Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Sport touring on a zx6r vs zx9r vs cbr929

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:22 - 01 Jun 2021    Post subject: Sport touring on a zx6r vs zx9r vs cbr929 Reply with quote

Hey all.
Renewal coming up means 1 extra NCD for me and 1 extra bike for the garage. Also I just returned from a 5 month hiatus so need readjusting to both my own bike and any new ones, everything seems powerful right now.

I want to get a sport bike that is still comfortable enough for long trips, some of those with a pillion. No I do not want a sport tourer, I find them ugly. Budget 2-3k.

The 98-04 ZX9R looks like a really good choice, not too heavy, wide seats, roomy, bars not too low, but I've yet to test ride one.

Yesterday I randomly had the opportunity to gibe a 636 a try, but it was a stunt bike with a 55t sprocket so it felt mental anyway, didn't really have the space or confidence for good comparison. Felt comfortable but the bars weren't stock.

Any opinions? Currently looking both up to have a look.

Last edited by SirFallalot on 12:42 - 05 Jun 2021; edited 3 times in total

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:29 - 01 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pre-B1H ZX636 (A1p I think?) will be a good sports tourer. The b1H onwards (pointy fairing, headlights on the bottom of the nose) won't. Thin seat, racing crouch.

Also, don't use a stunt bike to gauge whether you will like a bike. It's totally pointless. Do I really need to explain why?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:41 - 01 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Also, don't use a stunt bike to gauge whether you will like a bike. It's totally pointless. Do I really need to explain why?

No need to explain Laughing everything about it was mental.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:04 - 01 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early GSXR 1000's (k1/k2) might fit your brief. I used to do long days on mine when it was my only transport. Seats quite comfy, roomy compared to modern stuff, you can strap a surprising amount of crap to the back seat. Pillion perch is apparently tolerable. I was actually looking at buying a 9R when mine came up and bought it instead. Was a similar price and a decent step up in any metric on a 9R.

Oh and they go like shit off a teflon coated shovel.

Thing with any of these older big bikes, the cheap ones will have been thrashed and require a cash injection to get sweet again and the minters are usually over priced. So you either need to fork out to begin with or buy something that will likely need at least a suspension overhaul.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:32 - 01 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or if you have a few grand more a GSX-S1000F is a surprisingly sporty upright fully faired bike. Bike magazine describes it as 'a modern ZX9R'.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:51 - 01 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Or if you have a few grand more a GSX-S1000F is a surprisingly sporty upright fully faired bike. Bike magazine describes it as 'a modern ZX9R'.

Good suggestion but looking at 2-3k, also insurance on newer bikes is a killer for me.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:58 - 01 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve made two solo trips to the South of France on my G-model (‘98-‘99, 599cc) ZX6R plus short UK tours and commuting. A Renntech rack boosted luggage space nicely but the rear seat will take some baggage. Reasonable posture, bars above the yoke, 200kg, excellent fairing and screen, good mirrors, likes revs but has useful grunt at lower revs. An under-rated model, I love it.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:05 - 01 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha Fazer 600/1000 is worth checking out.

Irezumi
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:06 - 01 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a J1 ZX6R (fish eye model), was down a tooth on the front sprocket and I'm fairly light so pulled pretty well at moderate revs, handling and brakes when sorted were good, probably the best all round bike I've ever owned. A1P model with 36cc more would be an even better bet as mentioned. Between that and a ZX9R I guess it depends what you want from a bike, ZX9R will tackle the boring motorway bits easier but the ZX6R may be more fun in the twisty bits.

Also, if you intend to go 2 up then always go for larger displacement where possible. Having said that, 2 up sporty bike for touring I'd be heading straight for a Super Blackbird.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:29 - 02 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit older than the model ZX9 you're looking at, but I always really fancied an RF900 as a sporty touring bike, I really love the look too although they're admittedly a bit divisive in that regard.

929 Blade always seemed to get good reviews for touring use too.

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:18 - 03 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would a 4th gen VFR750F compare? Then my garage will be full of Hondas Laughing

Will check the 929 Blade too, seem to be priced the same as zx9r, same to insure too at around £3-400.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:05 - 03 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunderace might be worth a look too.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:06 - 03 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

SirFallalot wrote:
How would a 4th gen VFR750F compare? Then my garage will be full of Hondas Laughing

Not the same thing at all. Heavier, less power, more comfortable, but sluggish in comparison. They are more for if you want to go touring and you occasionally find yourself in the mood to cane it. Bikes like the 929 is more like a bike for caning it and it *can* go touring. the ZX9R, the pre b1h ZX6R, CBR600F etc are much more all rounders really.

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:35 - 03 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
SirFallalot wrote:

Not the same thing at all. Heavier, less power, more comfortable, but sluggish in comparison. They are more for if you want to go touring and you occasionally find yourself in the mood to cane it. Bikes like the 929 is more like a bike for caning it and it *can* go touring. the ZX9R, the pre b1h ZX6R, CBR600F etc are much more all rounders really.

I see, one's for caning with occasional touring, the other's for touring with occasional caning, priorities. Laughing

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:28 - 03 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

SirFallalot wrote:

I see, one's for caning with occasional touring, the other's for touring with occasional caning, priorities. Laughing

That's not exactly what I said, and it really doesn't describe the vast gulf between the characters of the two bikes.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 03 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 4th gen VFR. Totally different beast to the revvy IL4 kwaks you were initially talking about. VFR is smoother, more refined, almsot bulletproof if you check the leccy bits. As said, they're also heavier, not as nimble, not as punchy. You can cane one, but it's harder work if you're really getting a hustle on. Effortless, mile munching though. I get numb bum at about tank hitting red from full.

If you want an IL4 kwak, look at the ZZR1100/ZZR1200 if you the aesthetics are to your liking. ZZR1200 is fecking ugly but still surprisingly comparable with most modern bikes unless you really, really cane the tits off them. Heavier than the VFR or ZX's but gobs more power where you can use it.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:45 - 04 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tdibs wrote:
Thunderace might be worth a look too.

comfortable and handles well, but heavy and the clip ons are too low.

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:42 - 05 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've come down to the zx9r or the cbr929. Going to check the latter today.

Unfortunately my pillion isn't available to come with to see how bearable it is for 2-300 mile day rides. (For longer ones I'd either solo or take the cb).

Lots of forum posts comparing the two, but I feel no closer to seeing the pors cons of each Laughing most don't take a pillion

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:58 - 05 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ain't nobody gonna wanna be on the back of either of those for 300 miles a day, that much i can tell ya

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Last edited by trevor saxe-coburg-gotha on 18:53 - 05 Jun 2021; edited 1 time in total

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:40 - 05 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
ain't nobody gonna wanna be on the bike of either of those for 300 miles a day, that much i can tell ya

Yep, eff that, buy a Pan European for that.

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:59 - 08 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Self explanatory Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 321 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1