which zzr 6 or 1100?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:29 - 20 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:

It has the same tokico 4 pots on the front as the 6, and the same forks, suspect the same springs too ... Braking is a bit bleurgh, though with recently rebuilt calipers, mastercylinder and forks; the rear lifts. I use Standard pads and replace frequently, taking the opportunity to keep the calipers cleaned and greased.

Best mods I've made are a set of gixxer k1 six pots on the front and switching to stick coils from the old packs. The six pots take a bit of maintenance but with braided lines the stock master cylinder is fine and it transforms the stopping power, even two up with a full set of Krauser hard luggage she'll bury her nose and pull up hard.

Ignore the wavy discs, they were too cheap to refuse after I'd ridden off with the disc lock in and fucked up my EBC prolites Laughing

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:49 - 20 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarmacsurfer wrote:

Best mods I've made are a set of gixxer k1 six pots on the front and switching to stick coils from the old packs. The six pots take a bit of maintenance but with braided lines the stock master cylinder is fine and it transforms the stopping power, even two up with a full set of Krauser hard luggage she'll bury her nose and pull up hard.

Ignore the wavy discs, they were too cheap to refuse after I'd ridden off with the disc lock in and fucked up my EBC prolites Laughing

Exactly this. ^^^
Any prospective future buyers shouldn't even bother looking at one that hasn't been modded and if it's an earlier model it's an added bonus if the carbs have had their tops replaced for the flat-tops.
The 1100 chews through tyres like they're going out of fashion, it's fuel consumption is variable - 50mpg two's up with fully packed luggage set and riding like a sensible dude, 18mpg, solo, unladen and hogging the redline.
The rear shocker is shocking, it eats fork seals (and likes to stretch out the aluminium legs just for good measure), brakes seize up if you neglect them, carbs go out of balance for a pastime, it pays to keep on top of valve clearance checks and it chews up swing arm bearings.
It'll sound like a bag of nails until it's warm (or continually, if it fancies the cam chain adjuster as a mid-ride snack).
As per all Kwaks, don't leave anything loose on it or it'll vibrate off and never forget that if you open it up in first with an unaware pillion on the back they will probably decline future free rides, once they've picked the gravel out from between their shoulder blades. Laughing Embarassed

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:24 - 06 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 600E, it was brilliant as a first large bike, as soon as it was rolling it was balanced and happy, bit heavy shoving it around to get it in and out of the garden, so if you're not able to simply ride in and out of your parking I'd forget the 1100.

Mine came with the front brake 'upgrade' which after a couple of years ownership caused no end of issues including the pads wearing out in a wedge shape from top to bottom, I actually un-did the mod and was happy enough on refurbished factory standard brakes and semi-sintered pads.

I only got rid of it because it kept kicking back out of 2nd gear on roundabouts. These bikes are 90s legends and will have had some stick in their time. The cost of the gearbox re-build would have been about £600, the cost of it being off the road for that length of time and me getting to / from work without it would have been another £600.

Any ZZR you look at, try and accelerate swiftly from about 20mph in 2nd
if it kicks out of gear back into neutral then plan a gearbox re-build or walk away.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 296 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2