View previous topic : View next topic  

AL-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:50 - 04 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all Mr. Green

AL-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:23 - 11 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody got any recommendations for touching up black engine flacking?

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:02 - 14 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammerite?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:10 - 14 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

TravisBickle wrote:
Hammerite?

It's a tricky one to match. More a very dark graphite colour, sort of mid way between silk and matt. I don't think anyone does a very close match off the shelf.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:15 - 14 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's just engine side covers/casings should be fairly to either replace or remove and strip back and repaint fresh. If it's the block/head... could be an arseache, especially if it has fins.

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:24 - 14 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I'm on my 5th consecutive FZS1000 (gen 1).

5th is great but did you kill them or what? Feels like they're consumables Laughing

Sounds like the story about the first wife who died because she ate poisoned mushrooms, same happened to the second one, third one died from a head injury, she wouldn't eat the damned things.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:24 - 14 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing it's the engine side covers, since I have a bit of the same on mine. I've yet to hear of a good match, as I said. Yes, you could repaint the covers completely if you don't mind a mismatch with the rest of the engine, obviously.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:27 - 14 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

SirFallalot wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
I'm on my 5th consecutive FZS1000 (gen 1).

5th is great but did you kill them or what? Feels like they're consumables Laughing

Sounds like the story about the first wife who died because she ate poisoned mushrooms, same happened to the second one, third one died from a head injury, she wouldn't eat the damned things.

I only killed one, honest! Laughing
And actually, even that one got resurrected by someone else.
Two sold when times were hard on two different occasions. One nicked.
I just like them that much that I go straight onto another as soon as I can Smile

AL-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:56 - 15 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

TravisBickle wrote:
If it's just engine side covers/casings should be fairly to either replace or remove and strip back and repaint fresh. If it's the block/head... could be an arseache, especially if it has fins.

Yes it's engine covers. Right hand side isn't as bad but the left needs some attention

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:41 - 15 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well like chickenstrip said getting a match could be tricky but it's still probably going to look better slightly mismatched than having paint flaking off...

AL-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 15 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may just end up going to a paint shop and seeing how much they charge

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:37 - 15 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep us posted with progress and pics please Thumbs Up

AL-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:20 - 16 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I will, although your are only down the road from me in Maidstone so you may see it in person at some point Laughing

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 20 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wear our yew then?

AL-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:12 - 21 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

giz a full review

OK I'll give a full review

A bit of background information first. I have owned many bikes ranging from 125 up to 900 but never owned a thousand (have rode plenty though on test rides). I have ridden all types of bikes ranging from sports bikes, touring bikes, adventure bikes, naked etc. I have also ridden old bikes up to all the fancy newer models

In all my bike ownership only one bike truly made me feel alive and like I had a connection with it (yes sad I know). It was also the most fun bike with my wife on the back pillion. We really was able to throw the bike around the corners and it handled everything we threw at it. The bike was a 2002 Yamaha FZS600 foxeye edition. We loved it that much we even took it to our wedding. Certainly a bit bizarre your wife in full wedding dress climbing on but it was worth it and made for great pictures

My wife wanted to keep the bike and add the Fazer Thousand to the collection. However, I really wanted something modern to see how it compared so I got the Tracer 900 and then the Tracer 900 GT version after but they didn't fulfil me and although great bikes, they were not special. Pretty quick, great sound, but it just lacked any form of excitement for me. Everything was so effortless and easy to me

Fast forward over a year and the itch to go back to basics was strong and there was only one bike that was on the radar. We could have easily got another FZS600 but I wanted something more. The Fazer Thousand. I spent ages doing my research. Signed up to the FOC website, gained some knowledge and started hunting. I could have easily brought a cheap example but was prepared to wait rather than rush. Sent chickenstrip one that was of interest to me to get some advise and to see if I was in the right sort of ball park and then waited a bit longer. Then this one come up. Honestly, yes I spent more than I was willing to but I had to keep reminding myself that the rear shock alone was worth £700 and he had done nearly £500 worth of work on the front as well in addition to having the ivans full monty as well so I took a chance

Now on to the bike. I hadn't had much chance to really test the bike to its full potential......until Saturday. I took the bike and the wife for a day out full of twisties and over 200 miles and I got back grinning from ear to ear. We loved the 600, it was a great bike but the 1000 is a different animal. Best way I can describe is that it's a 600 on steroids....it really has so much power and the way it delivers it through the range is astonishing. It just pulls and pulls and wants more and more

My biggest regret is that I could have saved myself 20 grand and brought one of these sooner instead of either of the Tracers. There is a reason these bikes are so popular. I can't comment on a standard version as mine is fully modified and set up perfectly but all I know is I did not want the ride to end!

It reminded me a lot of the MT10 that we rode but just couldn't live with the fuel range long term as you can't really do any serious distance. In comparison I wasn't hanging about and the fuel light didn't come on until 180 miles!

I also can understand why many people who get rid of either the 600 fazer or the 1000 fazer have regrets because there is nothing that Yamaha has produced since this that can come close the performance, practicality and excitement of these bikes. They really are something special

The biggest compliment I can pay this bike is that is anything happened to my one then the first thing I would do is replace it.....with another Gen 1 Fazer 1000

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:53 - 21 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to tell them all, I did! Laughing

AL-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:12 - 22 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I tried to tell them all, I did! Laughing

Laughing

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:47 - 24 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 1999 Fazer 600. It wasn't my first big bike but it was my first love. Moved on to a 2014 Fazer 1000 after a year and while the extra torque and power was exciting it lacked the comfort of the one-piece seat on the older models. Got an MT10 a couple of months ago and the thing is savage, in another league to the previous two. More comfortable than the 2014 Fazer as well (especially with the addition of the comfort seat).

Loved all three bikes equally, at the time I owned them. Not sure I'd wanna go back now though. I will agree the fuel range on the MT is woeful and the Fazers provided slightly better protection from the elements with their bikini fairings. Would like to see a 'Fazer' edition of the MT but don't think it'll happen because this whole Transformers look has become a thing for the MT range (I've settled for a medium-tall screen on mine).

Also because the MT has SO much torque it kinda takes the fun out of wringing its neck because by the time you're making the thing sing you're already doing triple digits. Whereas the old Fazers used to want to be revved out to a certain degree. Not that the MT doesn't want to be revved, just that by the time you get it there you're already going too fast.

One thing's for sure Yamaha certainly do know how to make a sporty naked tourer, whatever the era!

If you can live with the carbs, yeah, possibly the FZS100 is the bike to have. It's not jack of all trades master of none. It's master of all trades! Best bang for buck you can buy!

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:48 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the two bikes that I'd pick to go out on, take it from me, it's not the blue one!

Fueling on a carbed bike is going to be infinitely smoother than digital fuel injection. I know there's no hesitation on pickup in the midrange on the Fazer, so for a road bike, it's what you want.

Suspension is more compliant and adequate for what you want it to do. The R1 is a bone shaker by comparison, and that's with me adjusting the damping and preload for road.

I'd recommend an gen 1 over a gen 2 because

1) Tank range is greater
2) Fuel economy is better (either through gearing and midrange) - 210 on a tank quite regularly when on motorway commutes
3) You won't have the dreaded stator issues which affected 5VY powerplants and FZ1s.

https://scontent.fbrs4-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/123855806_752634748930892_7617766111284141929_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=19026a&_nc_ohc=QlJmLhIg_FgAX8t0PsP&_nc_ht=scontent.fbrs4-2.fna&oh=7a5f2aa255c7322e5560a6bbb0f31464&oe=60FA1290
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 274 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2