Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda Rebel CMX250 Engine Kaput?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Honda Rebel Rider
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 04:51 - 11 Jun 2021    Post subject: Honda Rebel CMX250 Engine Kaput? Reply with quote

Greetings forum, and Hello to you all!

I have an old Honda Rebel that has been my primary source of transportation for the past 2 years or so. The bike has been acting up recently, and unfortunately, I think I have had a catastrophic issue with the engine.

When I pulled the top end (just the valve cover) off my CMX250, I noticed quite a bit of play in the cam chain, even though there is a cam chain guide AND cam chain tensioner in the cylinder.

Would anyone have some expertise they can bestow upon me? I would be truly grateful!

Thank you.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 08:55 - 11 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cam chains don't last forever. They are a wearable part.

Can chain tennsioners don't last forever. They are a wearable part.

Self-adjusting camchain tensioners do not always self adjust.

So.

I would measure the camchain to see if it's worn out. There is usually a measurement in the manual for the maximum distance between a specified number of pins. If it is over this measurement, the camchain needs to be replaced.

I would remove and inspect the camchain tensioner blade to check it is not worn out, damaged (or in extreme cases, missing).

I would them re-fire the camchain tensioner and ensure it is correctly tensioning the chain.

I would then check the timing has not slipped before reassembling the bike.

If there is a significant amount of wear/damage to the tensioner blade, I would change the oil and clean the oil filter screen.

I'm not familiar with the CMX engine but if they are similar to the older CB250 motors, the CCT is a sort of sprung, curved plastic blade. On the CB250, it was in theory self-adjusting but the spring wasn't strong enough so you had to periodically loosen the adjuster nut, push down on top of the CCT with a screwdriver and re-tighten the nut. I've seen old superdream camchains chainsaw their way out through the barrel.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:31 - 11 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

you state 'catastrophic issue'.

Does it still run? or did it make a bad noise and then stop.

Stinker's advice is spot on - unless bad things happened prior.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 311 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1