Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Talk to me about Ultrawide 5120x1440

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:34 - 06 Jun 2021    Post subject: Talk to me about Ultrawide 5120x1440 Reply with quote

After a number of years running 4 screens ....

1 1920x1080 'elcheapo' on the top
2 x 24" 2560x1440 Dell either side of a 40" Liyama PROLITE X4071UHSU-B140 4k

All of which run 60Hz max

I'm pondering chopping the lot out and getting just one 49" panel to replace the main span and keep one of the 24" Dell ones as the top screen.

System is Ryzen 1700x / RX6800 / 32gb ram running on SSD so it's quick enough to deal with newer screens / games.

Why?

I would like some desk space back and the gentle curve of the 49" would actually take up less space than the current setup requires.

But .....

This is a really handy way to multitask with the odd Fallout4 session thrown in. Fallout 4 is shit on graphics the higher up the resolution you go and is capped at 60fps max. Not even sure it'd be playable at 5120x1440 at any pleasant frame rate.

So if it's gaming for that game, from what i read there's little to gain by going for a 144Hz refresh rate.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=phillips+499p9h+49-inch+superwide+curved+monitor&crid=2LF9D50E4R6BV&sprefix=49%22+phill%2Caps%2C145&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_8 would in that case be fine.

My gut feeling is that uniform colour / less desktop footprint and maybe an increase in display quality from a newer display aside, i'm just chopping out older apples for very much more expensive oranges based on what i actually use this for. I'd end up splitting the screen up using software instead of just being able to snap screens around on physical screens.

Which if that isn't the case points me to

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Odyssey-Curved-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B0866C4BM7/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2C67ZKSWV09HW&dchild=1&keywords=odyssey+g9&qid=1623000662&sprefix=ody%2Caps%2C156&sr=8-1

Anyone used one of these large format screens to replace a triple or more set up who has some useful musings?

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 06 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you could use something like this:

https://www.digitaltigers.com/ultraview-desktop-manager.asp

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 06 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Microsoft do something called fancy zones and I've already got display fusion as the stock control in windows has always been useless.

It's whether the new screen is as useable as the current 4 that's my question.

And whether there's any real point going for a higher refresh rate.

The way I use the big 4k one is for 4 remote server session windows at a time etc. You can't tile that on a an ultrawide at 1440 anything. It'd be laid out left to right not on a grid.

As the screens are different sizes an eyefinity group doesn't help either.

A 49" with a 2160 resolution is mega money.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:11 - 07 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My monitor set up is somewhat... large.

I've got a 49 which is mounted above my other 2, it spans the length of them almost!

Its a Samsung lc49rg90ssuxen which means loads to people apparently Rolling Eyes It says 120hz, but its locked to 100 in Windows because its not needed. 100 makes things remarkably smoother in day to day stuff.

Below I have a gaming monitor, 31.5 inch Asus TUF and to the right I have a 34 UWQHD which handles my emails/teams/monitoring for work and browsers/inventory/videos/stream management/chats when im gaming.

My main usage for the 49 is a mix of monitoring, spreadsheets, chat windows... its a whole bag.

If my desk was bigger, I'd remove the 34 and use the 49 with my 31. Its not, so its wall mounted above and angled down. I feel its got plenty of spare space, I just liek things snapped to corners. You might find that having 1 large one is annoying, I did initially, but once you get used to winkey+tab, its far cleaner and easier to use.

Its hard to just say 'try one'

Also don't underestimate how much desk space a 49 curve will take up. The stand alone was gargantuan so the wall mount saved me some space, and my desk is massive (160cm x 90cm)

Its heavy too, unbelievably heavy Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:24 - 07 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ta for that ( was hoping you'd see this and have some input).

From what i read of this if i didn't have the number of screens I currently do then I'd probably find the move easier / easier to justify. But coming down from this many physical screens to just one large one might turn out to be a pain both physically and on the wallet.

I think the best thing to do is wait until my use requirements change or the big 40" one dies and that will drive a replacement. By that time there'll inevitably be more choice / lower prices

My other question is relating to pixel density / overall resolution vs number of screens. Does Windows actually care whether you have one honking 5120x1440 monitor or 4 'smaller' ones making up a bigger resolution.

I.e. if you could get one 8k screen would it be easier to drive off one output than 4 seperate screens making up the same resolution either by grouping or Eyefinity?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:36 - 07 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
My other question is relating to pixel density / overall resolution vs number of screens. Does Windows actually care whether you have one honking 5120x1440 monitor or 4 'smaller' ones making up a bigger resolution.

I.e. if you could get one 8k screen would it be easier to drive off one output than 4 seperate screens making up the same resolution either by grouping or Eyefinity?

Good question, I don't actually think Windows cares or gives a shit, if you got a lower res UW monitor, yeah, you lose a bit and its not as clear, but using the xxxx*1440 res is crisp.

Its more your GPU that is going to give a shit, mine will happily push up to 7680×4320 and supports 4. whether thats 4 at that resolution though Shocked

Personally, I like having 2+ monitors but I could go down to the 49 as a sole monitor for work purposes, I need a second for games as most games on a 49 look fucking weird (and it affects in game performance/skill etc)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:42 - 07 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran an Eyefinity display at that resolution spread over 6 screens on Dual Firepro 9800s for a test once upon a time, it worked but it chugged like hell.

Would the RX6800 run an 8k display, probably but it'd need to be a fairly large display and I'm not sure I'm ready to mount a 70" + screen to my office wall. Never mind the cost of it.

I'm going to sit on it a while and see what comes up on offers as the year ticks over.

Maybe the sweeter spot will be 3 x 27" curved 3440x1440 screens instead. There's not a lot in it cost wise.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:02 - 07 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
Would the RX6800 run an 8k display.

Easy, I'm on a 2080 Super and it will run 8k Thumbs Up

I do like the idea of double 34s, but get a standalone gas ram mount for each, you'll save muchos desk space.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:28 - 07 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

See how WFH goes over the next few months and whether i get dragged back into the office or not. I RDP to my work box at home via the network so you can customise the resolution and with some tweaking of the RDP connection file, you can tell it which of your X screens to display over. I use the left 24" and the main 40" and then keep the top 24" for 'TV' and the right 24" for my own Outlook and web browsing. It might sound an odd way to work but it really does work well.

edit: And yes, i think you could support 4 individual outputs of 8k each but you'd not be able to group those outputs in an Eyefinity group.

So if you wanted an 8k Eyefinity group you'd need to be careful which screens you picked and then how you mounted them.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 294 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1