Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Getting bikes through ULEZ test

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:06 - 03 Mar 2020    Post subject: Getting bikes through ULEZ test Reply with quote

So I'm in a bit of a pickle now.

For background:
I've just gotten an unexpected job inside the ULEZ, and my baby won't do. Just turned 24 so was planning to do full A.

It's a lot of planning and money to dump on short notice, already did an eye test to get updated glasses....need to do the tests, get a newer bike insure it (new bikes are 2 to 3 times as much as mine, I still have 5 more months till I get my first ncd, as I wasn't the main rider on my 125 and they wouldn't change it even I started riding daily Crying or Very sad )

Anyways, I've seen this https://www.bikerandbike.co.uk/list-pre-euro-3-motorcycles-with-ulez-exemptions/ and some of those are pretty dogs on fuel

I was wondering how much risk is to dump the £175 on that and have freedom to do the rest on my own time.

Anyone here do any mods to help the bike get through it to recommend? Adjust mix? Additives? Block of one of the carbs to reduce fuel burned by 25%? Laughing

Plan B is a 2008 GSF650 Surprised ride-able whether I do the tests or not

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:19 - 03 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked There's a 1984 RD350 on there.

Also, "An independent garage, Riverbank Motorcycles in East London, has made a considerable investment to become a recognised tester of NOx emissions for motorcycles – the only one in London. They charge a fee of £175 per test but say the majority of motorcycles they test do pass.

When a motorcycle’s test result is close to the limit Riverbank can often tune the engine so it does become compliant."

It's a slight gamble, but once it passes you can sell the bike as ULEZ compliant in the future. If I was in that situation with my 2002 Triumph I'd be putting the stock exhaust back on, loading a lean engine map and getting the certificate.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:43 - 03 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: Getting bikes through ULEZ test Reply with quote

TheWhiteBaron wrote:
I've just gotten an unexpected job inside the ULEZ, and my baby won't do.

Do you actually need to use it (94 CB400 I assume) inside the ULEZ? The ULEZ isn't very big.

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:15 - 03 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: Getting bikes through ULEZ test Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
TheWhiteBaron wrote:

Do you actually need to use it (94 CB400 I assume) inside the ULEZ? The ULEZ isn't very big.

Yeah, it's just on the north edge of Vauxhall pleasure gardens...I had a look for motorcycle bays south of the border and I'd walk the rest but didn't find any Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy there's a huge bay but inside the damn zone, what a troller. Flip plate? Laughing

The train is double the price of petrol for the trip, so in the end still works out cheaper.

So, as for the test, who thinks starving one of the carbs will cut emissions Laughing I saw some bike that had a pipe from the air box to the exhaust to mix some fresh air in there...?

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:32 - 03 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try giving that Riverbank a call, or drop in there and ask them if they have any suggestions. You're going to end up going to them anyway as they're the only gig in town (unless others have set up), so it's going to be in their interest to advise you.
Having said that they may get a lot of what if daydreamer calls everyday....

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:06 - 03 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

How far out are '90s carb-based bikes for emissions? Or is that too much "how long's a piece of string?" Basically, how much success have people had squeaking this sort of bike through the tests?

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:24 - 03 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
How far out are '90s carb-based bikes for emissions? Or is that too much "how long's a piece of string?" Basically, how much success have people had squeaking this sort of bike through the tests?

That's what I'm trying to see, haven't found anything for my specific model, Honda don' have won't give a CoC either (see what I did there). Most of those bikes are carbed (if not all??)

jnw010 wrote:
Try giving that Riverbank a call, or drop in there and ask them if they have any suggestions. You're going to end up going to them anyway as they're the only gig in town (unless others have set up), so it's going to be in their interest to advise you.
Having said that they may get a lot of what if daydreamer calls everyday....

Good idea, might as well pass by there, they're probably used to it and know what they've passed that ppl haven't posted online. I haven't seen where the place is yet, be funny if it was inside the ULEZ Laughing

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 15:48 - 03 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWhiteBaron wrote:

Honda don' have won't give a CoC either

Honda sent me a coc free of charge after a simple request

https://coc-registration.honda.eu/cocobo/registration

i registered my CBF600 with TFL and its exempt.

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:45 - 04 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinK98 wrote:
TheWhiteBaron wrote:

Honda don' have won't give a CoC either

Honda sent me a coc free of charge after a simple request

https://coc-registration.honda.eu/cocobo/registration

i registered my CBF600 with TFL and its exempt.

I tried them, but my bike is too old and they could not provided one.

Anyways, thanks for the input everyone, I'll take an afternoon to pop into their smoke shop.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 04 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if a specific model has already been tested by these chaps and found to be 'under' that doesn't apply to all of the same?

You still have to have an individual machine tested??

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:29 - 04 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
So if a specific model has already been tested by these chaps and found to be 'under' that doesn't apply to all of the same?

You still have to have an individual machine tested??

Yes, the basis being that "there's far too many models and model changes to keep track of, and differently maintained machines will have different outputs". Way to make money guvnor.

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:01 - 04 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: Getting bikes through ULEZ test Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
TheWhiteBaron wrote:

Gets bigger in october 2021, out to the north and south circulars
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:07 - 04 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: Getting bikes through ULEZ test Reply with quote

Quote:

Yeah, it's just on the north edge of Vauxhall pleasure gardens...I had a look for motorcycle bays south of the border and I'd walk the rest but didn't find any Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy there's a huge bay but inside the damn zone, what a troller. Flip plate? Laughing

The train is double the price of petrol for the trip, so in the end still works out cheaper.

