Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

In-tank fuel filters

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:27 - 10 Jun 2021    Post subject: In-tank fuel filters Reply with quote

Fitting a pingel fuel tap to my big bullet. I had to use an adapter with it (they are American threaded).

Due to, frankly, inattention on my part I've torn the gauze filter that goes over the inlet as I fitted the adapter. These are apparently made of unobtanium. You can buy brass mesh to make your own but I can't find a ready supply of pre-made ones that are long enough. I'm not sure if my soldering is good enough to make a new one from scratch.

Now the question. Do I actually need a new one? The damage was right at the top of the filter, the gauze goes all the way up past the top of the reserve tube but the "pinched" part is damaged and there isn't enough mesh left to re-work it (and it looks like stainless mesh which would be a pig to solder).

I'm just thinking, there probably isn't all that much chance of bits of dirt and detritus getting in the top when it's on the main "on" setting. All the junk will be sitting in the bottom of the tank so the filter is probably only necessary when on reserve?

Just after thoughts really. I'd normally just remove the sock altogether and fit an inline filter. A few reasons not to. One of them is that this is a super-high flow tap which it would be a shame to restrict by fitting a filter, another is lack of space -it's a short run from tap to carb inlet-, the third is the tap itself is an expensive piece of kit, it feels like I should protect the tap too.

TL;DR Torn the gauze filter over the fuel tap. Would it be ok to just leave the top open rather than fabricating a new one? Or am I just being lazy and avoiding doing what is necessary?

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 12:59 - 10 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, all the crap quickly sinks to the bottom of the tank and mixes with any water it finds down there to make brown sludges. I have never had enough crap get down to the carb from the ON setting of the fuel tap to notice/cause problems. Switching to reserve is when I see the filter go brown.

As for not running a filter, are you going to be putting enough fuel through this bike to stop water accumulating? A filter lets you see what is happening, and with ethanol in petrol I'm seeing a lot more water accumulate in my rarely-used bike. Enough to warrant draining ~20cc of water out of the reserve every couple of months. The bike lives in a garage, so it isn't rain.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:10 - 10 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
In my experience, all the crap quickly sinks to the bottom of the tank and mixes with any water it finds down there to make brown sludges. I have never had enough crap get down to the carb from the ON setting of the fuel tap to notice/cause problems. Switching to reserve is when I see the filter go brown.

As for not running a filter, are you going to be putting enough fuel through this bike to stop water accumulating? A filter lets you see what is happening, and with ethanol in petrol I'm seeing a lot more water accumulate in my rarely-used bike. Enough to warrant draining ~20cc of water out of the reserve every couple of months. The bike lives in a garage, so it isn't rain.

It's running high octane fuel due to the compression ratio so I don't think ethanol is going to be quite such an issue. The stuff I drained out of the tank that's been in there all winter was clear as a bell. The tank has also been POR15 lined so corrosion shouldn't be an issue.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:37 - 10 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've got an inline filter between the tank and the carb then I suppose the tap could get clogged up Thinking I wouldn't worry too much.

BTW that looks like marine-grade stainless steel mesh rather than brass. Maybe make a little mesh "sock" to slip over the top?

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:15 - 10 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assume that's a pic of a new pingle tap and not sure of how much damage yours actually has, but I might consider putting a dab of JB weld over the tear in the sock as long as it didnt significantly obstruct flow
in order to allow only filtered fuel to the carb.
I've used JB weld on fuel contact parts in the past and never had it turn to snot or dissolve.
the faster setting JB kwik may do as well, AFAIK it has the same properties as JB weld but a lower working temp which isnt an issue here

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:27 - 10 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't rely on s4it staying on the bottom of the tank if it's bouncing down the road.
Murphy's Law of Negative Returns comes to mind.

If you have anything left of an old screen is it a possibility to 'suture' a patch/graft from that to cover the open end of the new filter?

Un-Pick some wires from the old mesh as your cat gut.

I only use wot they sell at the pump which is all part efanol and has been for years.
The choice was removed by government.

I have not ever noticed any water in the tanks of any of two bikes I run (one at a time).

As far as I know, water dissolves in efanol which is in turn, becomes dissolved in the fuel. So any detriment would possibly only be as a drop in performance due to the lower energy of efanol. Water would further dilute that energy. (Plus possible corrosion and a harbour for bacteria.)
But water injection does remove/keep carbon deposits down in exhaust systems.

Water in fuel tanks most probably gets in via rainy day top ups or leaking filler caps.

I have NEVER got 'bad' fuel from a pump in the UK. Ever.

Where is the science when it is needed?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:04 - 11 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Assume that's a pic of a new pingle tap and not sure of how much damage yours actually has,

My "sock" is torn off just below the "pinched" area at the top.

There is a spacer that locates the sock on the end of the fuel inlet pipe so only the half inch part of the mesh that's above that spacer is filtering the fuel when the tap in the on position.

In the interest of nothing ventured, nothing gained. I'll buy a bit of that brass mesh and see if I can solder the edge of it together into a tube. I have a cunning plan in that I could try to slather plenty of solder along the join then go back and use de-soldering wick to remove the excess from where it isn't wanted.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:06 - 11 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

This is as close to science as I've seen in a vaguely interesting format.
https://youtu.be/UvS_D4_lF5U

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:11 - 11 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

As man who's probably sewn up hundreds of dog's scrotums, could you not stitch together the teabag with compatible thread?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:09 - 11 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
MCN wrote:

This is as close to science as I've seen in a vaguely interesting format.
https://youtu.be/UvS_D4_lF5U

Man with too much Shop-time on his hands. Obviously no weans or wife. Very Happy

He does take time and effort to run all his testing of stuff. Trustworthy comment too.

