.

Rockburner
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:32 - 04 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berghaus used to do a 'jacket-liner' fleece which was very thin, but pretty warm (and obviously had tags to fix it into a jacket), I still have one and it's excellent.

Not sure they still do it, but they do seem to do quite a range of fleeces, so worth a look there.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:01 - 04 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tube neck on the Mountain Warehouse fleece and the Craghoppers one don’t look very different.

Why do you want pockets under a bike jacket, won’t that have more accessible pockets?

I carry an Icebreaker Mens 175 Everyday Long Sleeve Crewe Top which is very thin, packs down well but is surprisingly warm.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 319 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1