So, as for the test, who thinks starving one of the carbs will cut emissions Laughing I saw some bike that had a pipe from the air box to the exhaust to mix some fresh air in there...?

If its that close, do what i do. (At least until the zone expands) - im staying in temp accomodation in kennington, the entrance to the garage is in the zone by half a street, i ride to the end of the road then dismount and push it along the footpath until im past the camera / into the garage. A few of the entrances to the zone are forward facing cameras, so picking a careful route in you may find you slip under the radar. Add your reg to autopay and the odd occasion you screw up, the worse that happens is you pay the tax for that day, rather than the massive fine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kolu
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:16 - 04 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: Getting bikes through ULEZ test Reply with quote

TheWhiteBaron wrote:

I would actually guess that you might want to enrich your mixture a bit as the ULEZ is based only on NOx emissions which decrease as you make the mixture richer.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:48 - 05 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: Getting bikes through ULEZ test Reply with quote

TaffyTDM wrote:
If its that close, do what i do. (At least until the zone expands) - im staying in temp accomodation in kennington, the entrance to the garage is in the zone by half a street, i ride to the end of the road then dismount and push it along the footpath until im past the camera / into the garage. A few of the entrances to the zone are forward facing cameras, so picking a careful route in you may find you slip under the radar. Add your reg to autopay and the odd occasion you screw up, the worse that happens is you pay the tax for that day, rather than the massive fine

I like your lateral thinking! What would be the deal (as in what fines and penalties could get thrown at you) if you were to remove or cover the number plate of a bike (a car would be impractical) and push it down the road? Both in relation to the ULEZ and generally?

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:49 - 05 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are pushing it, push it on the pavement, no need to cover the plate as the camera is fixed and wont focus on it, and if on the odd chance you do the image will see you pushing and it will be quashed. No need to cover your plate, no need to risk the 100 pound fine and potential tpac'ing. Ive been doing it for 8 months, no issues. I ride straight out the other way as its a forward facing in that direction and as its anpr, wouldnt even register my presence

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:53 - 05 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt recommend riding around cental london with missing plates now there is belated support for police action, the chance of a fine for no plate (non endorsable) is low but id be more concerned about being confused for a hoodrat and being the subject of a lawful spazzing. Honestly if its a 100 yards to the bay, ignition off amd walk it on the footpath. Check which way the exit camera faces to potentially save you a bit of faff at the end of the day

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:45 - 09 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: Getting bikes through ULEZ test Reply with quote

TaffyTDM wrote:

That's....genius........

I think they're both forward facing. But I'll add it to autopay and try it out. I hope no one's lurking around the forums and starts fixing these heh. I don't understand why some are forward facing only though? Surely they knew bikes would skip those.

https://i.ibb.co/t87MSpd/Capture.png
safest way to share photos

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:19 - 09 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Careful. I had a peek on Google maps and those right-hand cameras look to be pointing down the road to check out the backs of cars (and bikes.)

I'll try and pay more attention, next time I'm going through Vauxhall.

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:55 - 09 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Careful. I had a peek on Google maps and those right-hand cameras look to be pointing down the road to check out the backs of cars (and bikes.)

You are correct, on that junction the two posts cover front and back. However there are others that dont, including on the vauxhall side. If you are aiming for the massive bay behind chariots/where metropolis was its just as easy to pull up at the lights next to the royal Vauxhall tavern and walk the bike across the dropped kerbs into goding street, again, the only movement in the zone is pushing with the engine off.

Dont forget most of the cameras were put up for the congestion charge, which doesnt apply to bikes so it wasnt essential to try and cover both angles save for major junctions where buses etc got in the way
Its only useful if you are only going so far in, there are more cameras dotted within the zone (to capture those that happened to come in with a lorry behind them etc Embarassed )

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:39 - 10 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

TaffyTDM wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

You are correct, on that junction the two posts cover front and back. However there are others that dont, including on the vauxhall side. If you are aiming for the massive bay behind chariots/where metropolis was its just as easy to pull up at the lights next to the royal Vauxhall tavern and walk the bike across the dropped kerbs into goding street, again, the only movement in the zone is pushing with the engine off.

Dont forget most of the cameras were put up for the congestion charge, which doesnt apply to bikes so it wasnt essential to try and cover both angles save for major junctions where buses etc got in the way
Its only useful if you are only going so far in, there are more cameras dotted within the zone (to capture those that happened to come in with a lorry behind them etc Embarassed )

Phew thanks. I'll setup autopay and ride there one of these days to confirm.
Yes I was aiming either for that giant bay by the tavern, the company might have parking as well, I need to ask, but it's a 2 minute walk anyway. Pfffft you're so right, there's even a dropped kerb because of the bicycles, I can just walk the bike a few meters and that's it. Genius..... Mr. Green

Don't these guys look suspicious Shocked
https://i.ibb.co/TqsRxw9/image.png

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 03:01 - 11 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

This additive has been recommended somewhere. Not tried it myself. https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=5&NU=15&M=91&Ct=EN&SbCt=BA_15_91_EN_20&spPage=2

It's claimed to 'drastically reduce emissions of hydrocarbon (HC), carbon dioxide (CO2) and nitrous oxide (NOx).'

Or you can let a lock and chain casually dangle over your plate. Or cover it in mud. Both are comparatively trivial offences. Don't change the characters, that's a criminal offence.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 93 days between these two posts...

Drifter17a
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:52 - 12 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone received coc for yamaha r6 5sl 2004?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 317 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1