The Internet still works if one can make a clearing through the thorny brush and nettles.

https://www.abfad.co.uk/editorial/battling-biofuel-bacteria/

My involvement with 'heavy' Diesel engines over a millenia has provided much experience with shite in Diesel fuel.
Mostly people consider dirt as a problem and filtration prevents damage caused by dirt. (Blockages and abrasive wear to close fitting fuel equipment.)
But The problem we most regularly encounter is fuel restrictions due to bacteria film plugging the filter medium.
It forms a blanket over filter papers/cloths.
A common event is in stand-by/emergency generators or fire pumps.
This stuff, if not maintained responsibly, will definitely stop right in the middle of the party.
If regular running is normal then the continuous flow and topping up with fresh fuel limits the effects of bacteria growth.
But for equipment that is only occasionally used the dormant periods is when bacteria can thrive undisturbed to reach problem levels.
The beast will start as normal, do what ever work it is asked to do but will then die. Blocked filters.

The bacteria/s live in water and live off the fuel. Exist as a form of long threads or films of slime/gel.

There are chemicals that can be added to control them.

But the main control is to use good, clean and fresh fuel. And keep tanks full to prevent condensation. The condensation provides the water habitat for the organisms.

In Project Farm clip the stuff he scraped off the metal test pieces was possibly a bacterial film. Microscopic study may have shown that.
Its 'usually' difficult to get through the layer of rust on aluminimimum to get to the base metal. Acids or mechanical means can do that.
Aluminium wont rust in clean water but will is an ioniser is present. Salt etc. does that.

https://fractory.com/aluminium-corrosion/

(I've not read enough about the mechanics of bacterial corrosion yet.)

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:46 - 11 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
As man who's probably sewn up hundreds of dog's scrotums, could you not stitch together the teabag with compatible thread?

Stinkers probably uses a laser knife to Slice, Dice and Cauterize Nutsaks now-a-days.
No time for elaborating over embroidery in the fast-paced-day of a Cuntry Veterinary Practice.

https://youtu.be/RrpdS9drKb0

(Stinkers as a boy.)

Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:30 - 11 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stitching it would be very tricky indeed, it's extremely fine mesh and stainless is a total bastard of a material to work with at the best of times.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:52 - 11 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Stitching it would be very tricky indeed, it's extremely fine mesh and stainless is a total bastard of a material to work with at the best of times.

Solder will work if one part is brass. Enough blobbery on the brass will mechanically fix the stainless. Blow torch/flame heat will be more suitable than an iron.
Stainless has heat conductivity issues as well as chemical stuff that makes is a bastirt.

Flux it all. The other issue is lead free solder and the problems that introduces.

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:03 - 11 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Difficult to get a feel for it with no piccies, but how about substitute the damaged part with a solid bit of tube, will the remainder have enough open area to allow enough fuel through?

Or using your method of soldering, could you not dip the whole thing in solder bath and tap sharply whilst still molten to remove the surplus?

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:47 - 11 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Araldite or liquid metal?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:09 - 11 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

GettinBetter wrote:
Difficult to get a feel for it with no piccies, but how about substitute the damaged part with a solid bit of tube, will the remainder have enough open area to allow enough fuel through?

That would be no different to just not pinching over the top.

EDIT: I'm going to try making a new one. Brass mesh on order. No way I'm pissing about trying to solder stainless that's been sitting in fuel. I do have some bakers fluid flux I use for mild steel control cables and they are bad enough if they're not bright shiny new.

Lead free solder can suck my dick.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:04 - 27 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, new skill aquired.

Brass mesh is relatively easy to solder with the correct equipment. It is a total pain in the arse to hold in place while you do it. It is very easy to cock it up at the last minute if you start to rush.

I found a piece of pipe with an OD the same as the required ID. I cut the mesh to be roughly 1mm over-wide so there was a very slight overlap when it is wrapped tightly round the pipe. Having wrapped it tightly round the pipe, I held the mesh in place with a couple of pieces of tightly twisted wire.

Then it's a case of sliding about 3cm of the mesh off the end of the pipe (so it keeps its shape and has the edges together), painting an acid flux along the seam then running solder along the seam. I used 0.75mm resin cored lead-tin solder and I used a hot air pyro-pen (the type with a catalytic element in that you'd normally screw a soldering head to, but without the soldering head. NOT the type with an actual flame, this just immediately overheated and oxidised the mesh). It takes remarkably little heat to flow the solder.

Once that bit is soldered, another bit can be advanced off the pipe and joined. You need to take care not to overheat everything and spring apart the previous joint. As soon as the solder starts to flow, you need to remove the heat.

This was not my first attempt!
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLVgx2cpsaqvle68lplASEQBZQfiBeZQODVRjARj3UNQbXtiAA5EDijVOruhnNsAeWRQNQMObRnIEGl1B_lQ8h0ocpKStlw-W0dsnvWL5wR7Hteiqp9fdrl0mmuaZrYSAGN_YpY2ef5bnka3_NRakJOe=w1576-h886-no

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:36 - 27 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Low melting point lead/tin solder would probably be ideal for this sort of thing or LMP solder paste. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 297 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1