Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

gumtree scam - how does this one play out?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:43 - 07 Jun 2021    Post subject: gumtree scam - how does this one play out? Reply with quote

my bike's on gumtree - only since this morning though

by PM today I get this from someone - it's their second message, first asking to buy the bike, me replying and saying yeah sure, the ad comes down once the amount plus fees is in my paypal account:

Great! please consider it sold and take the ads down off gumtree,i am buying it for my son and i am ready to pay your full asking price, i have read through the advert and I'm totally satisfied with it and i will be glad if you can get back to me fast, sadly i won't be able to come for the inspection and pick up due to my disabilities, I loss my hearing and being on a wheelchair but I have a courier agent that will help me to pick it up at your preferred location Regarding the payment..i can't make an online banking am having technical issue with my bank and i can only access my PayPal account at the moment and I will be responsible for all the PayPal fee/charges on this transaction kindly get back to me with your PayPal email, Phone Number and the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now? Awaiting your reply soon.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:48 - 07 Jun 2021    Post subject: Re: gumtree scam - how does this one play out? Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

by PM today I get this from someone - it's their second message, first asking to buy the bike, me replying and saying yeah sure, the ad comes down once the amount plus fees is in my paypal account:

Great! please consider it sold and take the ads down off gumtree,i am buying it for my son and i am ready to pay your full asking price, i have read through the advert and I'm totally satisfied with it and i will be glad if you can get back to me fast, sadly i won't be able to come for the inspection and pick up due to my disabilities, I loss my hearing and being on a wheelchair but I have a courier agent that will help me to pick it up at your preferred location Regarding the payment..i can't make an online banking am having technical issue with my bank and i can only access my PayPal account at the moment and I will be responsible for all the PayPal fee/charges on this transaction kindly get back to me with your PayPal email, Phone Number and the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now? Awaiting your reply soon.

It plays out with you having no bike and no money for the bike.

Obv.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:51 - 07 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do they get the bike?

and why would they want a poxy 20 year old cbr600 worth 2k?

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:56 - 07 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

They get a courier to pick the bike up and then file a claim with paypal to refund the payment. I think most of the bikes end up going abroad.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:01 - 07 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i thought it was something along those lines - I just didn't know they could quite get the claim w/ paypal to go through so easily

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:02 - 07 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're an absolute mad man accepting PayPal as payment in the first place.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:10 - 07 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Report them to gumtree, their account will be taken down. This exact scam was on radio 4s consumer program last week. Word-for-word the same except they are now claiming to be deaf too, they were answering the phones last week.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:20 - 07 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Report them to gumtree, their account will be taken down. This exact scam was on radio 4s consumer program last week. Word-for-word the same except they are now claiming to be deaf too, they were answering the phones last week.

yeah i thought the deaf bit was quite clever - i wondered what they'd do if i said i need to talk to your son, there's one or two little quirks with the bike he should know about

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:22 - 07 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been around for a while. It's usually a very good, but fake, cashiers cheque, the paypal part is a new twist on an old scam. As said, no bike, no money, and usually, no recourse as they're almost certainly not in the UK.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:43 - 07 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently put my 'classic' CX Embarassed up on Gumtree just to test the water for what I thought was an OTT sum.
£2107 to be precise
I almost immediately got offered 2k for it which if I was seriously flogging it would have been nice but as I got no questions about it just the offer, it made me somewhat suspicious.
It may have been a kosher offer but I reckon it pays to assume its all at least a potential scam until the cash is in yer hand.
Paypal? no effing way

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:46 - 07 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the oldest scams around. PayPal pretty much always sides with the buyer, so they'll just claim a load of BS and PayPal will almost certainly refund them.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:32 - 07 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The payment you receive would be from a stolen paypal account.

When the account holder notices the transaction and reports it to their bank, the payment will be reversed.

At this point you have no bike and no money. If you withdraw it from your Paypal before the account holder notices the transaction then your Paypal account balance will become negative.

They would not be using their own paypal account. Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:33 - 07 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've given up on Gumtree. Comes to something when it makes Facebook marketplace look legit!

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:46 - 07 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
The payment you receive would be from a stolen paypal account.

When the account holder notices the transaction and reports it to their bank, the payment will be reversed.

At this point you have no bike and no money. If you withdraw it from your Paypal before the account holder notices the transaction then your Paypal account balance will become negative.

They would not be using their own paypal account. Laughing

Yep. That ^^^

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:56 - 07 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. That's not what happens.

If you go any further with it, the buyer will tell you he has arranged for the courier to come and collect the bike but that due to the afore-mentioned fault with his bank account, he's been unable to pay them.

It will transpire that for some improbable reason, the courier will now only accept payment with Amazon gift cards that you can handily purchase at your local supermarket. Of course he is disabled, deaf and in a wheelchair so he can't get them. It's ok, you can still help this poor disabled person. He will paypal you the money for the courier in advance. All you need to do is purchase the cards on his behalf then scrape off the foil and read him the numbers...

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:56 - 08 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know someone who not only fell for that and sent them 2 or 3 hundred, but then asked me to borrow £200 as it wasn't enough for the courier. Was a bit upset when I didn't, but later realised he was out of pocket and no closer to selling the bike.

Not what I expected from someone in their 30s. Neutral Appalling

Adame
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 07:13 - 08 Jun 2021    Post subject: Re: gumtree scam - how does this one play out? Reply with quote

I got the same exact message for my bike! Scam!

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:53 - 08 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's a scam - I was just curious how it worked. Interesting to see someone else is getting this shit though.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:16 - 08 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gumtree, scumtree, scamtree...

..see what I did there Wink

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:28 - 08 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it was Gumtree but a friend spotted a bike he fancied. Problem 1: located in Scotland, Problem 2: "I'm not in the country right now but you can pick it up from my ex-wife..." Problem 3: "completely safe as we'll set up an escrow account"

FFS, keep the scams simple pls Rolling Eyes

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:51 - 11 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I don't know if it was Gumtree but a friend spotted a bike he fancied. Problem 1: located in Scotland, Problem 2: "I'm not in the country right now but you can pick it up from my ex-wife..." Problem 3: "completely safe as we'll set up an escrow account"

FFS, keep the scams simple pls Rolling Eyes

There was a bloke trying to sell imaginary BMWs out of the Shetlands or Orkneys to prevent visits a while back . My bro said no problem I work in Oil Industry and I'm coming over next week, when can I see it.. a series of poor excuses and then the ebay listings vanished. Cvnt.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

WATP
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:14 - 18 Jun 2021    Post subject: Re: gumtree scam - how does this one play out? Reply with quote

I had exactly the same message when I sold my bandit 1250. I played along and said put a deposit in , and the bike won't be going anywhere until I have all the money.
Stopped messaging !
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 310 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1